Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    It's there to dissuade teams from tanking.
    Oh I know. I just think it's stupid.
    No humor please, we're skittish.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

Looks like the Pens should be losing a player for three games.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Looks like the Pens should be losing a player for three games.
    And a key player at that... It definitely looked to me like he was head hunting.. Stupid play!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Letang has always been a hothead, dirty mo fo. There's really no difference between that hit and the other idiot Orpik's hit. SHOULD be the same suspension but we'll see.

By far the most exciting series in this second round has been Dallas/St. Louis.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe

I think Letang will get 2 games only because it wasn't within the same time frame as Orpik's hit. Orpik had way more time and it was obvious where Letang's wasn't as "premeditated" in my opinion. Their both assholes but I'd be surprised if Letang got the same.
    We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
    But only we are gifted with the eyes to see
    On days without FEAR, when our heads are clear
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

The eons are closing
    There will be a line brawl at some point in this series, no doubt.

As for discipline, if it's not tit for tat from the NHL, there will be lots of whining from all corners.

Sent from my OnePlus One awaiting a LuneOS port
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    There will be a line brawl at some point in this series, no doubt.

As for discipline, if it's not tit for tat from the NHL, there will be lots of whining from all corners.
    One game suspension for doing the same thing. Why doesn't that surprise me.

The eons are closing
    As long time thread readers may recall, I have long believed the Isles lead the league in goals surrendered within the last 90 seconds of a period.

So while crushing, not surprised Isles give up goals within last minute twice last night.

Onto game 4.....

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    One game suspension for doing the same thing. Why doesn't that surprise me.
    There's gonna be trouble for sure now.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    There's gonna be trouble for sure now.
    Not now I don't think. Unless there's a game that's a blowout. It would be stupid.

That was one hell of a hit Hickey put on Drouin last night...holy shit! Can't believe he came back. I also enjoyed Boyle's payback hit on him in OT before the game winner Both nice and clean too...even though Hickey tried selling it as a head shot Isles had that game man...outplayed Tampa most of the way through...lucky bounces.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Not now I don't think. Unless there's a game that's a blowout. It would be stupid.

That was one hell of a hit Hickey put on Drouin last night...holy shit! Can't believe he came back. I also enjoyed Boyle's payback hit on him in OT before the game winner Both nice and clean too...even though Hickey tried selling it as a head shot[emoji38]Isles had that game man...outplayed Tampa most of the way through...lucky bounces.
    Isles have real panic attacks towards the end of periods. Should've had that one....

Can the Caps win 3 in a row? Highly doubtful....

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Can the Caps win 3 in a row? Highly doubtful....
    They are outplaying them and just can't get the puck in the goal. Haven't given up yet.

It's tough to win that 4th game so it's not over yet. These teams have gone back and forth throughout this series and the Pens just seem to be getting the bounces. You have to figure that they'll manage to eek out one more victory...

What about my member? rottersclub's Avatar
    I think psychologically, the Caps had to win last night, with Letang out of the lineup. If they couldn't beat a depleted Pens lineup missing their top defenceman, they have to feel that their chances are that much worse with Letang returning for Game 5. Full marks to the Pens for the win.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after hes smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Wow, that overtime was Nucking Futs last night! Probably the overall most exciting I've ever seen as far as chances and crazy missed opportunities. Too bad Nashville won it but super fun to watch.
    We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
    But only we are gifted with the eyes to see
    On days without FEAR, when our heads are clear
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

Seems like the 3 games today were blowouts compared to several previous days matches, especially yesterday's 2 bonus'. Hope Tampa Bay loses tomorrow because-
    ***Chase Club and Lexus Lounge ticket holders: Please note that for all 2016 NHL Playoff Games at Amalie Arena, only Tampa Bay Lightning-branded team apparel (or neutral apparel) will be permitted in these clubs and in the adjoining seating areas. Fans wearing visiting team-branded apparel will be asked to remove such apparel while in these areas.***

Total B.S. Those same clubs here at The Garden and Met Life Stadium don't care wtf you wear. One should always be able to support their teams regardless of their seating or club access locations.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Guy Boucher!? I wonder how long he's going to last.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after hes smashed it with a hammer.

And Marc Crawford signs on to be Boucher's assistant. The plot thickens. They must have had some dealings when both were coaching in Switzerland. And of course Boucher said all the right things at his presser. But still, how uncomfortable is it to:

1) have management foist a newly hired assistant on you when it is customary for the new head coach to hire his own assistants, and
    2) have a former Stanley Cup winner breathing down your neck from Day 1.

Ottawa is showing how not to handle a major management transition.

I've gone on record in this thread a little while back stating that I believed Boucher was a coach who deserved a second chance at an NHL job. I thought he was bringing Crawford along with him, I did not realise it wasn't his choice. That could be a little awkward... Crawford isn't one to play second fiddle...

I've gone on record in this thread a little while back stating that I believed Boucher was a coach who deserved a second chance at an NHL job. I thought he was bringing Crawford along with him, I did not realise it wasn't his choice. That could be a little awkward... Crawford isn't one to play second fiddle...
    Well, it depends if you believe the spin Ottawa is spinning. First of all, they admitted they were negotiating with Boudreau but wouldn't give him the 4 year contract on which he was adamant. So they told him to explore other options and within minutes (seemingly), he's got a 4 year deal with Minnesota. Then Ottawa says, Boucher was our guy all along. He was both Dorion's and Lee's (assistant GM) first choice. Previously, they said that the final interview would be with Melnyk, but it appears they did not actually speak before the deal was done.

WRT Crawford, he interviewed for the head coaching job. Boucher has been quoted as saying that he and Crawford both talked about working together in the NHL when they were both working in Switzerland. So within several hours of Boucher's contract being announced, Crawford's hiring is announced. Clearly, there was no formal interview between Boucher (once he was the head coach) and Crawford. So it seems, Ottawa connected some dots and added Crawford to the staff. I'm sure they will work well together - at first. I guess it's becoming more prevalent, having a former head coach working as an assistant. Off the top of my head I can think of Jacques Martin, Paul McLean and Kevin Dineen (and those are just the Ottawa boys). But it sure looks pretty threatening for the club to hire your first assistant and he interviewed for your job. Awkward!

Then again, I could be completely out to lunch on this. Wouldn't be the first time and won't be the last.

One of the things that made me laugh about the corporate spin we got, was they really liked Boucher's intensity. Come on man, every NHL coach is fiercely competitive. I thought Cameron was pretty intense. There were a few times I thought he would get a bench minor for arguing with the refs. And there was one time in the post game media scrum when someone (a TSN guy) asked him something that was really dumb. I thought Cameron was going to drop him. So please don't paint him as being a low key, easy going guy that buddied up with all the players. He was as tough as the next guy.

One other criticism of Boucher - do you remember the game against the Flyers when they refused to move the puck from behind the net in protest of the screwy 1-3-1 Boucher liked to play in Tampa. If I see any of that BS, I'm going on strike.
    Last edited by rottersclub; 05-10-2016 at 01:51 PM.

He did state in his press conference that he was going to "tighten up the defensive play", so expect it!

I thought Bob Hartley could have been an ideal candidate for the Sens. He is from Hawkesbury after all...

He did state in his press conference that he was going to "tighten up the defensive play", so expect it!
    No doubt about it. Boucher is VERY defensive minded so expect trap hockey.

So we have 2 Game 7's and possibly 3 depending on tonights game. I don't care who wins either...can't stand both those teams. I'll be pulling for Tampa next round regardless.

Let's go Blues! (though they aint making it easy! ) Both series in the West have been pretty freakin outstanding to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    So we have 2 Game 7's and possibly 3 depending on tonights game.
    2 Game 7's it stays. Pens up 3-0, 1/2way through and it's not even that close.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    2 Game 7's it stays. Pens up 3-0, 1/2way through and it's not even that close.
    Caps are playing like shit.