Page 227 of 403 FirstFirst ... 127177217223224225226227228229230231237277327 ... LastLast
Results 5,651 to 5,675 of 10059

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by oilersfan View Post
    For those involved, I'll be reactivating the PE Fantasy Hockey Leagues at some point in the next few days. Keep an eye out for an email from Yahoo.
    Sweet!
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Clarke MacArthur went down in a scrimmage yesterday. It's another head injury - his fourth in 18 months. There's a lot of doubt about whether he will ever be able to play again, as he is very prone to these injuries - not unlike Marc Savard. It's a shame as he is a good team guy and plays a 200 foot game.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

That sucks. Hate it when good players have their careers cut short (if that's what happens).

Let's go Rangers! I got me an 11 game season ticket plan with my Dad and bro. Should be fun. 1st preseason game starts tomorrow against Isles...can't wait for this season to start
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

For those involved (and I hope not to sidetrack the thread too much), both of our fantasy hockey leagues were renewed on Sunday, September 25th. For our traditional league, the draft is at 9:00PM Eastern/6:00PM Pacific on Sunday, October 9th. For our keeper league, keeper selections are due by/on October 9th with the draft on Monday, October 10th at 9:00PM Easter/6:00PM Pacific. In addition, I have tentatively added 'Hits' as a stat for skaters this year and was hoping for some discussion regarding that stat category over on the fantasy pages themselves in terms of whether we would like to add it as a permanent category. 'Blocks' (blocked shots) is also a possibility for skaters as well.

Thanks for the reminder, Brian. I want revenge for losing by tie breaker!! I like 'hits' as a stat...not so much 'blocks'

I definitely like having an odd number of categories...having ten total just made the possibility of a tie more likely. Ties can still happen but I'm thinking that this might diminish them to at least some degree.

New Edmonton Oilers mascot revealed. This article is worth reading just for the yucks. Here's a sample..."The mascot is named Hunter as a tribute to “Wild Bill” Hunter, the original owner of the Edmonton Oilers...You’ll notice the mascot has green eyes in honor of the million dollar contract Hunter used to steal Bobby Hull for the WHA".

This is one scary looking mascot! I'll stick with Carlton the Bear, thanks.

55d0292dadd02b1f6be0e9dccf695238.jpg

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/pass-or...145301759.html

The eons are closing
    Actually, I think its kinda awesome, in that Cartoon Network Adult Swim kinda way

Sent from my OnePlus One awaiting a LuneOS port
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Another concussion for Cindy-
    https://www.nhl.com/news/sidney-cros...on/c-282530964
    No timeline as to his return.

:: LET'S GO RANGERS! :: Can't believe it's just about that time again!
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Sorry to learn that Crosby is concussed again. He is probably the best player in the world right now, so all hockey fans lose on this deal.

Can't say I'm very enthused about my team's prospects this year. So far, there has been no discernible improvement in the defensive zone play, at least in terms of shots allowed and puck possession stats. It's pretty much the same cast as last year and Clark MacArthur is again out with a concussion. He's a second line winger and it sounds like the "plan" is pooched because of he's out. What it really means is that there is no depth in the organization and there so far, aren't any decent prospects coming over the waiver wire. They have decent goaltending but any tandem that sees that much rubber is going to be middle of the pack at best.

The "plan" was to bring in a new improved "system" as taught by Guy Boucher. The players have no clue how to play his system, so it must be a doozey. It's comical to hear the players explain that it's tough to adapt to a new system, after playing essentially the same one for the past 5 years. If they can't figure out this system, then maybe the system is too complicated for the average professional hockey player.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.

I think the Habs will be back in the playoff hunt this season. I think the Weber deal will turn out to be favorable for the Habs in the short term, which is all that matters to GMs and coaches trying to hold on to their jobs. I think we've added a little offensive punch this year too.

...now... DROP THE PUCK!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Don't forget about Radulov, Yves. That guy may be a big surprise.

No idea what to expect with the Rangers this year. We are younger and definitely faster. Better? Jury's out on that. My biggest concern is on D. Henrik still has good years left. I'm loving this Zibanejad kid and Vesey is going to be a player. Drop the puck!

I know exactly what to expect from the Leafs.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    I know exactly what to expect from the Leafs.
    At least they're ahead of my team (Avalanche) in the TSN Power Rankings. For now anyway

http://www.tsn.ca/capitals-open-on-t...kings-1.583412

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Don't forget about Radulov, Yves. That guy may be a big surprise.
    Lehtonnen, Radulov, Shaw.... This is going to be a very different team this season. I have to say though that they treated Condon like shite. I thought he'd proven himself a capable back up but they're going with Montoya and Condon was placed on waivers where the Pens picked him up.

The eons are closing
    Thank god for the Leafs or I would have nothing to laugh at :-) lol

Leafs will get better. They'll build around Matthews, whom I think is going to be the real deal.

Wayne Gretzky returns to Oilers. NHL's all-time scoring leader joins Oilers' Entertainment Group as Partner and Vice Chairman.
    https://www.nhl.com/news/wayne-gretz...ve/c-282591750

As it once was, and as it always shall be.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Leafs will get better. They'll build around Matthews, whom I think is going to be the real deal.
    The second goal of Matthews' hat trick tonight was off the charts. I know it's only one game and it isn't over yet, but WOW and now he has four going into the third WTF!

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    And the leafs still lose. Oh Toronto!
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

The eons are closing
    Sorry Esther...so leafs...

They need a goalie who can stop a puck. Some of those goals were WEAK.

That Leafs-Sens game last night was pretty symptomatic of what ails the Sens. Karlsson gets undressed by Matthews on his second goal. No one near Matthews in the deep slot for his third (or was it his fourth?). I was having a Sens-induced seizure at that point.

Leafs mustered 38 shots on the Sens. Anderson allowed 4 to get past him. Sens continued to take brutal penalties - mostly hooking - from being out of position or being too slow to keep up. New coach or not - it's the same players making the same mistakes over and over.

On the plus side, it was nice to see the top two lines share in the scoring. Brassard scored in his first regular season game for his hometown team. Klonk, I hope Zbad does well in NYC. I think it was his inconsistency that did him in with Ottawa. If he can play at or near his skill level all the time, you will have won the trade.

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    On the plus side, it was nice to see the top two lines share in the scoring. Brassard scored in his first regular season game for his hometown team. Klonk, I hope Zbad does well in NYC. I think it was his inconsistency that did him in with Ottawa. If he can play at or near his skill level all the time, you will have won the trade.
    I really like the kid! Great shot, good size and speed. We've needed a PP guy for a while who thinks shoot first. THAT was my most frustrating thing with Brassard. He's a great player all around, but unselfish to the point where it will drive you nuts. I was a big Brassard fan though and was sad to see him go. He'll put up decent numbers for your Sens.

Pretty amazing that Matthews scores 4 in his first NHL game. ...although it was his man he lost who scored the OT winner

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    And the leafs still lose. Oh Toronto!
    I know right? WTF! I actually only got to see the last 10 minutes of last night's game. My favourite part was realizing that it was Anderson vs. Andersen.