Page 226 of 402 FirstFirst ... 126176216222223224225226227228229230236276326 ... LastLast
Results 5,626 to 5,650 of 10040

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Nice! Rangers land Jimmy Vesey
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

The eons are closing
    Esther: just catching up on the thread and saw your post. Condolences in Jeff's passing.

- Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    I think that in the past here I've mentioned a good friend of mine who is a Habs fan, and he and I just love to tease each other. I tease him about the Habs and he teases me about the Leafs. It's all in good fun, and we actually try to get together to watch each Leafs/Habs game during the year. Traditionally, Montreal and Toronto always open their seasons against each other and we have a standing date to watch that game together...we've done it for years.

I found out this afternoon that this friend passed away yesterday. It was a complete shock. Apparently he was diagnosed with cancer only five weeks ago and didn't want anyone other than his immediate family to know. It seems so unreal!

This upcoming hockey season will not be the same for me. I know that the same group of us will still go to the same pub to watch the first Toronto/Montreal match-up and we'll raise a glass to Jeff. But it'll never be the same again. Damn, I'm going to miss him and his Habby ways.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Esther: just catching up on the thread and saw your post. Condolences in Jeff's passing.

- Thomas
    Thank you Thomas.

So I was golfing yesterday at my club and I stopped for a beverage. There were some hockey guys in front of me that turned out to be the past GM of the Ottawa 67s (who is a member) and two former NHLers who are also the fathers of two first rounders in this year's draft - Jeff Chychrun (father of Jacob) and Jeff Brown (current GM and coach of the 67s and father of Logan). I didn't recognize the fourth, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was a hockey guy too.

P.S. Ottawa is still a small town in a lot of ways.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Scott Gomez has officially announced his retirement from the NHL after 16 seasons.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/s...hl-16-seasons/

I don't know how I can imagine a hockey league without Gomez... *hides back tears*

Talk about a precipitous fall in effectiveness. Yikes.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

My favorite memory about Scott Gomez is Ryan McDonough. Still can't believe that deal was actually made

Some interesting moves for the Rangers this off season. I'm still concerned about the defense, but on paper I like how we've gotten faster, a bit more physical and it would seem we've tied up the loose ends on 3rd and 4th lines. Should be able to roll 4 lines regularly. PK should be much improved as well as PP (fingers crossed as this has been a huge issue). Of course this all remains to be seen!

Can't wait for the World Cup in a couple weeks. I'm itching for some hockey.

Controversial move from Ron Francis, giving Raffi Torres a tryout:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/n...e99634497.html
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Raffia Torres? Thought that guy was suspended for 13 years? Good luck!

Had fun watching the North America vs. Europe game last night. Good to see some hockey again! Those kids on NA are pretty talented mo fo's.

USA vs. CAN exhibition on right now...ahhh hockey...

The eons are closing
    Getting ready....

....to cry in my beer all season

- Thomas

How did last night's game go down? Did Price show some rust and let in a few soft ones? I only caught the very end and Canada was down 3-2 with a pulled goalie but had over 40 shots on net... I'm not overly concerned with the results. Canada will be there at the end.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

USA?! Wha' happen' ?

Oh yeah... you picked Torts to coach ya!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

The eons are closing
    No sh!t...worst coach ever. My wife cannot understand why anyone hires him. He's like Mike Keenan, except without the actual hockey knowledge.

Sent from my OnePlus One awaiting a LuneOS port

No sh!t...worst coach ever. My wife cannot understand why anyone hires him. He's like Mike Keenan, except without the actual hockey knowledge.

Sent from my OnePlus One awaiting a LuneOS port
    I'll grant you that he's unusually stubborn in his beliefs, but calling him a bad coach who has no knowledge of hockey is pretty off base. He is a smart hockey man. His defensive-minded approach may not completely work in the day and age of the self-entitled athlete, but that's a completely different story. NY is a pretty fair-weather sports town. Tortorella went from being a savior to being vilified fairly quickly. The moronic Sather didn't help when he starting blaming him for the Rangers' failures AFTER firing him. If we want to be truthful, it was Sather's approach to signing the wrong players to inappropriate long-term contracts that has hurt this team more than anything else (Bobby Holik, Wade Redden, Scott Gomez, Chris Drury anyone?). Classy! He hires Vigneault and his more offensive-minded approach to coach the Rangers, and they go to the Finals in his first year. Great, right? Now look at him. Most Rangers fans want to can his ass too. Would you call Vigneault lacking in hockey knowledge? I know I wouldn't.

He was hired because of his defensive system. USA doesn't have the firepower other teams have and the way they will win is with defense. Simple as that. Not my favorite coach either, but certainly not the worst ever.

Give some credit to EUR here...they played a great game. USA will rebound.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    He was hired because of his defensive system. USA doesn't have the firepower other teams have and the way they will win is with defense. Simple as that. Not my favorite coach either, but certainly not the worst ever.

Give some credit to EUR here...they played a great game. USA will rebound.
    And to be honest, the Rangers haven't exactly had offensive firepower since Jagr, Nylander and Straka left after Hank's FIRST year. Their PP has had huge problems for as long as I can remember. Their plan HAS to be defensive responsibility, even to this day. Due to their large dependence on him, Hank will probably die right after saving a blast with his head from the red line. Don't blame Tortorella for that. At least he was able to read the handwriting on the wall. Let's see if Vigneault is able to adapt this year.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by musicislife View Post
    I'll grant you that he's unusually stubborn in his beliefs, but calling him a bad coach who has no knowledge of hockey is pretty off base. He is a smart hockey man. His defensive-minded approach may not completely work in the day and age of the self-entitled athlete, but that's a completely different story. NY is a pretty fair-weather sports town. Tortorella went from being a savior to being vilified fairly quickly. The moronic Sather didn't help when he starting blaming him for the Rangers' failures AFTER firing him. If we want to be truthful, it was Sather's approach to signing the wrong players to inappropriate long-term contracts that has hurt this team more than anything else (Bobby Holik, Wade Redden, Scott Gomez, Chris Drury anyone?). Classy! He hires Vigneault and his more offensive-minded approach to coach the Rangers, and they go to the Finals in his first year. Great, right? Now look at him. Most Rangers fans want to can his ass too. Would you call Vigneault lacking in hockey knowledge? I know I wouldn't.
    Man you're a total buZZkill everywhere.

Man you're a total buZZkill everywhere.
    Cuz I know more than the average bear and am able to form a reasonable opinion? What exactly are you looking for here? A place to commiserate with other complainers? You sound like an old wash woman. If you believe your opinion is correct, convince me then. Btw, I'm a lifelong Rangers fan, so I've followed them closely.

Quote Originally Posted by musicislife View Post
    I'll grant you that he's unusually stubborn in his beliefs,
    Understatement-of- the-year ! I remember his time in Tampa before his Rangers years. He was a gas ! Not too popular with people (or the players) as I remember. I always loved his attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by tom unbound View Post
    Understatement-of- the-year ! I remember his time in Tampa before his Rangers years. He was a gas ! Not too popular with people (or the players) as I remember. I always loved his attitude.
    He was being groomed in the Rangers system before Tampa. He's got that stubborn New York via Boston 'tude. He marches to his own beat. It's a quality worth some admiration. I always love it when people blame or credit any coach too much. Fwiw, coaching or managing in NYC is no easy task for anyone. Fan expectations are always high and media-driven pressure is off the charts. Tortorella is a type A who will always wear his heart on his sleeve. He's not exactly alone in that. People need to be less pot meet kettle, in general. As I said, the Rangers haven't exactly been stocked with mind-blowing offensive talent over the last 10 years. They have a tendency to overrate every one of their draft picks - the ones they don't trade away, anyway. Also, they end up always trading for or signing the wrong "savior". Maybe it's time to point the finger at their talent evaluators instead of their coaches. Talking Gordie Clark and Jim Schoenfeld.

I much prefer AV's offensive style over Torts defensive, block every shot style. However, AV's love affair with Tanner Glass is a total mystery to me.

Speaking of Torts...looks like USA is going to have to win out and it starts tomorrow night against CAN...yikes! Go North America!

...oh and by the way, this North America team is a helluva lot of fun to watch! Unbelievable talent.

...oh and by the way, this North America team is a helluva lot of fun to watch! Unbelievable talent.
    Yeah,whoever came up with the idea to form a team of U-23 Canadians and Americans is a genius. McDavid to Matthews, priceless. Hopefully they'll hold the lead versus the dirty Ruskies.

For those involved, I'll be reactivating the PE Fantasy Hockey Leagues at some point in the next few days. Keep an eye out for an email from Yahoo.

Lightning players are doing really good.
    I'm watching Drouin this year. If he can just keep his head on straight ....