Page 298 of 403 FirstFirst ... 198248288294295296297298299300301302308348398 ... LastLast
Results 7,426 to 7,450 of 10054

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

I'm only seeing the "heart" in spurts. It took a 2-0 deficit last night just to get them skating. Then they battled back just to give it away again.. They need a bigger sense of urgency right from the opening face-off; and they need to maintain it for 60 minutes. When they really turn it on they are the superior team, but some guys seem to take shifts off.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I'm only seeing the "heart" in spurts. It took a 2-0 deficit last night just to get them skating. Then they battled back just to give it away again.. They need a bigger sense of urgency right from the opening face-off; and they need to maintain it for 60 minutes. When they really turn it on they are the superior team, but some guys seem to take shifts off.
    I can't really disagree with you there. The heart does come in spurts. They seemed to lose their mojo for a while after the Bruins 4th goal, but it picked up in spades after the Leafs 3rd goal. I'm still not counting them out. I still think it's anyone's series at this point.

I thought they actually played strong most of the game. I thought for sure they were gonna pull it off at the end there! Bad penalties and iffy special teams did em in as I thought they were the better team. Looks like Matthews has found that 'playoff gear'!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Slow start killed them last night. Boston came out more prepared. Toronto finally got their wheels, but those kind of deficits are tough. I think Boston, who had allowed two ppgoals in the prior game, came out with a desire to improve in that area, and they did, at least when it counted early in the game. I though game 1 was as close to a perfect game the Leafs could play , stiffling them at every turn. However, with the goon show in game two and Khadri's mistake... they haven't looked the same yet. Nylander is no centre. That 3rd line is a big key too... this is where we thought we could get them, with forward line depth. But Khadri fucked that up. Tavares / Marner are working to shut down or at least saw-off the Bergeron line.

I think and hope it will go 7. Really proud of the maligned Leafs D, they have played good. Muzzin is finally resembling the player we all hoped we got. I still think we can take it...just gonna be a hellovalot tougher now. Enjoy folks!

Gotta steal another one on their ice to have a shot. If it gets to 7, all bets are off...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy Vengeance View Post
    Teacher demands a report of the experience.
    So, WOW! First of all, our seats were amazing. 17th row, about halfway between the blue line and the net, at the visitors end. We could actually identify the players by their faces and not just their numbers. There was no price on my ticket, but my guess is that it was worth about $700 retail. Crazy, eh?

The Scotiabank Arena (formerly Air Canada Centre) is known (and criticized) for being very corporate for hockey games. Most of the lower bowl season tickets are owned by large companies. The lower bowl seats are generally filled with suits - sales guys wining and dining clients, or executives taking advantage of the perks of their position, or (the worst) employees who are handed tickets and are not fans, who sit and yammer through the whole game. There might be the occasional Go Leafs Go chant from the upper bowl during a regular season game, but it's generally a pretty quiet experience.

Last night was insane! People walking on the street chanting Go Leafs Go. There's a huge square outside the SBA where they show the game on a giant screen and thousands of people come out to watch the game. So the streets weren't just filled with the 20K going to the game, but a few more thousand going to watch the game at Maple Leaf Square.

Inside, the venue was electric. The energy level was like I've never experienced it before (and I've been to hundreds of sports and music events at this venue). Everyone had huge smiles on their faces. You could feel the excitement in the air. Before the puck even dropped the entire place broke into Go Leafs Go! I've never heard the crowd so loud. The people around us were all fans, not corporate. Even though I was there as the guest of one of our suppliers, we talked hockey not shop. At one point, after a penalty call that people didn’t agree with, the entire crowd chanted “Ref, you suck!”. I’ve heard that at lacrosse games, but never at a hockey game.

Every Leafs goal had people standing, cheering and high-fiving. Every close play, had people standing up and watching in anticipation. From the point of the third Leaf goal (in the 3rd period), we spent most of the rest of the period standing.

Even though we lost the game, it was an amazing experience. So much so that I was still on a bit of a high this morning just from the excitement.

Hopefully, someday, I’ll get to another playoff game. But if I don’t, this was a great experience to have.

Glad it was a great experience!

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    So, WOW! First of all, our seats were amazing. 17th row, about halfway between the blue line and the net, at the visitors end. We could actually identify the players by their faces and not just their numbers. There was no price on my ticket, but my guess is that it was worth about $700 retail. Crazy, eh?

The Scotiabank Arena (formerly Air Canada Centre) is known (and criticized) for being very corporate for hockey games. Most of the lower bowl season tickets are owned by large companies. The lower bowl seats are generally filled with suits - sales guys wining and dining clients, or executives taking advantage of the perks of their position, or (the worst) employees who are handed tickets and are not fans, who sit and yammer through the whole game. There might be the occasional Go Leafs Go chant from the upper bowl during a regular season game, but it's generally a pretty quiet experience.

Last night was insane! People walking on the street chanting Go Leafs Go. There's a huge square outside the SBA where they show the game on a giant screen and thousands of people come out to watch the game. So the streets weren't just filled with the 20K going to the game, but a few more thousand going to watch the game at Maple Leaf Square.

Inside, the venue was electric. The energy level was like I've never experienced it before (and I've been to hundreds of sports and music events at this venue). Everyone had huge smiles on their faces. You could feel the excitement in the air. Before the puck even dropped the entire place broke into Go Leafs Go! I've never heard the crowd so loud. The people around us were all fans, not corporate. Even though I was there as the guest of one of our suppliers, we talked hockey not shop. At one point, after a penalty call that people didn’t agree with, the entire crowd chanted “Ref, you suck!”. I’ve heard that at lacrosse games, but never at a hockey game.

Every Leafs goal had people standing, cheering and high-fiving. Every close play, had people standing up and watching in anticipation. From the point of the third Leaf goal (in the 3rd period), we spent most of the rest of the period standing.

Even though we lost the game, it was an amazing experience. So much so that I was still on a bit of a high this morning just from the excitement.

Hopefully, someday, I’ll get to another playoff game. But if I don’t, this was a great experience to have.
    Thank you. Task completed with a passing grade. The only home rink games I’ve e attended were in Vancouver and Tampa.

Great report! We need to make it 3-2 tomorrow night....its possible.

Caps are playing like shit. I hope they get out of this funk when they get back home.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

The eons are closing
    So it looks like Stevie Y is heading back to Detroit to be the GM.

I have nothing but mad respect for him and while i have been well pleased with Lou in charge, there's a part of me that goes 'dang....'
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy Vengeance View Post
    Thank you. Task completed with a passing grade. The only home rink games I’ve e attended were in Vancouver and Tampa.
    LOL! Thanks teacher. I actually like to write stuff like this. I have a ton of concert reviews that I've written for myself. Every now and then, I come across them on my computer and I reread them as a reminder of how great a time I had. It'll be fun to reread this in the future.

And there was much rejoicing in Hockeytown! https://deadspin.com/steve-yzerman-i...5RI-vA8dvBNcQA

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    So it looks like Stevie Y is heading back to Detroit to be the GM.

I have nothing but mad respect for him and while i have been well pleased with Lou in charge, there's a part of me that goes 'dang....'
    Hockey fans here are going nuts over this announcement. Having Stevie back has been on everyone's wish list for a long time.

But if I don’t, this was a great experience to have.
    This is awesome.

LEAFS DO IT!! The last 43 seconds took 4.3 years off my life, but fuck it!!

I must say I was real, real surprised that first goal wasn't called back for goalie interference. Toronto deserved that game though...solid, patient 60 mins

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    The last 43 seconds took 4.3 years off my life, but fuck it!!
    No kidding! When Matthews scored that first goal, we were saying that the next 8.5 minutes was going to be stressful...but not nearly as stressful as the last 43 seconds turned out to be! When they held a face off with 1.2 seconds left, I said to my husband, this should be an easy 1.2 seconds. He then proceeded to tell me how Gretzsky scored off of a face off with one second left on the clock. Then didn't Boston actually get a shot in off that face off. Holy shit!

Fingers crossed that the Leafs can finally beat the Boston curse and get past them on Sunday.

I’m wondering if coming into the playoffs straight out of fighting just to enter doesn’t actually help a team. Such teams are already in playoff mode while top seeds can be slow to rouse.

Perhaps their early successes will catch up with them as the playoffs are prolonged and all teams are in full win-or-die mode.

No kidding! When Matthews scored that first goal, we were saying that the next 8.5 minutes was going to be stressful...but not nearly as stressful as the last 43 seconds turned out to be! When they held a face off with 1.2 seconds left, I said to my husband, this should be an easy 1.2 seconds. He then proceeded to tell me how Gretzsky scored off of a face off with one second left on the clock. Then didn't Boston actually get a shot in off that face off. Holy shit!

Fingers crossed that the Leafs can finally beat the Boston curse and get past them on Sunday.
    Absolutely! The amount of times I told my son "I cant watch this....!" was ludicrous. Yes, there was a save made by Freddie at the last second. I think Maple Leaf Gardens is going to have to be involved in a huge way on Sunday or were gonna have to sweat out a game 7 in Boston....NOO!

The eons are closing
    And just like that the Flamin' Cs are out.....

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    And just like that the Flamin' Cs are out.....
    Is the wait killin ya??

...and what happened to Boychuck?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Absolutely! The amount of times I told my son "I cant watch this....!" was ludicrous. Yes, there was a save made by Freddie at the last second. I think Maple Leaf Gardens is going to have to be involved in a huge way on Sunday or were gonna have to sweat out a game 7 in Boston....NOO!
    My whole family is gathering at my Mom's house on Sunday afternoon to watch the game together. That doesn't happen very often. It helps that we all have to be there for dinner anyway, we're just heading over early.

My whole family is gathering at my Mom's house on Sunday afternoon to watch the game together. That doesn't happen very often. It helps that we all have to be there for dinner anyway, we're just heading over early.
    We will having Easter Brunch so it's a no-brainer. Let's hope that Drake doesn't show up!
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Is the wait killin ya?? [emoji38]

...and what happened to Boychuck?
    Dude blocked a screamin' slapshot with his leg in middl of period 2 and will now miss minimum three weeks...

Thomas Hickey who played first 1/3 of season as a starter but was out for almost 30 games with a head injury, will likely start. Its the locker room / bench presence that will really be missed from Jonny.