Page 236 of 403 FirstFirst ... 136186226232233234235236237238239240246286336 ... LastLast
Results 5,876 to 5,900 of 10054

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Or maybe it's less than inspiring to be coached by a guy who can't see his feet when he looks down.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

When is the NHL Department of Do-Whatever-The-Hell-You-Want-We-Don't-Care going to do something about Marchand:

As skilled as Marchand is, I would not want him on my team.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Claude Julien is out in Boston...

https://www.nhl.com/news/claude-juli...ns/c-286509024

He was the longest tenured coach in the league. That honor now goes to Joel Quenneville. Who is after Quenneville?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Bueller?

Dave Tippett in Arizona. I would have never guessed that he's been the head coach there since September of '09.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oilersfan View Post
    Claude Julien is out in Boston...
    The cowards are having their press conference DURING THE PATRIOTS PARADE.

Not a lot of love for the current Bruins' management in these parts. Julien is very highly respected and I think he just jumped to the top of the list in Vegas. Whether he wants to start an expansion franchise is another matter though.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    Not a lot of love for the current Bruins' management in these parts.
    A lot of that is quite justified, though I think Sweeny and Axelson have quietly done some things that will help the Bruins in the future, and they started with a pretty empty cupboard.

If the Bruins just outright sucked this year, then I think you could put the blame pretty squarely on Sweeny. But they are extremely inconsistent, which points to Julien being unable to get consistency (consistent effort?) from them. I like a lot of what Julien brings to the table, and don't think he's the ultimate issue for the Bruins this season, but for whatever reason I'm not sure Julien is getting through to the players anymore, and am beginning to feel the organization needs a change.

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    Julien is very highly respected and I think he just jumped to the top of the list in Vegas. Whether he wants to start an expansion franchise is another matter though.
    I think he'd be a good choice to help put basic systems together. I think his success anywhere would be largely predicated on the quality of goaltending and defense, so if the expansion draft for Vegas is productive in those areas, then he could be a good fit.

Bill

Another sympton of the salary cap era.... firing coaches is about the only move you have o shake things up. Julien is a great coach, and he'll only stay unemployed as long as he wants to. Bruins lost their mojo when they let the toughness leave town.

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
    Another sympton of the salary cap era.... firing coaches is about the only move you have o shake things up. Julien is a great coach, and he'll only stay unemployed as long as he wants to. Bruins lost their mojo when they let the toughness leave town.
    And who was that exactly? Joe Thornton? Tim Thomas? I suppose Dougie Hamilton was pretty tough, but we couldn't keep him with the cap situation we were in, and we may have struck gold with this Carlo kid to replace what we lost with Hamilton. Many of the players on those Cup teams are still there.

My point is I don't think it was "toughness" leaving town, but rather some very bad decisions to tie up a lot of money into a lot of "mid-tier" players, while some other players like Chara have gotten older and slower. Sweeny hasn't totally righted the ship on that issue, yet, and has even perpetuated it to some extent with the Backes hire. You can't rebuild and compete for the playoffs simultaneously. I suspect we'll now finally see the Bruins in more "fire sale" mode, which is probably what should have happened two years ago. They need to move a lot of these older guys out and embrace the youth for a while. They also need to find a freaking backup goalie, they're running Rask into the ground.

I think they'll figure it out, but it ain't going to be this year, and probably not next. But like Ben Cherington, Sweeny has built up some good young talent of which we will have a glut quite soon, so they will have opportunities.

Bill

Habs keep playing the way they did in Denver and they'll be looking for a new coach next year too. Bergevin's seat is gonna get hot and he can't fire the whole team. I know they're still in first place but that's merely because of a hot start and a weak division. Anywhere else they'd looking up to other teams... I never liked Therrien from Day One and will continue to dislike him until he is fired, where I will be able to dislike him on the Habs post-game show, where Bergevin found him.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

well, you neglected to mention Lucic. But anyway, I don't follow the team that well, but definitely notice that playing against Boston ain't what it used to be, they were a lot more intimidating, especially in their building. Now a bunch of teenagers in the Leafs can walk in and score 6. Just sayin, don't think that could have happened a couple years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
    well, you neglected to mention Lucic. But anyway, I don't follow the team that well, but definitely notice that playing against Boston ain't what it used to be, they were a lot more intimidating, especially in their building. Now a bunch of teenagers in the Leafs can walk in and score 6. Just sayin, don't think that could have happened a couple years ago.
    You are absolutely correct, I did forget about Lucic, which surprises me a bit.

He was tough, though not nearly as tough as the reputation he had built primarily from his first couple of seasons. He was a grinding player, though, and you're right, the Bruins did lose something when he left which they have not replaced. I'm still not sure that's really the issue with the B's though, it's more a general degeneration of talent, particularly in the defense. They've been saying they want to get "faster" and "more skilled" for years, so if they added talent in that area it theoretically would have compensated for being "less tough." Clearly they have not added that talent, and in light of their stated goals, the Backes move really is a head-scratcher.

This is the third year the Bruins will likely miss the playoffs. They've struggled at home this season and last season, I'm not clear why, but it smacks more of effort than toughness to me. Some of that could come back to coaching. Not that Julien is a bad coach by any means, but it seems he may have finally "lost the room." I'm sorry to see him go, but part of me feels it was time for a change.

Bill

The eons are closing
    The curse of Johnny Boychuk!
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    The curse of Johnny Boychuk!

The eons are closing
    Solid full 60 minute game from Isles tonight.
    Knew the Phlyers had been struggling but didn't know they're only avg 1.5 goals per game over last month!

RIP Mike Ilitch, dead at 87. One of the great team owners of all time. Thanks for the 4 Stanley Cups and 6 final series total.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

During a taping of a Quebec variety show (to be broadcast this Sunday), Eric Lindros finally wore a Nordiques jersey, 26 years after being drafted by Quebec and refusing to wear it.

Hell has finally frozen over...

lindros nordiques.jpg

Those were great unis.

Had they stayed in Quebec, they would have had the Cup champions that Colorado built with pieces from the Lindros trade. RIP Nordiques.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    RIP Mike Ilitch, dead at 87. One of the great team owners of all time. Thanks for the 4 Stanley Cups and 6 final series total.
    Just heard about this tonight. Sad news indeed although he has been sick for a long time. Too bad he did not get to see his new stadium completed nor did he ever get that elusive World Series win from the Tigers. No doubt he has been one of the great franchise owners of all time.

Yep, RIP Mr. Illitch. One of the very best NHL owners ever.

Craig Anderson makes his return to the Ottawa net in fine style - a 3-0 blanking of the Islanders. Great to have him back and he will just get better the more he plays. He's been off since early December.

The eons are closing
    Sens played an excellent game. Isles looked a little unfocused especially in 2nd period.

Isles have back2back with a home game Sunday...so I hope the malaise is left in Canada! lol

Blueshirts are on the horizon....so all hands on deck!

Want to feel old? This was 26 years ago!

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/eric-li...171650917.html

The eons are closing
    Bring it Esther! The Isles won't let the Buds get in our way on Tuesday!

[emoji2]

- Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Bring it Esther! The Isles won't let the Buds get in our way on Tuesday!

[emoji2]

- Thomas
    Those are fighting words Thomas.

Sitting in the middle of the pack actually feels pretty good when you're a Leafs fan.