Page 55 of 403 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105155 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 10054

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Richards was awesome the second half of last season through the playoffs. So even with his atrocious season, I'm not writing him off as a Ranger yet.

You're right, Yves. Offense is non-existant and that PP is a flat out embarrassment! Pierre McGuire blew a gasket that last game screaming about there not being any structure He was absolutely right! And I can't stand that guy! That has to be mostly on the coaches even though you can't excuse the players. Mike Sullivan (asst coach) runs the PP. Teams should gain momentum with a PP not lose it like the Rangers do. Drives me insane!

Anyway, I'll be cheering as always, but its hard to be optimistic down 3-zip. Richards and Asham (i dont get that one...hes been solid) are scratched tonight. Haley and Newbury in and possibly Clowe could be back. Looks like we're going out with a bang.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    unfortunately he has been useless in NYR system (just like Gaborik and Nash)...he is still a great player though...
    Agreed Richards just never seem to fit in and although Gaborik had his hot streaks he just wasn't very consistent. As for Nash I was hoping he would be scratched as well tonight but at least Tortorella did something. Hopefully we will see a charged up Ranger team in the first 20 minutes tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Richards was awesome the second half of last season through the playoffs. So even with his atrocious season, I'm not writing him off as a Ranger
    I was hoping he would bounce back to the players he once was too but your presently the assistent Captain and one of the highest paid players on the team and your a healthy scratch for a second round elimination playoff game....sounds like his days as a Ranger are numbered.

I have a hard time getting on Nash too much. It's frustrating as hell, but the guy has been double and triple teamed all playoffs long. That's no easy task for any player...easy task for the fans of course! If the Rangers were able to have 4 lines chip in, it would probably open things up for him a bit. Sadly, not with this team.

If we get bounced tonight or whenever, I'm easily on the Senator bandwagon. However, things aren't lookin too good there either so hmmm...

I may pull for Boston being an Original 6 and east coast, but I love underdogs so I may just jump on Detroits bandwagon. I have a hard time pulling for California teams

I'm probably a little over critical of Nash but all will be forgotten after we win the next four and go on to the next round

Definitely can't root for west coast but I just can't see myself cheering on the Bruins either so it looks like the winner of the Hawks/Wings series as I don't see the Sens coming back to win their series.

Alive
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I guess I'm not going to need to post my spoked-B broom image.

Now that looked like a team with some fight. Nice job by the Rangers to stay alive. One more and were back in this.

If you would have told me a week ago that the Red Wings would be up 3 to 1 over the Blackhawks I would have said you were crazy, but things are looking good. I was at work so could only listen to it so did not get to see any of it.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator1634 View Post
    Now that looked like a team with some fight. Nice job by the Rangers to stay alive. One more and were back in this.
    I guess that moves "Dancing With The Homeless" back another night.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator1634 View Post
    Now that looked like a team with some fight.
    And a lot of luck. Those 2 goals Rangers scored in regulation. Wow.
    OT winner was nice. Nash doing what we've expected of him all playoff long. Great pass.
    "I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about."
    - Peter Griffin ("Family Guy")

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by HealthyNational View Post
    And a lot of luck. Those 2 goals Rangers scored in regulation. Wow.
    OT winner was nice. Nash doing what we've expected of him all playoff long. Great pass.
    The first one was lucky for sure and just when they needed it. That goal was huge it got them back into the game.
    The second goal was a great hussle and back check play by Stepan. Made Chara look bad.

Perhaps Nash is coming around but we still need more out of him. Hopefully we get it tomorrow!

I have a hard time getting on Nash too much. It's frustrating as hell, but the guy has been double and triple teamed all playoffs long. That's no easy task for any player...easy task for the fans of course! If the Rangers were able to have 4 lines chip in, it would probably open things up for him a bit. Sadly, not with this team.

If we get bounced tonight or whenever, I'm easily on the Senator bandwagon. However, things aren't lookin too good there either so hmmm...

I may pull for Boston being an Original 6 and east coast, but I love underdogs so I may just jump on Detroits bandwagon. I have a hard time pulling for California teams
    That okay we hate you back too. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Have ya seen the Penguins?? Cindy & Co. are the team to beat.
    6-2 win as they eliminate Ottawa.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

<plays taps>

Props to Boston. They were the better team. Rangers went out with a bang the last 2 games though .

So now I pull for Boston easily over the Pittsburgh Vaginas. In the West, probably Detroit over Chicago though I've always liked both teams. I think I'll pull for San Jose only because they haven't gotten there yet.

Good luck to everyone still in it!

So now I pull for Boston easily over the Pittsburgh Vaginas. In the West, probably Detroit over Chicago though I've always liked both teams. I think I'll pull for San Jose only because they haven't gotten there yet.

Good luck to everyone still in it!
    Yup.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

How time flies. It will now be at least 20 years since the Rangers hoisted Lord Stanleys Cup.
    Anywho, as much as I would rather see Boston go on to play in the Finals, my $$ is on the Pens to be circling around the ice in a few weeks with the hardware raised. Vs. L.A. who will defeat Detroit on their way to defend the prize. Looking forward to some good action regardless.

Have to hand it to Boston no doubt they were the better team in this series. If their rookies and 4th line continue to play as they have they are going to give the Pens a run for there money.

I guess not having to spend $500 for 2 tickets plus another hundred for food and drink for game 6 was the only positive from the loss. As for the Rangers whether it be coaches or players hoping to see some personnel changes for next season. I don't feel very confident in any immediate success with the current system in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    How time flies. It will now be at least 20 years since the Rangers hoisted Lord Stanleys Cup.
    Child's play. 1967 was the Leafs last win. Call me when the Ranger's are pushing 50 without a cup.

Here is the solution to the Ranger's problems. Trade Henrik. Yes, I honestly feel that way.

He KILLS them. I know every other Ranger fan is now shaking their heads at this, or maybe their fists, but I feel it is true.

Henrik is FANTASTIC as stopping shots. But that is it.

One thing he is also fantastic at it giving up rebounds.

Here is how this creates problems.
    1. I have played hockey my whole life and have never seen a team with such a poor offense as the Rangers, despite having such fantastic talent. Now how is this Henrik's fault? Typical teams defensive schemes involve forwards playing defensively between the point men and the top of the circles. Because Henrik gives up so many 30 foot rebounds, the Ranger's forwards have to play much lower, usually down at the dots to try to control rebounds, and then having to scurry out to dive in front of point shots because they were not able to interdict those players earlier because they were playing so deep.

So even if they get a turnover or coral one of his rebounds, they have 20 to 30 feet of extra ice to travel towards the opponent's goal. That is why the Rangers NEVER have odd man rushes. They best they can typically do is 3 on 2, but again, because they started so deep, the backcheck catches them.

Henrik KILLS the offense.

2. Freeze the Puck - I vowed this year to do a study on goalies freezing the puck to create defensive faceoffs but never got around to it. But I can say anecdotaly, Henrik consistently keeps the puck alive with rebounds, and his glove weakness (I have to say in his defense however, over the last month I saw him catch more pucks than he has in entire seasons in the past) that keeps the Rangers on the ice with an opponent buzzing around, before after the 4th rebound a goal is scored and the announces lament on how fantastic Henrik was on his first 4 saves before the 5th one got by him.

Think back to the Bruin's series, and how many times the Rangers were one and done because Rask froze the puck. Holtby did the same in round 1.

3. Puck control - there were several goals in both the Washington series and the Boston series that started with a simple dump in on net where rather than control the puck and set it up for the defenseman, he just directed (rebounded) the puck into the corner where it then bounced up the boards to an on rushing forward and boom the puck was in the net. A simple dump in from center ice that he could not control and set up led to goals. Mite goalies have problem with this play, even some Squirt and Pee Wee goalies. How can the sexiest man in NY have this problem time and time again?

So, now his value will never be higher. Trade him for:
    1 Cap Space
    2 Young goalie who handles rebounds and can play the puck
    3 Agitator Forward.

Do that and the Rangers will win the cup.

As a Flyers fan, I'd LOVE to have Henrik.

Quote Originally Posted by Rangershockey7 View Post
    Here is the solution to the Ranger's problems. Trade Henrik. Yes, I honestly feel that way.

He KILLS them. I know every other Ranger fan is now shaking their heads at this, or maybe their fists, but I feel it is true.

Henrik is FANTASTIC as stopping shots. But that is it.

One thing he is also fantastic at it giving up rebounds.

Here is how this creates problems.
    1. I have played hockey my whole life and have never seen a team with such a poor offense as the Rangers, despite having such fantastic talent. Now how is this Henrik's fault? Typical teams defensive schemes involve forwards playing defensively between the point men and the top of the circles. Because Henrik gives up so many 30 foot rebounds, the Ranger's forwards have to play much lower, usually down at the dots to try to control rebounds, and then having to scurry out to dive in front of point shots because they were not able to interdict those players earlier because they were playing so deep.

So even if they get a turnover or coral one of his rebounds, they have 20 to 30 feet of extra ice to travel towards the opponent's goal. That is why the Rangers NEVER have odd man rushes. They best they can typically do is 3 on 2, but again, because they started so deep, the backcheck catches them.

Henrik KILLS the offense.

2. Freeze the Puck - I vowed this year to do a study on goalies freezing the puck to create defensive faceoffs but never got around to it. But I can say anecdotaly, Henrik consistently keeps the puck alive with rebounds, and his glove weakness (I have to say in his defense however, over the last month I saw him catch more pucks than he has in entire seasons in the past) that keeps the Rangers on the ice with an opponent buzzing around, before after the 4th rebound a goal is scored and the announces lament on how fantastic Henrik was on his first 4 saves before the 5th one got by him.

Think back to the Bruin's series, and how many times the Rangers were one and done because Rask froze the puck. Holtby did the same in round 1.

3. Puck control - there were several goals in both the Washington series and the Boston series that started with a simple dump in on net where rather than control the puck and set it up for the defenseman, he just directed (rebounded) the puck into the corner where it then bounced up the boards to an on rushing forward and boom the puck was in the net. A simple dump in from center ice that he could not control and set up led to goals. Mite goalies have problem with this play, even some Squirt and Pee Wee goalies. How can the sexiest man in NY have this problem time and time again?

So, now his value will never be higher. Trade him for:
    1 Cap Space
    2 Young goalie who handles rebounds and can play the puck
    3 Agitator Forward.

Do that and the Rangers will win the cup.
    Are you smoking crack? You realize if not for Henrik, we would have lost every game right? The reason the Ranger forwards back up has nothing to do with Henriks rebounds. It's their lame-ass defensive system. It's focus is to collapse in front of the net and block shots. I do agree Henrik's major weakness is his puck handling abilities and yes he gives up a lot of rebounds, but that's gonna happen when your peppered like he was in the playoffs. To me, that's on the D's inability to get the puck out. Henrik gives the Rangers the chance to win every game, dude.

I think things would be different is there were some tweaks to the system to open it up a little. Yeah, Henrik will be busier with shots, but that's where he thrives. Rangers big guns just aren't built for this style of play.

We have an awesome agitating forward now in Dorsett. Just wait to see him for a full year.

You say get rid of Henrik...I say get rid of that bonehead Del Zotto and big hulking Charmin Boyle.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    Call me when the Ranger's are pushing 50 without a cup.
    Been there, done that.