Page 217 of 402 FirstFirst ... 117167207213214215216217218219220221227267317 ... LastLast
Results 5,401 to 5,425 of 10040

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Brad to the Bone View Post
    Hard to believe Chicago, Anaheim, and LA all went out in the first round. I assume most people's playoff pools are pretty much toast now.
    Not that I'm bragging, but I was 7-1 in my picks here. Only the surprising Islanders tripped me up. What the hell is going on with them? They are playing way over their heads at the moment. And does anyone know what happened to Coach Capuano mid-game last night. He had to leave the bench for a while.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    Not that I'm bragging, but I was 7-1 in my picks here. Only the surprising Islanders tripped me up. What the hell is going on with them? They are playing way over their heads at the moment. And does anyone know what happened to Coach Capuano mid-game last night. He had to leave the bench for a while.
    1. Not really playing over their heads. They had 100 pts in regular season and had winning records against both Florida and TB (though of course, limited sample size). AND The Isles play in a much more competitive division.

2. Capuano got hit in face by puck ricochet. After that event, team got flustered and gave up the two goals while he was away to make it 4-3. Thankfully, he was okay, came back to bench and Isles locked it down for last 3 minutes.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

The eons are closing
    Re: scheduling
    Personally, I would prefer they go to #1 - 16; so there is the possibility of an Isles/Rangers final
    or a Toronto/Montreal final (not that the Leafs will get there in my remaining lifetime). That being said, they should re-seed after every round rather than using what is essentially a bracket.

Re: Round 2 while Round 1 was on
    Last happened in '83 I think when the Western Conf finals started while the East division round still going on.

Man, everything I have seen this year from Phillip Forsberg tells me he's the most underrated player in the league.

For some reason I thought the Draft Lottery was to be held last night. I kept wondering why I couldn't find any info on it. Turns out it's on Saturday. Go Oilers! Keep stockpiling those first overall picks and doing nothing with them!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Round 2 picks:

Tampa in 6 (maybe 7 given the Isles are already up one)
    Washington in 7 (no love for either team but Holtby has the edge over Murray at this point)

San Jose in 6 (by Thornton's Beard, could this be the Shark's year?)
    St. Louis in 7 (two very dangerous teams, but I think the Blues have a little more balance overall)
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    1. Not really playing over their heads. They had 100 pts in regular season and had winning records against both Florida and TB (though of course, limited sample size). AND The Isles play in a much more competitive division.
    Agreed. Florida had 47 wins and 35 losses in the regular season, Tampa 46 wins and 36 losses, and the Islanders 45 wins and 37 losses. Can hardly be considered an upset for the Islanders to beat either of those teams.

Understood. I'm a big believer in goaltending being a major differentiator in the playoffs. Everything else being equal, I will take a Luongo over a Greisse every time.

The eons are closing
    Every stellar goalie was a playoff rookie once. In Brodeur's first full season with Devils 93-94 (not counting his cup o coffee for 4 games two years prior), he almost single handedly got the Devils to the Cup. If it wasn't for the pact The Missing Link Messier made with Satan to get the Blueshirts over the hump....

Not that Greiss is Marty's class, but he is also not an NHL noob. And using your Luongo comparison, given Robert's recent playoff non-success, it should have at least been a 'push'.

Just a fanatic's perspective though! no worries. From my angle, this season is already a success!

In breaking local news, the owner of the Senators (Eugene Melnyk) has won a bid to develop a large tract of land just west of the downtown core. The development will feature a new NHL sized rink along with the usual other stuff - condos, retail, greenspace, etc. The fact the rink is so far out of town has been a major issue (apparently) since it opened in 1992. I think the rink is slated to open in 2021 roughly. I hope the CTC can hold up until then.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...eglected-flats

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    Not that I'm bragging, but I was 7-1 in my picks here. Only the surprising Islanders tripped me up.
    Along with the Caps, the Isles were the only other series winner I got right. I'll stick with them both moving on along with StL & Nashville. Caps - Blues finals.
    Caps-Pens just underway. The Great One predicts an unreal series.
    https://www.nhl.com/news/wayne-gretz...?tid=280202750
    I concur.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

From what I saw of the opening game (believe it or not I'd rather watch the NFL Draft) it looks like it's going to be a long, hard series... Whoever makes it through might leave everything they have in that series and could be ripe for the picking. Isles in the Finals?
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

The eons are closing
    Before the season started, the Hockey News called Tom Wilson the dirtiest player in the NHL (using his cheap shot on Visnovsky in last year's playoffs as the prime example) and now that completely unnecessary knee-on-knee on Conor Sheary just goes to prove that point.

No confidence in NHL disciplinary action anyway, so I am sure it will just be a 15 minute timeout in the corner so he can learn from his mistake

Caps' Tom Wilson fined $2,400 for knee hit to Pens' Conor Sheary
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Bruce Boudreau gets the axe in Anaheim. Couldn't win in the playoffs. Tough, tough conference the past few years.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Like I said, a 15 minute timeout

Sent from my OnePlus One awaiting a LuneOS port

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Like I said, a 15 minute timeout

Sent from my OnePlus One awaiting a LuneOS port
    Looking at the replay it's hard to tell if it was serious contact or just a Brady or Jeter move.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I find these fines for NHL players amusing. $2,400 to him is like fining me the cost of a Starbucks coffee.

So the Leafs have won the #1 overall draft pick. Geez from the reaction here, you'd think we'd have won Lord Stanley's Cup itself. The way I see it, this is nothing more than the consolation prize for sucking more than any other team this season.

The rebuild continues.

Go Bolts.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    So the Leafs have won the #1 overall draft pick. Geez from the reaction here, you'd think we'd have won Lord Stanley's Cup itself. The way I see it, this is nothing more than the consolation prize for sucking more than any other team this season.

The rebuild continues.
    I'm glad the team that did the worst gets the first pick (for the first time in what...6 years?)
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Given the overall lack of drama with this seemingly fairer method of conducting the lottery, maybe they won't bother to televise it next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    I'm glad the team that did the worst gets the first pick (for the first time in what...6 years?)
    My preference would be for all non-playoff teams to have an equal shot at the top-3 picks, with the restriction that a team can only have one top-3 pick in any 3-year period. Picks 4 through 14 could still be in reverse order of finish.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad to the Bone View Post
    My preference would be for all non-playoff teams to have an equal shot at the top-3 picks, with the restriction that a team can only have one top-3 pick in any 3-year period. Picks 4 through 14 could still be in reverse order of finish.
    My preference would be to ax the lottery system altogether.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

It's there to dissuade teams from tanking.