Page 254 of 403 FirstFirst ... 154204244250251252253254255256257258264304354 ... LastLast
Results 6,326 to 6,350 of 10053

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Have fun, Scott!
    Thanks! Had a great time. This team is finally fun again, after two years of sluggish play and frustration. A healthy Giroux and the infusion of some youth have given the team new life. Should be a much-improved season.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

"The Canadiens haven't won in San Jose since Nov. 23, 1999"

I'll just leave this here....
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by oilersfan View Post
    Number of times I've had apartment security called on me so far this season because I was getting too loud during games: only once, though this is the earliest that it's ever happened, which even the security officers acknowledged. Their words when I opened the door last Saturday night...

'Really Brian? It's only October...'

Seriously Impressive Leaf win over Caps last night. 2-0 is flattering to the Caps, the Leafs danced circles around them all night, Holtby played great.

But seriously...Matthews 2 goals against the Habs were outta of this world. The first one is making the hilote reels, but to me, the OT winner was a goal that a nandful of nhlers could score. takes a 3 ft high saucer pass on the tape, settles it and releases it in a heartbeat, again leaving Price shaking his head. Ohhh my what a player we got. Best hand eye coordination I've ever seen...it's like his stick and the pucks are magnetized.

So much great young talent in the league. It's nice to see a little changing of the guard.

This pass from Nolan Patrick last night (if I can get this to work) was sick:

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/920449296541110272

Can't seem to make it work - hopefully the link works.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm just going to leave this here. These are league standings. Not division, not conference. League.

Screen Shot 2017-10-18 at 11.08.44 PM.jpg

Check with Lino for the exact parade route.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    Check with Lino for the exact parade route.
    Oh, you mean because the Leafs are in first place? Really? I hadn't noticed.

I was referring to Vegas being tied for third.

Saturday night Stan. First installment of the Battle of Ontario, as the pundits say.
    Should be a fun game.

Just remember...I'm the guy who, in the mid 80s when the Leafs were as pathetic a team as humanly possible, would stand up at a bar, wearing a Leaf jersey, and cheer at the top of my lungs when Wendell got a goal in an 8-1 loss. I'm the guy who played in an 8-ball league for 15 years, proudly going up to the table each game with my shiny blue Toronto Maple Leaf pool cue... you can only imagine what I dealt with at the start of every game. lol My team mates wondered why I would put up with the abuse. The same corny lines/jokes every fuckin week lol. "you win as often as your team?...that thing can't shoot straight!" Hey! Never heard that one before! LOL My point is, that you have no clue How much abuse I've taken over 50 years. Like, seriously though. lol You can't even imagine. Fuck, my own cousins and shit were yelling Leaf jabs at me during my wedding speech. hahaha. There's only one way to combat the Leaf hate and that's with in-your-face Leaf love. So yes, I'll gladly debate parade routes with anybody, even in October.

Right down fuckin Yonge St! There's your route! Lino, you'll have to save a spot for my mom. She has to make the commute from Montreal and she's barely 5' tall. Maybe she can sit on your shoulders?

Hockey related...

I'll be going to the theater on Oct 28th to see "Playing With Fire, The Story Of Theoren Fleury". It's a one-man show that is supposed to be absolutely brilliant! It's based on Fleury's biography. See link attached for a brief description and some photos of the stage presentation. Looking forward to it!

https://centaurtheatre.com/playing-with-fire.html

I am assuming you all know his story, but if you do not. He was an undersized player who fought tooth and nail at every level to make the cut. As a child he was often left in the care of a coach that sexually abused him. As a player he had a severe dependency on drugs and alcohol, and attempted suicide....
    Last edited by Yves; 10-20-2017 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Hockey related...

I'll be going to the theater on Oct 29th to see "Playing With Fire, The Story Of Theoren Fleury". It's a one-man show that is supposed to be absolutely brilliant! It's based on Fleury's biography. See link attached for a brief description and some photos of the stage presentation. Looking forward to it!

I am assuming you all know his story, but if you do not. He was an undersized player who fought tooth and nail at every level to make the cut. As a child he was often left in the care of a coach that sexually abused him. As a player he had a severe dependency on drugs and alcohol, and attempted suicide....
    Cool! I read his book and found it fascinating. Yes...I read a book.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Settle down Toronto fans...settle down. Still PLENTY of games left

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Cool! I read his book and found it fascinating. Yes...I read a book.
    It's been on my list but never got around to it. Probably after I see the play I'll need to read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Hockey related...

I'll be going to the theater on Oct 29th to see "Playing With Fire, The Story Of Theoren Fleury". It's a one-man show that is supposed to be absolutely brilliant! It's based on Fleury's biography. See link attached for a brief description and some photos of the stage presentation. Looking forward to it!

That looks really interesting. You'll have to let us know how it is Yves. We go to a lot of theatre and I'd see this in a heartbeat. My husband has read Fleury's book. I haven't. But I've seen lots of interviews where he's told his story. He's lived a heartbreaking life.

The eons are closing
    Fleury was always one of my out of conference faves. Knew of the background Yves spoke of, but have not read the bio.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Lucky Man
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Fleury was always one of my out of conference faves. Knew of the background Yves spoke of, but have not read the bio.
    If he was on your opponent's squad, you hated him. This is how you knew just how good he was. You hated him but you'd take him on your team anytime.

He was so fast, so quick, so slick.
    Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.

Settle down Toronto fans...settle down. Still PLENTY of games left
    Yeah, but if the playoffs were to start today....
    For sure. From what I see the Devils look like no less young upstarts than the Buds. But their goalie is world class.
    It's just so damn fun to f i n a l l y watch a team that you know will be in the playoff hunt every year. That's all you can ask in today's NHL. Once the playoffs start....ANYBODY can get hot as we've seen time and again. (Nashville anyone?? lol).

As for Fleury...I don't think we mere mortals can understand what it took for that kid to be an NHL star. He was the smallest guy at every level...in an era where ONLY size mattered lol. The decapitations he's had to duck alone should get him in hall of fame lol. It's not an easy road for anyone, but for a guy his size... big guys are trying to prove you don't belong every step of the way...and that's in your own locker room, never mind the opponents. It took a lot of guts and determination to make it as far as he did, let alone thrive.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    That looks really interesting. You'll have to let us know how it is Yves. We go to a lot of theatre and I'd see this in a heartbeat. My husband has read Fleury's book. I haven't. But I've seen lots of interviews where he's told his story. He's lived a heartbreaking life.
    Full review coming soon in this thread. I'll be seeing it on the 28th...

The thing with Fleury is that while he was playing some inspirational hockey for a guy his size, he was dealing with this huge monkey on his back. I did not read the bio but apparently the opening scene in the play is him with a gun in his mouth after a bender that literally lasted for weeks... powerful shit !

Yeah, I listened to several interviews with him on sports radio, as he was doing the book tour...incredible stuff!

Good win by your Sens, Stan, they were the better team on saturday for sure. I knew it would be trouble when i heard they had lost two in a row at home prior to that game...they came out like they wanted it, and they got it. Leafs face another hot team tonight in the Kings. Should be a good test.

What's with the cunucks taking 3 in a row on road against sens, bruins and wings? I though they were supposed to be shittttt. lol

It was a costly victory in that Bobby Ryan continues to block shots with his hands and once again has broken a finger. He's out for a month and there is nobody to replace him down on the farm.

Had to laugh at Matthews' comments about the Sens putting the Leafs to sleep. Ottawa fans are struggling with the "win-at-all-costs to the exclusion of being entertaining" philosophy employed by system-meister Guy Boucher. It's so bad here that they have covered up 1500 seats at the top of the arena to bring the capacity down to 17,000 - and they still can't sell out the place. It's a bad time for hockey in the nation's capital and probably won't improve much until at least the shovels are in the ground for the new arena that's to be built downtown. I don't see Boucher being shown the door any time soon as he and GM Pierre Dorion are really tight.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

holy crap the Rangers look bad

holy crap the Rangers look bad
    They look better than the Habs! Only Phoenix has a worse record in the entire league!