Page 256 of 402 FirstFirst ... 156206246252253254255256257258259260266306356 ... LastLast
Results 6,376 to 6,400 of 10029

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

No question. We used to get seats in the upper bowl then we were given a pair two rows up from ice level - just beside the penalty box. My wife said "don't even think of getting seats up there (upper bowl) again!". You get a real appreciation for the speed of the game, the incredible effort expended stopping and starting, hustling to back-check and most fun, observing the tit-for-tat shit the players do all game long.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

What I found most incredible was how BIG these guys are! I mean, I know they're big, but you can't really see it from the upper bowl seats that we usually have. Being that close, you notice.

And watching them from floor level, you also get a better appreciation for the footwork they're capable of on the ice. Austin Matthews was skating backwards, stopped on a dime, and changed direction in a way that made my jaw drop. Unbelievable!

The eons are closing
    Here is ESPN's take on the 'Where will Tavares be?'

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/2...r-john-tavares

Esther: at the old Mauseleum i had seats like that for 8 game package for a couple of years. Now that same area is taken up by a white Honda SUV and its accompanying stage and signage. Literally the best seats in the house belong to a car.

Isles win big 6-3 vs Vegas tonight with two more goals from Tavares (set Isle franchise record for goals in October) but still cannot play a full 60 minute game. Let in their 6th!!!!! shorthanded goal already this year.

Next up: The Capital Scum! lol
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    No question. We used to get seats in the upper bowl then we were given a pair two rows up from ice level - just beside the penalty box. My wife said "don't even think of getting seats up there (upper bowl) again!". You get a real appreciation for the speed of the game, the incredible effort expended stopping and starting, hustling to back-check and most fun, observing the tit-for-tat shit the players do all game long.
    Interesting discussion…….

I have mixed feelings about sitting right on the ice. On the one hand, yes it is a totally different perspective and some of those guys are monsters up close. On the other hand the sight lines are not all that great and there are big chunks of the ice that you can’t see at all. I have only sat right on the ice one time for an NHL game (Tampa Bay Lightning), but have done it quite a bit at our local ECHL team. I really think I prefer sitting up higher where you can see all the action. A few rows above the glass is the perfect spot, although every hockey fan needs the on ice experience at least once.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Interesting discussion…….

I have mixed feelings about sitting right on the ice. On the one hand, yes it is a totally different perspective and some of those guys are monsters up close. On the other hand the sight lines are not all that great and there are big chunks of the ice that you can’t see at all. I have only sat right on the ice one time for an NHL game (Tampa Bay Lightning), but have done it quite a bit at our local ECHL team. I really think I prefer sitting up higher where you can see all the action. A few rows above the glass is the perfect spot, although every hockey fan needs the on ice experience at least once.
    That's how I normally feel. I once had seats four rows behind the players bench. And although it was exciting to be that close to Mats Sundin (my hockey hero), I couldn't see any of the plays near the boards on the same side. I have found that I don't like being less than eight rows from the ice...not that I get to sit that close very often for hockey, but our lacrosse season tickets are 13 rows behind the visitors bench. However, having said all of that, the vantage point from these corner seats was better than being fourth row at centre ice. Although the action at the other side of the ice was further away, the view was better. Maybe I couldn't see the puck when it came into my corner, but the players crashing into the boards right in front of me was enough to know what was going on. And the view of the puck going into the net was outstanding! I could get used to those seats.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Esther: at the old Mauseleum i had seats like that for 8 game package for a couple of years. Now that same area is taken up by a white Honda SUV and its accompanying stage and signage. Literally the best seats in the house belong to a car.
    That sucks! What a waste.

Lucky Man
    My youngest son and I were at a Union College game a handful of years ago. Although not sparsely attended we were still able to maneuver seating during the contest. At one point I look down to the right corner and the front row seats there are empty. Off we go.

The first thing that happened is a defenseman fires a puck at the glass from the other side of the ice, right at us. Now we know we're protected, but did we flinch? Did we recoil? You bet we did. So, we looked at each other.

The next thing that happened is the puck coming into our corner followed by the usual gaggle of defenders, forwards and centers. About four or five guys banging and slamming. The boards booming. So, we looked at each other.

These looks were non - verbalese for we are having some fun, tonight.

On a side note, that same Union team won a rather stirring David versus Goliath NCAA D - 1 hockey championship a couple of years later against Minnesota, in 2014.
    Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.

Firstly, the play was absolutely amazing! A lot funnier than I expected! Any hockey fans of his era will remember a lot of what he is referencing. It was also very dark, especially during the abuse years and in the waning days of his career. If this is ever in your city, go see it!

Secondly, who is the offensive juggernaut in the Bleu , Blanc, Rouge? Were the Habs abducted and replaced by aliens? 13 goals in the last 2 games?!
    Last edited by Yves; 10-31-2017 at 09:44 AM.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Break up the Habs!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Score2112 View Post
    Break up the Habs!!!
    Sather and the Ranger brass were at the Sens-Habs game last night, so I was expecting a move to be made. Many were saying Galchenyuk for Kreider. Not sure how much I like that move. Gally seemed to have a spark last night. I think he's seen a cancer on the team though.

There's no question that sitting down at ice level gives a much different perspective to the game and as noted above, the sight-lines are impaired. When we sat beside the penalty box, and had to look through two panes of plexiglass, the view was very distorted. So no, I wouldn't recommend sitting there frequently. And I quite like seeing the plays develop when you sit high up. I think the teams use a camera high up behind each net to analyze their breakouts and defensive positioning FWIW.

Like others, I agree that sitting in the corner gives the best of both worlds. I still prefer the first or second row in the second tier which is essentially the same as being in one of the boxes.
    Last edited by rottersclub; 10-31-2017 at 05:04 PM. Reason: typo
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.

Yikes, the Habs made the Sens look like shit last night. It was the same way in their last pre-season game. Could be the year that the Habs roll over the Sens all season long.

Karlsson was -6 last night. That says it all.

Karlsson looked like he came back too soon and was actually a detriment to the team last night.

No question he's not 100% but last night was an aberration. His overall play has been good and until last night, his defensive play has been very solid,

Anderson's puck handling didn't help but everyone was screwed up last night. For example, on Pachiorety's shorty, both Karlsson and Wideman were on the same side of the net, so Anderson only had one play. Both usually play the right side, so who knows who was supposed to be on the left that shift. Note that they often only play one defenseman on the PP, so having both guys out at the same time was not the norm.

A game for the Sens to forget....

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Sather and the Ranger brass were at the Sens-Habs game last night, so I was expecting a move to be made. Many were saying Galchenyuk for Kreider. Not sure how much I like that move. Gally seemed to have a spark last night. I think he's seen a cancer on the team though.
    I think its good for Gally to go on a small tear to increase his marketability, still think hes our best piece to trade. Krieder is good, but hasnt realized his potential, Id take that trade though.

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    I think the teams use a camera high up behind each net to analyze there breakouts and defensive positioning FWIW.
    We sat around to let the crowd clear after the game and a guy came onto the ice to remove what looked like a small camera taped to the top of the glass right in front of us. I never noticed it until he came to remove it. I took a picture to show my husband the ladder that he was using.

leaf ladder.jpg

I don't know why it's sideways. It's not like that on my computer. You get the idea.

I think its good for Gally to go on a small tear to increase his marketability, still think hes our best piece to trade. Krieder is good, but hasnt realized his potential, Id take that trade though.
    I've heard this "potential" thing regarding Kreider for way too long now. Take it from someone who has watched him closely. This dude has the tools to be one of the better power forwards in the NHL. Problem is he'll have one game where he's an absolute boss and then be invisible for the next 10. SO frustrating. No killer instinct there either. I'd take this trade in a heartbeat.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I've heard this "potential" thing regarding Kreider for way too long now. Take it from someone who has watched him closely. This dude has the tools to be one of the better power forwards in the NHL. Problem is he'll have one game where he's an absolute boss and then be invisible for the next 10. SO frustrating. No killer instinct there either. I'd take this trade in a heartbeat.
    You'd be getting the same in return, which is why I don't see this trade happening. Plus, Galchenyuk has had a few off-ice issues..

Some times those are the trades that work best!

I can't believe I'm saying this...but does anything really compare to watching on tv these days? LOL

That being said...doesn't matter the sport, when you see it live at game level...size and speed blow your mind. If you haven't stood track side for a horse race, you have no idea the size and speed. Even soccer. I tell nay sayers all the time, who's major complaint is that it's a slow game. Watch a good one live and up close, the speed is the most jaw dropping aspect!! Hockey is mind blowing that way too.

Call me old...I turn down free tickets these days....unless it's the Leafs.

My friends up in NY say the exact same thing, especially during playoff time. Still, I'm weary of Galchenyuk and wouldnt mind seeing a change in the mix. Apparently Skjei is also potential trade bait (not to Habs, necessarily).

Of more immediate concern to the blueshirts will be coach... AV said to be gone within the next few loses...

My friends up in NY say the exact same thing, especially during playoff time. Still, I'm weary of Galchenyuk and wouldnt mind seeing a change in the mix. Apparently Skjei is also potential trade bait (not to Habs, necessarily).

Of more immediate concern to the blueshirts will be coach... AV said to be gone within the next few loses...
    I haven't heard that about Skjei. I'd hate to see him go...solid player. But yeah, I've heard AV probably on his way out. Can't say I'm a huge fan of his anyway. He tinkers with lines WAY too much and plays favorites. Who he's replaced with I have no idea. Interim coach would probably be Lindy Ruff.

I still think the Rangers have a good team, but we are in dire need of a center and defense really needs to wake up in front of Hank.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Remember when it looked like the Rangers and Canucks had all but swapped coaches? Torts didn't fare well in Vancouver but he's been doing OK since.... AV will probably be another retread for the Montreal Canadiens after Julien gets the axe. They have this stupid notion here that a coach MUST be French-speaking. Our most successful coaches were not (Irving, Blake, Bowman...). I'd rather have a coach tell me in English that we're gonna win the Cup, then have one explain to me in French why we're gonna miss the playoffs!

I haven't heard that about Skjei. I'd hate to see him go...solid player. But yeah, I've heard AV probably on his way out. Can't say I'm a huge fan of his anyway. He tinkers with lines WAY too much and plays favorites. Who he's replaced with I have no idea. Interim coach would probably be Lindy Ruff.

I still think the Rangers have a good team, but we are in dire need of a center and defense really needs to wake up in front of Hank.
    Check out Don LaGreca's podcast, "Game Misconduct," if you dont already, good stuff. Wait, a team in dire need of a center and a defense to support an all-world goaltender? Hmm... (theyre still better than the Habs IMO, more depth up front)

The eons are closing
    During Isles Avs game, Duchene finally traded mid game!

And more fuxked up is that he still has to go to Sweden anyway since it's Sens-Avs!!!

Oh...and the Isles crushed it tonight!
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit