Page 279 of 402 FirstFirst ... 179229269275276277278279280281282283289329379 ... LastLast
Results 6,951 to 6,975 of 10029

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    I'm strangely encouraged by the current Rangers situation. The roster is full of youngsters with upside; the new, relatively unknown head coach is enthusiastic and driven; and there's no sign of aging, high-dollar "stars" that are past their prime and just collecting one more big payday. David Quinn seems to know what his task is, and realizes that if the team is to improve it will be directly connected to the development of players like Pavel Buchnevich and Filip Chytil, and that stapling a young guy to the bench for making a mistake is counterproductive. And of course Hank is still Hank. It will probably be another season with no playoffs, but that's ok, if the improvement and development of the youngsters occurs.
    I agree! It's been fun to watch regardless of the losing And Yeah man, Hank has started off awesome! I really like thes Howden kid.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Who is this team and what have they done with the Montreal Canadiens? They totally snuffed out the Pens on Saturday...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Congrats to David Quinn on his first NHL win An nice come from behind win in OT against the Sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    I'm strangely encouraged by the current Rangers situation. The roster is full of youngsters with upside; the new, relatively unknown head coach is enthusiastic and driven; and there's no sign of aging, high-dollar "stars" that are past their prime and just collecting one more big payday. David Quinn seems to know what his task is, and realizes that if the team is to improve it will be directly connected to the development of players like Pavel Buchnevich and Filip Chytil, and that stapling a young guy to the bench for making a mistake is counterproductive. And of course Hank is still Hank. It will probably be another season with no playoffs, but that's ok, if the improvement and development of the youngsters occurs.
    Rebuilds can be tough. But as long as you can see the younger players develop and progress, it can be tolerable. I prefer that to watching aging veterans trying to hang on.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    Scott, re: Gritty. A friend of mine told me this weekend that the NHL basically told the Flyers that they need to get a mascot. They (the Flyers) and the NHL is missing out of revenue by not having a mascot. The Flyers basically said that they weren't interested, that they are the Broad Street Bullies. But the NHL forced them, so the Flyers intentionally got the creepiest mascot design to thumb it in the NHL's face. Do you know if there is any truth to this?

BTW, I love Gritty's tweet in reply to the Pittsburgh Penguin tweet mocking Gritty: "Sleep with one eye open, bird."
    Hadn't heard that. I hope it's not true. I'm not a fan of leagues dictating things like that to their teams.

I do love how they've handled the whole thing, though. Brilliant marketing. Now if we could only get that kind of performance on the ice.....
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Well, the Habs hit a wall last night... and it's name is Campbell. I hope this is not the continuation of the trend to not score at home....

Anyone else getting tired of media fawning of the Leafs now that they’ve finally got a contending team? We’re getting headlines like ‘Just where in the list of all-time great teams do the Leafs rank?’ and ‘Why the Leafs will clinch by November’ or ‘Just how scary is the Leafs 1-2 center punch for opposing teams?’ That kind of thing.

Makes me want my Bolts to beat them even more...
    Last edited by Teddy Vengeance; 10-18-2018 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy Vengeance View Post
    Anyone else getting tired of media fawning of the Leafs now that they’ve finally got a contending team? We’re getting headlines like ‘Just where in the list of all-time great teams do the Leafs rank?’ and ‘Why the Leafs will clinch by November’ or ‘Just how scary is the Leafs 1-2 center lunch for opposing teams?’ That kind of thing.

Are you Canadian or are you getting this sort of thing down in the USA? if the former then you know that the Canadian sports media has been waiting since forever to finally be able to fawn over the team with the largest market in this country, if not the entire league. If the Leafs believe the hype too much, they will falter but I wish them continued success. So no... I am not tired of it. I do find it a tad ironic that Leaf fans who were so tired of being the butt of jokes vs the Habs are now so quick to reverse those jokes. However, the Habs are not looking like pushovers this year...

Actually, I’m a Canadian living abroad. Resurgent Leafs may be good for the league but my NHL.com feeds and headlines are getting a little over the top for a team that went out in the first round last year. You never see headlines about a resurgent Carolina, for example (and the Canes do look good).

Yeah...it's all Leafs all the time right now. A little annoying...although I do get a kick out of how well Tavares is doing out of an Islander uniform

The eons are closing
    I was tired of Toronto coverage when they stunk! lol

Now that they have Tavares and are over achieving early, I am doubly tired!

At least Isles will get their west coast swoon out of the way early!
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

It's up to the rest of the league to stop the Leafs and make the superlatives disappear from the sports pages. Simple as that.

Why are they the Leafs, and not the Leaves?

We need an investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Why are they the Leafs, and not the Leaves?

We need an investigation.
    Funny...I have a customer who's last name is Wolfe. The first bill I ever wrote them, I unintentionally addressed it to The Wolves. They still howl sometimes at me.

In both cases, it's because it's a proper name...

"Maple Leafs as it refers to a organization or sports franchise is considered a proper noun and not bound by normal rules of grammar and spelling. ..."

Anyone else getting tired of media fawning of the Leafs now that they’ve finally got a contending team? We’re getting headlines like ‘Just where in the list of all-time great teams do the Leafs rank?’ and ‘Why the Leafs will clinch by November’ or ‘Just how scary is the Leafs 1-2 center punch for opposing teams?’ That kind of thing.

Nope, not sick of it and will never get sick of it.

Resurgent Leafs may be good for the league but my NHL.com feeds and headlines are getting a little over the top for a team that went out in the first round last year.
    It's true that the Leafs were knocked out in the first round last year, but you have to remember that you're talking about a team that didn't make the playoffs in 10 out of 11 years, and that one year they did make the playoffs was an anomaly because it was only half a season due to the strike during the 2012/13 season. And through all of this, the fans stayed true and every game was sold out.

The media are quick to jump on the bandwagon, but watch and see how fast they turn on the team the second the Leafs hit a losing streak.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Yeah...it's all Leafs all the time right now. A little annoying...although I do get a kick out of how well Tavares is doing out of an Islander uniform
    #%^*!!!

I get numerous taunts, I mean updates, on how well JT is playing from the Ranger/Devil crowds.
    It would be nice to see the Leafs win because they haven't done anything in 50 years, but not this year. The D is not Cup caliber yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    #%^*!!!

I get numerous taunts, I mean updates, on how well JT is playing from the Ranger/Devil crowds.
    all in good fun my friend. I'm not a hater.

Shhhh... Nobody talk about the Habs. They can't even crack the Sweet 16 power rankings on NHL.com despite having lost only 1 game in regulation all year.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Shhhh... Nobody talk about the Habs. They can't even crack the Sweet 16 power rankings on NHL.com despite having lost only 1 game in regulation all year.
    We all remember the 10-0 start two seasons back...

But seriously, I kind of like the new look Habs. A lot of finesse and speed up front. All I ask is that you keep the Bruins at bay.

We all remember the 10-0 start two seasons back...

But seriously, I kind of like the new look Habs. A lot of finesse and speed up front. All I ask is that you keep the Bruins at bay.
    That is probably the reason why they are not being spoken of this early in the season. I too am liking what I am seeing. Four lines of hustle, fore-checking, and back checking. No egos or prima donnas. They were all over the Flames last night. That score does not indicate how one-sided the game truly was. They had 22 shots on net in the 2nd period alone!

Bergevin's trades are panning out too. Tatar may not be as talented as Pacioretty but he is a team guy, and Domi for Galchenyuk is looking very good right now. Moves made last year,like Drouin, are also paying dividends this season. Looking forward to the return of Weber though.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Funny...I have a customer who's last name is Wolfe. The first bill I ever wrote them, I unintentionally addressed it to The Wolves. They still howl sometimes at me.
    They are probably all howling at you this year. My neighbor does lawn maintenance and is working seven days a week just trying to keep three days behind. He's basically had to tell customers to go screw themselves because they don't understand why he can't get there with all the rain and 90 some days with high humidity we have had. I even cut his lawn one day and hauled a pick up load of branches off a job just to help him out. When he saw his lawn cut he almost shit himself, he thought the county had sent out a crew and were going to charge him a hundred bucks or more.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    They are probably all howling at you this year. My neighbor does lawn maintenance and is working seven days a week just trying to keep three days behind. He's basically had to tell customers to go screw themselves because they don't understand why he can't get there with all the rain and 90 some days with high humidity we have had. I even cut his lawn one day and hauled a pick up load of branches off a job just to help him out. When he saw his lawn cut he almost shit himself, he thought the county had sent out a crew and were going to charge him a hundred bucks or more.
    Dude you aint kiddin...been a tough year for lawn guys! This was a wet, wet summer. I honestly don't remember having consistent dry feet walking around since like July. Mushroompalooza!! It's actually very dangerous right now because the ground is SO saturated, stormes take trees down real easy. Roots just can't hold firm. Crazy summer weather. At least the cold weather has halted grass growth...now it's time for leaves Vibrant colors though!

The eons are closing
    My lawn in bergen county was already only in B grade shape before the summer, now I might as well think about re-sodding. Would also give me a chance to regrade / level the lawn too.

Isles managed to finagle a 21st game at the new Coliseum - Tavares first game v Isles in NY. Instant sellout now.

Every game we play at the new Coliseum is a big middle finger to Bettman who repeatedly said Isles would never play at new Nassau as it wasn't suited for hockey, wouldnt be financially viable etc etc

Satisfied with Isles increased defensive intensity without resorting to traditional cap-style thuggery. Offense though will be a challenge for sure.

The eons are closing
    Woah who are these Isles going 3-0 on a mini road trip, including spanking Cindy tonight.

Though i will admit I got soooooper nervous when the Penguinos came within two in 3rd period.