Page 275 of 402 FirstFirst ... 175225265271272273274275276277278279285325375 ... LastLast
Results 6,851 to 6,875 of 10029

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

In addition to following the NHL, I also follow the AHL. The Toronto Marlies (Leafs) and the Texas Stars (Dallas) are in a hard battle for the Calder Cup. And we've got tickets for Game 7 tomorrow night.

Game 7. For the cup. Winner take all!

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    In addition to following the NHL, I also follow the AHL. The Toronto Marlies (Leafs) and the Texas Stars (Dallas) are in a hard battle for the Calder Cup. And we've got tickets for Game 7 tomorrow night.

That's awesome...have a blast!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I've watched parts of 2 of the games. Calder Cup. That's the AHL, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I've watched parts of 2 of the games. Calder Cup. That's the AHL, isn't it?
    It is. One step down from the NHL. It's really great hockey at a tenth of the price.

It is. One step down from the NHL. It's really great hockey at a tenth of the price.
    Yes, we had an AHL franchise in the 60s & 70s -the Cleveland Barons, and my parents took us to a few games at the old Cleveland Arena. That was before Cleveland briefly had an NHL franchise called the Barons. It was a lot of fun. I don't recall the Marlies back then. I recall Nova Scotia, Hershey, Quebec, Providence, Springfield, Rochester...I'm sure there were several more.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    When I lived in CT we used to go to the Bridgeport Sound Tigers who are the AHL affiliate of the Islanders. Always great fun and very reasonable, I've still got a jersey in a closet somewhere. They lost the Calder Cup Final in 01/02.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

We have an AHL team about 45 minutes from me in Grand Rapids MI. They are the Detroit Red Wings AAA farm club and won the Calder Cup last year. It has been a while since I have been up there to a game, but yes the level of hockey is very high, and just about every player on the current Red Wings roster came through Grand Rapids at some point.

Closer to home, we have an ECHL team here in Kalamazoo who are the AA affiliate with Vancouver Canucks. The level of hockey is slightly below that of the AHL, but it is still pretty good and we go to quite a few games every year.

Minor league hockey is a really good value for your money as tickets, food and beer are all fairly cheap.

We also have college hockey here in Kalamazoo with Western Michigan University who have sent quite a few players to the NHL over the years. I usually hit some of their games every year as well.

Well last night's Calder Cup game 7 was an exciting game. The Texas Stars put up a good fight, but it was not their best game. Toronto for the win! Final score 6-1.

I attended 6 of the playoff games in total and 3 out of 4 home games for the final series, so it was great to be there for the win! It was a sold out game. Even standing room was sold out.

It's a great win for Toronto, and I would love to see some of the young players on this team make their way onto the Leafs roster. There is a lot of talent on this team, and in the management and coaching staff.

Calder Cup? Check!
    Stanley Cup? On it's way!

Congrats! TSN 2 was actually airing that game last night, but I was watching the CFL instead.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Congrats! TSN 2 was actually airing that game last night, but I was watching the CFL instead.
    I tried to watch the Calder Cup on the stream, but couldn't get it to come in last night. The CFL came in, but...yawn. I watched the last 3 eps of Vikings 5.1 and part of Age Of Ultron, which I could have watched anytime.

TSN2 aired all of the Marlies' playoff games, from the 1st round.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I tried to watch the Calder Cup on the stream, but couldn't get it to come in last night. The CFL came in, but...yawn. I watched the last 3 eps of Vikings 5.1 and part of Age Of Ultron, which I could have watched anytime.
    That's too bad. It was an exciting game. Although I suspect that Stars fans might not have thought so.

Barry Trotz has resigned as coach of the Capitals. Over money, apparently.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Well, his contract had a clause stipulating that if the Caps won it all there was an immediate 2 year, $1.8 million extension. He either had to resign or accept the extension which would pay him less than what he could probably make on the open market.

Sure. But you'd think that the Caps' ownership would take care of the guy who brought them their first Cup.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Nothing says they can't rehire him for more than what the extension provided. In fact, rumor mill is suggesting that may very well be what happens in the end, especially with the NYI job the only other opening at the moment.

Galchenyuk for Domi....any thoughts Yves?? I like it!
    We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
    But only we are gifted with the eyes to see
    On days without FEAR, when our heads are clear
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

We should have gotten Domi + someone else. As a 1 on 1 I am not so sure Montreal got the better of the deal, even though Gally was underachieving and may have been a bit of a cancer in the locker room. We shall see.... I am hoping the Habs pick up the best available center man at #3 in the upcoming draft.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I just cannot see the Domi trade being the end of key deals for Montreal this offseason. If so, they VASTLY overpaid for a player who really hasn't shown much in the way of development since entering the league. On a team of underachievers, Domi was among the best of them IMO.

The Islanders are apparently about to sign Barry Trotz as their next head coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    The Islanders are apparently about to sign Barry Trotz as their next head coach.
    Isles got Trotz. Seem to be putting a real effort into turning the franchise around. Was shocked at how they quit playing for Weight last season. There's a new sheriff in town and if you don't put in the effort, you will be gone. About time.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    *********************** Kinda Not Safe for Work ****************************

Hopefully this isn't doctored. Prog related - reference to Mom's Apple Pie album.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Isles got Trotz. Seem to be putting a real effort into turning the franchise around. Was shocked at how they quit playing for Weight last season. There's a new sheriff in town and if you don't put in the effort, you will be gone. About time.
    Well let's walk that back a bit.
    The lack of effort for the Isles was Garth.

Garth gave Ricky the 15 year contract.
    Garth was the one who made no effort to retain quality (and Tavares friendly) support like Franz Nielsen.
    It was Garth who traded future picks for perennial underachievers like Vanek.
    It was Garth who paid Vegas in draft picks not to take our crap players.

And on and on and on...

Yes it appeared that players and Doug E. disconnected, but that was frustration at the absence of the front office moves to keep them a playoff team.

Sure he also had some good moves (e.g. Leddy) but his tenure is marled with shitty ass decisions more often than not. And the fact that his salary is SO ludicrous vis-à-vis his actual ability as a GM was laughable.

And the money has been there since the 'move' to Brooklyn so finances cannot be an excuse.

Of course IMIO (in my irrational opinion)
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Well let's walk that back a bit.
    The lack of effort for the Isles was Garth.

Garth gave Ricky the 15 year contract.
    Garth was the one who made no effort to retain quality (and Tavares friendly) support like Franz Nielsen.
    It was Garth who traded future picks for perennial underachievers like Vanek.
    It was Garth who paid Vegas in draft picks not to take our crap players.

And on and on and on...

Yes it appeared that players and Doug E. disconnected, but that was frustration at the absence of the front office moves to keep them a playoff team.

Sure he also had some good moves (e.g. Leddy) but his tenure is marled with shitty ass decisions more often than not. And the fact that his salary is SO ludicrous vis-à-vis his actual ability as a GM was laughable.

And the money has been there since the 'move' to Brooklyn so finances cannot be an excuse.

Of course IMIO (in my irrational opinion)
    In no way am I sticking up for Snow. No GM has less to show for 12 years. Some good moves but a boatload more bad ones. Gave away draft picks like they were skittles. The money was a contract. The Isles got the same amount from Brooklyn whether they played to a full or empty house. Brooklyn arena owners were the ones who really cared what the brought in. That's way they want them gone.

It just that as a team, the rolled over down the stretch. That includes JT. There was no effort on D. I liked Weight but once you lose the players you have to go. IMHO.

The eons are closing
    <sigh>
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit