Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Helluva comeback by the Ducks to force o.t./Helluva collapse by Edmonton...
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

The missed call on the tying goal will be the topic of discussion but the Oilers absolutely shit the bed last night, simple as that.

What about my member? rottersclub's Avatar
    You're killing me, man!

Playoffs 004.jpg

(Note the 3pm start!
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after hes smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Insane game Ottawa Vs NYR....holy Schnittke!

OK, I've calmed down now. That was one hairy game. Lots of intensity and not much stoopid stuff. Neil did his job in under 3 min TOI and 12 in the box. Turris of all people led the team with 9 hits. He's not exactly known for his physical play. I think he really fooled Lundqvist on the winning goal in that he made it look like he was going high with his stick and then he beat him 5-hole.

I think all the Sens bought in to the fact that they were humiliated on the scoreboard and on the ice in Games 3 and 4 and they had to respond. Boucher has the luxury of moving bodies in and out of the lineup as the series progresses and he's done a good job utilizing his spare parts.

I think I predicted that this series would go 7 games and I still feel that way. I am expecting the home team to win the next two games. I just hope my whisky supply holds up!
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after hes smashed it with a hammer.

As I said, I have totally jinxed the Rangers
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Another last minute giveaway. Unreal. Series should be over and done with...SHIT! Anyway, respect to Ottawa for hangin in there and gettin' it done...PISS!

I can't for the life of me figure out how Neil got the job done though. All he did was take a stupid ass penalty to even up what would have been an Ottawa PP and then sat on the bench the rest of the night. Didn't stop Glass from bangin' bodies at all.

Anyway...hopin for a 7th game...
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe

Klonk, Neil is a special case here in Ottawa. They could have traded him away at the deadline several times and each time, they decided to keep him. He's like a spiritual leader and you may have noticed he wore an "A" on his sweater last night. To a man, the team all agreed he took a good penalty and it brought some confidence in their ability to stand up to the Rangers, who as I have said, at least on paper, are a better team. I doubt Neil will dress again in this series, as he's done his job. If it's a gong show at MSG on Tuesday, then he might be reinserted. If Borowiecki gets healthy, there's no way Neil plays.

I read that AV wondered if his guys on the ice realized that the Sens had pulled their goalie, based on their defensive posture when the tying goal was scored.

Makes sense. And I totally understand what Neil means to the team. 100%. On that particular play though we were all pissed at the stupid penalty Glass took by leveling Phaneuf and then we were all cheering when Neil came in and evened things up lol.

AV makes me scratch my head sometimes. To me, Staal and Holden are a liability and shouldn't be out there when Smith and Skjei have by far been the better D pair. I don't get it. And to be honest, I don't think the Rangers are better. I think these 2 teams are very evenly matched.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Makes sense. And I totally understand what Neil means to the team. 100%. On that particular play though we were all pissed at the stupid penalty Glass took by leveling Phaneuf and then we were all cheering when Neil came in and evened things up lol.

AV makes me scratch my head sometimes. To me, Staal and Holden are a liability and shouldn't be out there when Smith and Skjei have by far been the better D pair. I don't get it. And to be honest, I don't think the Rangers are better. I think these 2 teams are very evenly matched.
    Au Contraire - any play in which Phaneuf gets levelled is a good play. (Remember he played for the much disliked Leafs for years before coming to Ottawa. Old resentments die hard. And to be honest, he is still one of the biggest hacks in the league.)

Funny that you see something in Ottawa that I don't. In the Rangers, I see a younger, faster, more physical team with superior goaltending. Every time Anderson wanders out the net to play the puck is scary. Yet, Ottawa seems to have an intangible spirit (that comes and goes) that gives them the ability to come back and get it done in OT. The stats on leads in this series is perverse - I think the Sens have held the lead for around 10 minutes all told.

We are younger and fast, but we aren't overly physical. That just suddenly happened for the playoffs Though adding Smith and inserting Glass has helped in that regard. Neither team has superstars other than Karllsson and Lundqvist. If I had to pick an edge, it's that the Rangers do roll 4 pretty solid lines, but really...I just don't see all that much of a difference in our teams.

We'll see how it pans out tomorrow night! <bites the shit out of nails>

It feels like forever since the Habs were eliminated and we're still only in the second round. The playoffs are just too long once your team is bounced...

Ottawa! WTF?

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    It feels like forever since the Habs were eliminated and we're still only in the second round. The playoffs are just too long once your team is bounced...
    you need to love hockey more
    No humor please, we're skittish.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

RIP NYR.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    Ottawa! WTF?
    They just listed Ottawa's storybook sports year on the post-game show:

RedBlacks - CFL Champions
    Champions - CanAm Baseball League Champs
    Carleton Ravens - University Men's Basketball Champs for the 7th consecutive year
    and apparently our soccer team - The Fury - won their version of the President's Cup (i.e., regular season champs)

So only 8 more wins for the Sens to hoist the Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    Congrats man and good luck the rest of the way.

(There.. I have totally jinxed the Blue Shirts)
    Mission accomplished...

Gutsy game by the Sens! Congrats to them! I predict they will be playing the Caps in the next round...

I have a feeling the Pens will respond. The Caps totally exploited Fleury's weakness - top corner glove side - in Game 6, and I can't believe they will be able to keep beating him there. Mind you, Ottawa was able to beat King Henrik top corner blocker side with some frequency in their series, so this could be a mortal weakness. Too bad the Pens can't roll out Matt Murray to screw them up.

I think I am going to OD on Game 7s tonight. Can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Congrats man and good luck the rest of the way.
    Thanks. I'm still in shock. The Rangers were totally dominant in the third period, but thankfully, Anderson saved his best game of the series for last. I'm the Rangers still can't figure out how or why they lost. I saw a post-game interview with McDonagh and he seemed to be in disbelief or even denial.

The Sens were 2-1 against the Pens and 1-2 against the Caps (and I think they beat the backup Grubauer). So clearly it's, LET'S GO PENS!

congrats Ottawa - well deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post

I have secured my bandwagon reservation!

I just hope they make it to the Finals...and face the Oilers!

I just hope they make it to the Finals...and face the Oilers!
    Right on Yves! Bettman would shit his pants!

Caps collapse. Whodathunk?

Oh right, everybody.