Page 228 of 402 FirstFirst ... 128178218224225226227228229230231232238278328 ... LastLast
Results 5,676 to 5,700 of 10029

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

The eons are closing
    Sigh...Isles essentially played only 10 minutes of good hockey. Blueshirts earned that one.

Now, on the road again to the capitalscum on Saturday...before a home opener with the Ducks on Sunday? wTF? Not even Cindy for a home opener? [emoji107]
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Sigh...Isles essentially played only 10 minutes of good hockey. Blueshirts earned that one.
    Just got back from the game...my throat hurts from all the mock "YES! YES! YES!" chants
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Very encouraging start for the Rangers, not just because of the win, but because of the noticeable changes from last year: Faceoff proficiency, team speed, and especially more shots and less pass-pass-pass-turnover. You will score more by putting the puck on goal and crashing the net than you will trying to make the perfect, low-percentage, pin-point pass. I thought the first goal was a thing of beauty. Could the fancy-boy days be over?

I guess Montoya showed me why the Habs released Condon. He held them in the game , and some very opportunistic play allowed them to walk away with a 4-1. The score is misleading though.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    Very encouraging start for the Rangers, not just because of the win, but because of the noticeable changes from last year: Faceoff proficiency, team speed, and especially more shots and less pass-pass-pass-turnover. You will score more by putting the puck on goal and crashing the net than you will trying to make the perfect, low-percentage, pin-point pass. I thought the first goal was a thing of beauty. Could the fancy-boy days be over?
    <high five>

Agree about the offense. We have potential now to put in lots of goals. That's a nice change. On defense though...I personally think McIlrath should play above Holden. I didn't think he was that great last night. Used his body, but made bad decisions with the puck. Brady Skjei was awesome and isn't going anywhere and I thought Clendenning was excellent. Put in the big dude!

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    <high five>

Agree about the offense. We have potential now to put in lots of goals. That's a nice change. On defense though...I personally think McIlrath should play above Holden. I didn't think he was that great last night. Used his body, but made bad decisions with the puck. Brady Skjei was awesome and isn't going anywhere and I thought Clendenning was excellent. Put in the big dude!
    I agree; they should give him a shot. But, let's not get crazy and think that he's better than what he is. The fact that they made the mistake of drafting him as high as they did is something that they're trying to move on from (thankfully). It still befuddles me that Gordie Clark and Jim Schoenfeld are still employed by the Rangers. Their scouting department is horrible, and their player evaluation skills are sorely lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by musicislife View Post
    I agree; they should give him a shot. But, let's not get crazy and think that he's better than what he is. The fact that they made the mistake of drafting him as high as they did is something that they're trying to move on from (thankfully).
    True...we could have Tarasenko! Oh well. I have to be honest and say a big part of me is old school and I do like to have a guy in there who will punish people in an around the crease and drop gloves when needed. That may cloud my judgement a bit on how good Big Mac really is, but I have watched him closely and while his skating still needs work, the guy can move the puck pretty damn well and has a good shot that he isnt afraid to use.

True...we could have Tarasenko! Oh well. I have to be honest and say a big part of me is old school and I do like to have a guy in there who will punish people in an around the crease and drop gloves when needed. That may cloud my judgement a bit on how good Big Mac really is, but I have watched him closely and while his skating still needs work, the guy can move the puck pretty damn well and has a good shot that he isnt afraid to use.
    I've been a Rangers fan since the days when they had their BEST hockey team (TAG line, Giacomin, etc). The game has changed drastically. McIlrath skates like a lumberjack. Whether or not his CORSI's are acceptable, he doesn't pass the smell test for what a hockey player needs to be in 2016. And his CORSI's were inflated because he'd simply pass to Yandle who'd skate it out of the zone. Yandle, btw, is severely overestimated by the majority of Rangers fans. He's a defenseman, and he's atrocious at defense.

Ya lost me at CORSI I'm not much for stats. That first pass by a defenseman is incredibly important...even if it's just a tap to Yandle to get it out of the zone. That's a smart play by me.

I totally agree Yandle was overrated and sucked on defense though.

Ya lost me at CORSI I'm not much for stats. That first pass by a defenseman is incredibly important...even if it's just a tap to Yandle to get it out of the zone. That's a smart play by me.

I totally agree Yandle was overrated and sucked on defense though.
    It's basically all the fancy stats that people are obsessed with these days. I had someone try to convince me that based on his "analytics", Dave Kingman should have been a first ballot HOFer. LOL

Btw, we need another Leetch.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I guess Montoya showed me why the Habs released Condon. He held them in the game , and some very opportunistic play allowed them to walk away with a 4-1. The score is misleading though.
    Change this to 4-0 and it's basically how I feel after last night's game against the Pens.

Quote Originally Posted by musicislife View Post
    I've been a Rangers fan since the days when they had their BEST hockey team (TAG line, Giacomin, etc). The game has changed drastically. McIlrath skates like a lumberjack. Whether or not his CORSI's are acceptable, he doesn't pass the smell test for what a hockey player needs to be in 2016. And his CORSI's were inflated because he'd simply pass to Yandle who'd skate it out of the zone. Yandle, btw, is severely overestimated by the majority of Rangers fans. He's a defenseman, and he's atrocious at defense.
    I've been a Ranger fan since that playoff loss to Philthy-delphia back in 1974. I think this years team has the potential to make a legitimate run for the Cup with the 4 lines they have now. If they make a move to get Trouba to solidify their D, all the better. With the exception of McDonagh our defense is...not good. Klein's return tonight will help and having Girardi out will REALLY help.

My biggest worry is the idiot running the show behind bench. How this clown has been able to be as successful as he has ASTOUNDS me. Take Monday night's game as an example; Buch goes down so what does he do? He moves up Fast (a defensive forward, and one of AV's pets) to the 3rd and keeps Pirri (a proven scorer) buried on the 4th line. Really? And then he staples Dylan to the bench for the 3rd period and plays 5 defensemen while SJ comes roaring back.

I think the talent on this team will , again, make AV look like a genius. Which sucks because, in the end, his decisions and poor player management will be our demise...again.

LGR!

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    I've been a Ranger fan since that playoff loss to Philthy-delphia back in 1974. I think this years team has the potential to make a legitimate run for the Cup with the 4 lines they have now. If they make a move to get Trouba to solidify their D, all the better. With the exception of McDonagh our defense is...not good. Klein's return tonight will help and having Girardi out will REALLY help.

My biggest worry is the idiot running the show behind bench. How this clown has been able to be as successful as he has ASTOUNDS me. Take Monday night's game as an example; Buch goes down so what does he do? He moves up Fast (a defensive forward, and one of AV's pets) to the 3rd and keeps Pirri (a proven scorer) buried on the 4th line. Really? And then he staples Dylan to the bench for the 3rd period and plays 5 defensemen while SJ comes roaring back.

I think the talent on this team will , again, make AV look like a genius. Which sucks because, in the end, his decisions and poor player management will be our demise...again.

LGR!
    I wouldn't call him an idiot, but I question some of his moves. At least Tanner Glass isn't here anymore!

I disagree about McD being the only good D. Clendenning has been a pretty solid surprise so far. Staal has been very good...he looks strong and healthy. Klein is a steady D with grit who can add on offense (I really like this guy and think he unfairly gets shit) Good to have him back tonight like you said, Dale. I totally agree about Girardi...this guy's done. Great Ranger once, but he's done. And then there's McIlrath who I knew was done after that dumb ass, useless fight he had. If he wants to stay in the line-up he has to choose his spots more wisely. Not to mention he just didn't look good. I pull for the kid, but have lots of doubts. Oh and btw Holden...what does he do that gets him the minutes? I think he sucks. And yeah...Trouba would be nice...as would Shattenkirk

Regarding Fast I was pretty surprised too that Pirri wasn't Buch's replacement. I do like him though. He's a tenacious forechecker and excellent defensive forward...for the 3rd or 4th lines. Although that was a pretty nice assist on Kreider's goal.

How about Kreider?! Dude is on a mission so far...

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post

LGR!
    I wouldn't call him an idiot, but I question some of his moves. At least Tanner Glass isn't here anymore!

I disagree about McD being the only good D. Clendenning has been a pretty solid surprise so far. Staal has been very good...he looks strong and healthy. Klein is a steady D with grit who can add on offense (I really like this guy and think he unfairly gets shit) Good to have him back tonight like you said, Dale. I totally agree about Girardi...this guy's done. Great Ranger once, but he's done. And then there's McIlrath who I knew was done after that dumb ass, useless fight he had. If he wants to stay in the line-up he has to choose his spots more wisely. Not to mention he just didn't look good. I pull for the kid, but have lots of doubts. Oh and btw Holden...what does he do that gets him the minutes? I think he sucks. And yeah...Trouba would be nice...as would Shattenkirk

Regarding Fast I was pretty surprised too that Pirri wasn't Buch's replacement. I do like him though. He's a tenacious forechecker and excellent defensive forward...for the 3rd or 4th lines. Although that was a pretty nice assist on Kreider's goal.

How about Kreider?! Dude is on a mission so far...
    I am hopeful I say we give it 20 games or so to see what we have. I have faith that Gorton knows what he's doing. There are some rumors btw that something's brewing with Anaheim. Hopefully it's not a trade to get Etem back. LOL

At least it's great to have hockey finally!

RE: Kreider I thought in his first season he reminded me of Lindros, but of course he hasn't played anywhere near that level to this point. So far in this young season, I'd say he's looking more like he has a chance to become that type player. Hopefully Eric, not Brett .

So it's only been a week but scoring is up quite significantly this year (yay!). There are lots of theories (no, not because Price is hurt), but as they say, it's a small sample size. One interesting thought is that there are a lot of rookies playing right now and generally, they are in the NHL because of their offensive skills, rather than their defensive abilities. It's possible that some will get sent back to junior before they play 9 games and their spots will be taken by more defensively responsible players. But it's a lot of fun to see young guys playing with so much speed and skill.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Where the hell did this Jimmy Howard guy come from?! Rangers should have won that game last night 20-2!

Price is back tonight, though Montoya filled in more than admirably.. This new-look Habs team still needs to gel , but I like what I see so far. They just haven't put together a solid 60-minute game yet...

Wheee, scored tix today for next Friday's home opener vs. the Blueshirts! Stoked . . . . . . . . . .
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Reginod View Post
    Wheee, scored tix today for next Friday's home opener vs. the Blueshirts! Stoked . . . . . . . . . .
    What's the appeal? You can no longer catch all the Staal bros. in one game.

Habs off to their usual fast start. Can they maintain a decent pace for the whole season though? This current edition looks like it could weather the storm better if Price were to go down. They've got 4 lines going strong and play a much more physical brand of hockey. Been fun to watch so far!

We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
    But only we are gifted with the eyes to see
    On days without FEAR, when our heads are clear
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

The eons are closing
    LOL....awesome.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Cubs in the World Series
    Indians in the World Series
    Cavaliers getting their rings
    Flyers win an OT shootout

It's a crazy night, kids.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Hmm, Sens put in a great effort in Vancouver last night. Hard on the puck, no dumb penalties because they were chasing the game, kept the shots allowed below 30 and Anderson threw a shutout. Nice job.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)