Page 25 of 403 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575125 ... LastLast

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

The eons are closing
    If he clears waivers, he goes to the minors.

If he does not clear waivers (i.e. someone grabs him) that team is responsible for the albatross...err...contract.

So essentially, DiPi will be making 4.5 million to play in Bridgeport, CT.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I figured as much. Nobody will touch that one with a ten-foot pole.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Yves, yes and no. If anyone claims him off waivers, they inherit his salary and cap hit. So fuggetaboutit. If he clears waivers, they can send him to the minors (AHL I guess), where he gets his full salary (assuming he's on a one-way salary) but his cap hit is removed. It's the same situation as Wade Redden in New York. No one touched him until the Rangers bought him out with the new provisions in the new CBA. I think the Islanders have come to the conclusion that he simply can't perform at a high level any more because of the multitude of injuries he's had over the years. An ex-player and ex-management type who is on Ottawa sports radio now (Sean Simpson) said he was watching DiPietro in practice before they played Ottawa earlier this week and he said that DiPietro was having trouble getting up quickly after going down. So to hear that he's been dumped isn't completely surprising. I speculated at the beginning of the year that he was a prime candidate for the new buy-out provision in the CBA (along with Redden and maybe a guy like Jeff Finger of the Leafs).

This article about the NHL's shot-tracker being inadequate cracked me up, thinking a stat-geek has way too much time on his hands.

How reliable is the NHL.com shot tracker?
    http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/20...=articlebottom

Then you read the following in the comments section, "I am still in shock that with unlimited budgets that GMs will not invest $2-300,000 to go through all this data to save them from dropping $60M on Bryzgalov," and I think, maybe stats do have a place in hockey.

The eons are closing
    Note: His cap hit is NOT removed per the CBA. That way the Isles can stay over the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by ESPN
    Per the rules of the new collective bargaining agreement, DiPietro will still carry a $3.6 million (pro-rated) hit on the team's salary cap this year. That's not seen as an immediate problem for the Islanders, however, as they have struggled in recent seasons to reach the cap floor.

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    Yves, yes and no. If anyone claims him off waivers, they inherit his salary and cap hit. So fuggetaboutit. If he clears waivers, they can send him to the minors (AHL I guess), where he gets his full salary (assuming he's on a one-way salary) but his cap hit is removed. It's the same situation as Wade Redden in New York. No one touched him until the Rangers bought him out with the new provisions in the new CBA. I think the Islanders have come to the conclusion that he simply can't perform at a high level any more because of the multitude of injuries he's had over the years. An ex-player and ex-management type who is on Ottawa sports radio now (Sean Simpson) said he was watching DiPietro in practice before they played Ottawa earlier this week and he said that DiPietro was having trouble getting up quickly after going down. So to hear that he's been dumped isn't completely surprising. I speculated at the beginning of the year that he was a prime candidate for the new buy-out provision in the CBA (along with Redden and maybe a guy like Jeff Finger of the Leafs).
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

"In the time Brodeur has played for the Devils, the Flyers have gone through more than 20 goalies, the New York Islanders even more."
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Sch-weeeeeet!

(Too bad we had red-light Cam in net last night.)
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Note: His cap hit is NOT removed per the CBA. That way the Isles can stay over the floor.
    Oh right. But isn't there some advantage to having him in the minors in terms of the cap?

Ok. DP needs to go to the minors to see if he can revive his career. He should have been there all season. Nobody can have essentially taken 5 years off and be sharp. I don't know if he has anything left, but good luck to him. That was a horrible contract on the Isles part. And only the Isles would have 2 of their most expensive players not on the roster to keep the team above the cap floor. Can't wait for the Nets owner to buy the team and improve it. Old has beens, never was's and a couple of very good players is not getting it done.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    This article about the NHL's shot-tracker being inadequate cracked me up, thinking a stat-geek has way too much time on his hands.

How reliable is the NHL.com shot tracker?
    http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/20...=articlebottom

Then you read the following in the comments section, "I am still in shock that with unlimited budgets that GMs will not invest $2-300,000 to go through all this data to save them from dropping $60M on Bryzgalov," and I think, maybe stats do have a place in hockey.
    Bryz has actually been one of the few bright spots for the Flyers this year. Granted, that's damning with faint praise.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    "In the time Brodeur has played for the Devils, the Flyers have gone through more than 20 goalies, the New York Islanders even more."
    Ugh...no kidding. The bain of the Flyers fan's existence. We got spoiled with Parent, and have been paying for it for almost 40 years.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Hexxxxxxttttaaalllllll! Hexxxxxxttttaaalllllll! Hexxxxxxtttttaaalllllll!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Pelle Lindbergh.

Hey does anybody know any local reporters that do Twitter feeds for their respective market's NHL teams? For example https://twitter.com/ice_chip is a guy from the Raleigh News and Observer who has the Canes on his "beat".

Any others? (I'm not much of a Twitter kind o'guy meself) Besides being a cool way to keep up with day-to-day stuff going on with other teams, it's a good way for fantasy owners with players on IR to find out if their guy is back in action.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Pretty incredible record breaking run for Chicago. Gotta give props.

Jack, Rangers Twitter guy is Jim Cerney. Also Katie Strang who covers Rangers, Devils and Islanders. I also follow TSN's Darren Dreger and Bob McKenzie who do a good job covering the NHL.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Pelle Lindbergh.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Reginod View Post
    Hey does anybody know any local reporters that do Twitter feeds for their respective market's NHL teams? For example https://twitter.com/ice_chip is a guy from the Raleigh News and Observer who has the Canes on his "beat".

Any others? (I'm not much of a Twitter kind o'guy meself) Besides being a cool way to keep up with day-to-day stuff going on with other teams, it's a good way for fantasy owners with players on IR to find out if their guy is back in action.
    All of the local writers in Philly have Twitter feeds and post some great stuff during games and otherwise. I like Sam Carchidi, in particular.

Wayne Simmonds just got his second Gordie Howe hat trick of the week to put the Flyers ahead of the Jets, 4-3, with 10 mins. left in the third.

If the Flyers can hold on, this would be the first time all year they won when trailing at the end of the 2nd period.

Nothing better than having the Rangers come to town when you need a "W". They haven't won here since 2009 iirc...

What is it with the Rangers when they play at the Bell centre what a nightmare! They got their ass kicked again last night plus with Del Zotto already out we now lost Girardi with an ankle (x-rays negative) and Mcdonagh (possible concussion).

On top of that the offense is suffering without Nash for the last 3 games! It's looking very grim right now with the playoffs approaching very quickly!

The Devils broadcast crew just related the story of the Jets Zach Redmond. I'd heard he'd been cut on the leg, and that it was severe, but I guess the Jets training staff is responsible for saving his life after his femoral artery was cut in practice.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator1634 View Post
    What is it with the Rangers when they play at the Bell centre what a nightmare! They got their ass kicked again last night plus with Del Zotto already out we now lost Girardi with an ankle (x-rays negative) and Mcdonagh (possible concussion).

On top of that the offense is suffering without Nash for the last 3 games! It's looking very grim right now with the playoffs approaching very quickly!
    So now we're without...

Nash
    Asham
    Powe
    Del Zotto
    Girardi and
    MacDonagh

...take that, Rottersclub!

Now I'm gonna bash Torts. I stick up for Torts a lot because you guys get on him just based on the stupid post game interviews. He's actually a good guy who does a shitload of great work with charities and the community. BUT...I am starting to grow tired of the dump and chase, defense first style with this team. We have top tier offensive talent wasting away. That and his benching of players when they make mistakes for entire periods is stubbornly childish and unhelpful. Of course responsibility lies with players also, but I'm just not having fun watching this product this season. Especially with all the other hockey games I watch. I always find myself saying, "Damn, I wish we'd play that way"

Go ole ole yourself, Yves.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    BUT...I am starting to grow tired of the dump and chase, defense first style with this team.
    The Flyers played this style for many years and I hated it. Dump and chase is just so passive. I like a more aggressive style of play.

Hey Klonk, sorry to see the list of wounded Rangers is growing. I had a sneaking suspicion that del Zotto was injured on a hit on the boards against the Sens, so I'm guessing it may be a shoulder or other "upper body" ailment. Hopefully it's not going to be a long term injury. I quite like him as well as Derek Stepan.

The Sens keep rolling. I just arrived in Phoenix last night and we had the game on in the car, and it was tied with a minute left. We turned the sound down while we were getting out of the parking garage and the next thing I knew, the Sens had won! Greening has come back really well after sitting in the press box last weekend. Nice to see as I think he has a lot of talent and can adapt his game. Plus, I think he had a 3.9 GPA at the Ivy League school he attended (sorry can't remember) so he's probably a pretty bright guy as well. Nice to see the Sens get the two points from the Leafs as they could be battling for the last playoff spot the last weekend of the season.

We've got tickets to see the 'Yotes vs the Ducks next week. Woo hoo!

LOL @ Klonk!

Dude, I have no serious belief that the Habs will remain where they are, but I'm starting to believe that can make the playoffs. However, until they beat the Bruins I can't see them as a legit threat. Also, if they play either the Leafs or the Devils they'll be trounced.

What did you think about that Pacioretty hit? You think it was intent to injure, a payback for the hit he took earlier? I get the impression he didn't lay into him as much as he could have, but when you can read the guy's name on his jersey, you don't smash him into the boards!