Page 270 of 403 FirstFirst ... 170220260266267268269270271272273274280320370 ... LastLast
Results 6,726 to 6,750 of 10054

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Hellebuyck stole one last night in Nashville.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Oh I know I'd feel that way! Hell, I liked Sean Avery when he was here! However..."sometimes" though? I get he's on your team n all, but he is a dirty player. Matt Cooke dirty. A great player like you say...one of the best in the league no doubt, but as dirty as they come. There are instances every game.
    He plays at the line and occasionally crosses it. I think he's been suspended six times and fined two or three. I don't personally think there are "instances every game," I think that's an exaggeration. Did he even get called for a penalty versus Toronto?

I think the Sean Avery comparison is a good one, except I think Marchand is more talented. I'd personally put Cooke on a different level, and he was far less skilled than either Marchand or Avery, so being "dirty" really was his game. If I had my choice, Marchand would continue being a "pest" but not cross the line into dangerous plays. For the most part, that's exactly what he does. It drives people crazy, but that's the idea. There are plenty of players who do this, Marchand just happens to be really good at it, and it causes an overreaction on those occasions he does cross the line.

That line with him Bergeron and Pasternak is deadly good by the way.
    They can be. They can also go cold, as can Marchand who hasn't exactly been spectacular in this or his last playoff series. But the Bruins since Claude have never been reliant on one line, and their real strength this season has been depth and a solid duo in goal. Rask looked shaky at times against Toronto. I hope he picks it up because I'm nut sure Khudobin can carry them. Not sure they get by Tampa anyway, we'll see.

Bill

I don't give a phlying phuck about Boston or Tampa, but I hope Tampa rips Boston about 29 new assholes - its my own personal way to avenge the Leafs downfall.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I don't give a phlying phuck about Boston or Tampa, but I hope Tampa rips Boston about 29 new assholes - its my own personal way to avenge the Leafs downfall.
    Gee, what a good sport you are. Had Toronto won, I'd have congratulated them and moved on. I understand and respect your passion for the Leafs, but really, on a board like this where there are fans of multiple teams, is this, or some of your earlier comments necessary?

Bill

As a lifetime Leafs fan, the Leafs were responsible for their own downfall. The better team won...it's as simple as that.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Very good win for the Bruins today at the Lightning 6-2, top line of Bergaron, Pasternak & Marchand dominated.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Gee, what a good sport you are. Had Toronto won, I'd have congratulated them and moved on. I understand and respect your passion for the Leafs, but really, on a board like this where there are fans of multiple teams, is this, or some of your earlier comments necessary?

Bill
    Bill - not quite sure what I have said on here that is so controversial? I'm allowed to root against teams I don't like - and the Bruins happen to be one of them. There is a history there. I'm also a diehard Everton fan, so I don't like Liverpool either. Actually, I completely hate them, yet I acknowledge their talent. There is a history there. If you think my bad attitude is severe, I am a cute little puppy dog compared to European soccer fans in places like the UK (both England and Scotland) and Italy. Merseyside Derby, Tyne and Wear Derby, Manchester Derby, The Old Firm, etc etc.....wow. Just ask Ian. This is also done somewhat tongue-in-cheek, hard to convey that online. It was an amazing series - I said that - but I'm still not over it and I want to see Boston go down. Sorry about that - can't change that feeling. I love Boston the city - its my second favorite US city after San Fran - I much prefer those places to NYC which is in my backyard. You're a good guy Bill and I like you a lot. I hope you know that I am generally not a confrontational person by now, yes? Asshole at times? Yes! Sports bring out the worst in me

He plays at the line and occasionally crosses it. I think he's been suspended six times and fined two or three. I don't personally think there are "instances every game," I think that's an exaggeration. Did he even get called for a penalty versus Toronto?

I think the Sean Avery comparison is a good one, except I think Marchand is more talented. I'd personally put Cooke on a different level, and he was far less skilled than either Marchand or Avery, so being "dirty" really was his game. If I had my choice, Marchand would continue being a "pest" but not cross the line into dangerous plays. For the most part, that's exactly what he does. It drives people crazy, but that's the idea. There are plenty of players who do this, Marchand just happens to be really good at it, and it causes an overreaction on those occasions he does cross the line.
    Fair enough. I have to keep reminding myself "if he was on my team" My Avery comparison was just in terms of being a pest. At best Avery was a solid 3rd liner. Marchand is a legit 1st liner...but a douche

Nice win today. I thought Tampa played better than the score showed, but solid win. Debrusk got ROCKED by Kilorn...didn't think he was coming back. That's a hockey player right there!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Bill - not quite sure what I have said on here that is so controversial? I'm allowed to root against teams I don't like - and the Bruins happen to be one of them. There is a history there. I'm also a diehard Everton fan, so I don't like Liverpool either. Actually, I completely hate them, yet I acknowledge their talent. There is a history there. If you think my bad attitude is severe, I am a cute little puppy dog compared to European soccer fans in places like the UK (both England and Scotland) and Italy. Merseyside Derby, Tyne and Wear Derby, Manchester Derby, The Old Firm, etc etc.....wow. Just ask Ian. This is also done somewhat tongue-in-cheek, hard to convey that online. It was an amazing series - I said that - but I'm still not over it and I want to see Boston go down. Sorry about that - can't change that feeling. I love Boston the city - its my second favorite US city after San Fran - I much prefer those places to NYC which is in my backyard. You're a good guy Bill and I like you a lot. I hope you know that I am generally not a confrontational person by now, yes? Asshole at times? Yes! Sports bring out the worst in me
    Is there any reason you don't like the Rangers, Islanders or Devils?

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk
    Laura

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    Is there any reason you don't like the Rangers, Islanders or Devils?

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk
    Grew up in Rochester, NY - saw the Leafs play Buffalo at Maple Leaf Gardens when I was a kid - became an instant fan for life! It was just a connection I had. Also was a Rush fanatic as a teen, so it made sense/logical to go with Toronto

Bill - not quite sure what I have said on here that is so controversial?
    Need a reminder? How about...

Leafs are killin' it!! Fuck you Bruins!!!
    Dermott!!! Fuck you Boston!!
    Not super controversial, but super unsportsmanlike, if you ask me. Yeah, sure you can root against the Bruins if you like. But this isn't the way to express it on a site like this, imo. Easy enough to say you hope Tampa takes Boston with a sweep, which sadly for you won't happen after today. If you can't tell the difference, then I'm not sure anything I can say will convince you. Just throwin' it out there.

I hope you know that I am generally not a confrontational person by now, yes? Asshole at times? Yes! Sports bring out the worst in me
    I have no beef with you beyond this, but I think this is something you ought to consider. It's just sports, after all. I don't think it's necessary to insult the other team or fanbase with these types of comments. Respect your opponents, and your fellow site members. It's not so hard.

Fair enough. I have to keep reminding myself "if he was on my team" My Avery comparison was just in terms of being a pest. At best Avery was a solid 3rd liner. Marchand is a legit 1st liner...but a douche
    LOL, that's as close to agreeing as we'll get, so I agree!

I'm actually glad I saw Avery play at MSG, and hear the crowd cheer "Av-REE!" Rangers beat the B's that day, but we still had a great time at the game. MSG is a magical place... I particularly loved the dim lighting!

Nice win today. I thought Tampa played better than the score showed, but solid win. Debrusk got ROCKED by Kilorn...didn't think he was coming back. That's a hockey player right there!
    Couldn't watch the game as it wasn't on TV that I get, so I'll take your word for it. I really like DeBrusk and a lot of the young Bruins. Sweeney has done an amazing job, imo. The future looks bright for the B's to me, regardless of what happens this year. It will be interesting to see how Tampa responds to this game.

Bill

The eons are closing
    Isles had two shots at getting solid picks in 1st round; and end up with #11 and #12! I'm gonna blame Garth anyways....

Buffalo #1 pick.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Need a reminder? How about...

Not super controversial, but super unsportsmanlike, if you ask me. Yeah, sure you can root against the Bruins if you like. But this isn't the way to express it on a site like this, imo. Easy enough to say you hope Tampa takes Boston with a sweep, which sadly for you won't happen after today. If you can't tell the difference, then I'm not sure anything I can say will convince you. Just throwin' it out there.

I have no beef with you beyond this, but I think this is something you ought to consider. It's just sports, after all. I don't think it's necessary to insult the other team or fanbase with these types of comments. Respect your opponents, and your fellow site members. It's not so hard.

Bill
    If you want to talk about unsportsmanlike, you may want to review Game 7 where the entire TD Garden arena boo'ed the Maple Leafs when they entered the ice, but who's counting? I guess the (predominately) English folks on the Everton FC Forum I'm on have a different "sense of humor" compared to PE, or at least compared to you. Lucky for you I'm finished here - well maybe until next year - so I hope you enjoy yourself and everyone behaves appropriately.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Isles had two shots at getting solid picks in 1st round; and end up with #11 and #12! I'm gonna blame Garth anyways....

Buffalo #1 pick.
    Funny and sad at the same time. Was really hoping for a break. Garth will probably pick 2 goalies anyway.

There's certainly a level of biting bile you expect from soccer fans for anyone they think of as a local rival or team that has incurred some perceived slight. Hate is not too strong a word in these cases. I have to admit to being gleeful at Sunderland's plight this season.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Eh...douchebaggery is never a good look.

Loving that the Sabres got the Number 1 pick. Sounds like they're going to take a Defenseman from Sverige.

If you want to talk about unsportsmanlike, you may want to review Game 7 where the entire TD Garden arena boo'ed the Maple Leafs when they entered the ice
    Really? The entire TD Garden? That means any Leafs fans in attendance booed their own team. Strange ones those Leaf fans!

But really, booing the opposing team happens everywhere and is very much part of the experience of a live sports event. It's hardly a Boston-specific thing, and it's hardly the same as yelling, "f**k you" at them. Also, booing the opposition on your home turf/ice is different from saying "F-U Boston" on a multi-team web forum. Would you have said that in front of a Bruins fan you met at an airport bar, or would you realize that deep down you're both hockey fans and be more civil? I think PE is more like the airport bar than the home team's arena. If you can't tell the difference, there's no point in discussing it further. But most here seem to get that pretty clearly.

My wife and I wore our Bruins gear to MSG. We got some good-natured ribbing from the Rangers fans near us, and later on we had some nice conversations with them. It was totally cool. FWIW, they booed the Bruins when they took the ice, as did the majority of the arena, and I'd have been surprised if they didn't.

Bill

With you 100% Bill despite me being a soccer fan.
    Ian

My wife and I wore our Bruins gear to MSG. We got some good-natured ribbing from the Rangers fans near us, and later on we had some nice conversations with them. It was totally cool. FWIW, they booed the Bruins when they took the ice, as did the majority of the arena, and I'd have been surprised if they didn't.

Bill
    I have season tickets (11 game plan per year) and there are always opposing teams fans that have seats next to ours. Thanks ridiculous prices!! anyway...they are always respectful and I have had some tremendous conversations over the years. There are occasional big mouths and biters, but pretty much always good natured and respectful. I actually look forward to that. My favorites were a Chicago couple this year....we had a friggin' blast!

RIP Bill Torrey.

The eons are closing
    True great of the game.

Isles have only made it past 2nd round once since he left in 92.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    RIP Bill Torrey.
    Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

This has been a hell of a fun round of playoffs! Every series the match-ups seem right on. Lots of hatred brewing baby!

Indeed! Caps-Pens has been an especially chippy affair! I hope the Caps can trounce them! And when did Malkin become "Gino"? I never got the memo!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

What the hell is wrong with this clown? I really want to see him get the living shit beat out of him.

Go Bruins!
    Ian