Page 37 of 402 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787137 ... LastLast

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Braves 1. Nats 4.

Rats.
    Not no more! Game is now tied!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

^Not no more!
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

"Bottom line: Paul Holmgren (Flyers' GM) NEEDS to be fired. To say that he's failed is a complete understatement."

Why anybody is willing to take any sort of coaching/managing job in Philly (any sport) boggles the mind.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    "Bottom line: Paul Holmgren (Flyers' GM) NEEDS to be fired. To say that he's failed is a complete understatement."

Why anybody is willing to take any sort of coaching/managing job in Philly (any sport) boggles the mind.
    Anyone who wins here will never buy another meal in their lifetime.

Not sure what you're trying to say, but Holmgren has completely failed as a GM.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Potvin sucks!
    At least he's not the Rangers' colour analyst! Three guesses which team he works for now. First hint: he's back in his home town.

Girardi goes top shelf to help Rangers beat Isles 1-0 in ot; Danny boys first goal in 26 games could not have come at a better time.
    King Henry gets his first shutout of this season.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Hmmm, Toronto manhandled the mighty Habs last night. Carey Price was pulled the fastest in his career!

I think Montreal should be very worried about having to face the Leafs in the first round. They really need to stay ahead of Boston in the North East Division.

Of all the first round opponents Ottawa might have to face, I think Washington would be their preference. So hanging on to sixth is imperative. They only have two more road games and they have a solid record at home, so this outcome is very feasible. But two of their remaining games are with the Caps so that might determine how things finish and what lies ahead.

Caps (especially Ovechkin) are very hot right now. I don't know if I'd want to face them.

Holy crap what an awesome game that was last night between Rangers/Isles! You could feel the buzz in the crowd right through the TV. I think I may have taken 3 breaths the whole game because in my opinion, we were pretty much outplayed throughout. Hank and several posts and crossbars were the difference. I'm happy of course with the 2 points, but at the same time was disappointed with lack of quality scoring chances. Credit Isles D for that. That Islander offense is deadly...very quick!

John Tavares is a whiny lady part. Amazing talent, but bitches and moans on a Crosby level.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Yeah, if you take a look at which teams are playing well in the East currently and could be tough outs in the first round Washington and Toronto both fit that bill. Given Boston's slide (losing Marchand and, potentially for the post season, Bergeron) and Toronto's relatively consistent, physical style of play I could see that being an epic first round matchup if the current standings hold. Washington would currently play Ottawa, who you figure has to be at least a little better chance of advancing with Anderson back in net. Still, that would be another great first round matchup, especially if the Caps can sustain the level of play they've shown over the last couple of weeks. They've taken a while to warm up but there is just so much freaking talent on that team that taking them lightly, even as a 'weak' three seed would be a huge mistake...

Just saw on the tube the Caps won 6-5. Sounds like the Ravens beating a shitty team.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Best news I've heard in a while as an Oilers fan. Not thrilled with Mac-T taking over that spot but I'm happy right now with any change at that level of the organization...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=420813

Went to last night's Blackhawks game. It was a poignant moment when the loud United Center fans went completely silent when asked for a moment of silence regarding the Boston explosions. As to the game, between clinching a playoff spot, and playing the previous day, I expected the Blackhawks to mail it in. Definitely not. They thoroughly out-skated the Stars, winning 5-2.

Wow. I didn't see the game, but the Habs must have really sucked last night to give up seven goals to the offensively-challenged Flyers.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Wow. I didn't see the game, but the Habs must have really sucked last night to give up seven goals to the offensively-challenged Flyers.
    And that's after giving up 5 goals to the Leafs on Saturday. It's a good thing les Habitants already have that playoff spot wrapped up. Yikes!

On an almost unbelievable note, the Leafs could actually clinch a playoff spot tonight. A Toronto win combined with a Winnipeg loss (no OT allowed, must be four points) will do it. Should that happen, y'all better cover your ears. You'll hear the collective cheer across the continent.

Hey, maybe this will get Lino to decloak!

And speaking of the Habs, there was a syndicated column out of Montreal in which the beat writer called out Price to step up and join the other great Canadiens goalies in the pantheon - i.e., Dryden, Roy, etc. His numbers are average at best this year and he has been lousy lately. Last night's stats:

SA: 29
    TOI: 39:36
    GA: 6
    Sv%: .793

Ouch!

In Price's defense, his D is playing absolutely woeful in their own end. Crazy giveaways, etc.... The Habs are going through the slump I expected them to go through at this point. This team finished 15th last year. Their goal this year was to make the playoffs. They acheived it 2 weeks before the season ended and now they need to re-focus on the fact that making it is only one goal to be achieved this season. Right now they seem content with this achievement but if they don't wake up and just float into the postseason, they'll be out before they really even get a taste of it.

Meanwhile teams like the Caps and the Leafs seem to be peaking at just the right moment. Both could be forces to be reckoned with in the early rounds.

PS: White is a dirty player. I have believed so all year and hope the Habs cut him at the end of the season. He has a knack for taking stupid penalties at the worst possible times.

As neat as the winter classic games are to watch, I prefer to watch them from the comfort of my warm home. I have no interest in spending three hours sitting still in sub-zero temperatures.

And speaking of the Leafs (2014 winter classic, see what I did there?) the only thing that they're clinching tonight is a big fat loss to the Capitals.

We are getting reports here in NY of also having outdoor games next year. Rumor has it the Rangers will play the Devils on Jan 26 and the Islanders on Jan 29 both at Yankee stadium. This will all be taking place as part of the run-up to Super Bowl XLVIII at the meadowlands. Sounds pretty awesome!

The reports are correct. From Scott's link above...

"During TSN's "Insider Trading" segment Tuesday, Darren Dreger reported that the league will begin a stadium series next season featuring six outdoor games, starting with the Jan. 1, 2014, Winter Classic between the Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs at Michigan Stadium. The other five match-ups will be:
    • Ducks vs. Kings at Dodger Stadium, Jan. 25
    • Devils vs. Rangers at Yankee Stadium, Jan. 26
    • Islanders vs. Rangers at Yankee Stadium, Jan 29
    • Penguins at Blackhawks, Soldier Field, March 1
    • Senators at Canucks, BC Place, March 2"

Ugh.

^ Agreed. The reason things like this are special is because of their infequency. NFL Football was pretty cool on Sunday. Monday was a nice addition. Thursday sucks. A dozen college bowl games was cool. 40 bowl games? Not so much. More of something is not really a good thing.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

It's America. Everything needs to be supersized!

...and we wonder why the terrorists hate us.