Page 214 of 403 FirstFirst ... 114164204210211212213214215216217218224264314 ... LastLast
Results 5,326 to 5,350 of 10054

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Bring on PITT!! <gulp>
    This will be the best series of 'em all. Predicting the winner (LGR!) goes on to win The Cup. Washington will fold again at some point.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

R.I.P. to Ed Snider, President and founder of the Philadelphia Flyers.

I didn't always agree with Mr. Snider's moves, but could never question his relentless desire to win. He brought hockey to Philadelphia, as well as the Philadelphia Spectrum, site of countless amazing hockey games and basketball games, in addition to concerts, etc. A legendary venue in every sense. He also brought us Prism, one of the original cable sports networks. A groundbreaking personality who truly lived life to the fullest.

After a prolonged battle with cancer, hopefully he was lucid enough to realize that his beloved Flyers made the playoffs this year.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Live shot from Penguins practice:

PITT DIVE.jpg

As anticipated, Ottawa's new GM fired the entire coaching staff this morning. Let's see that will be 8 coaches in the past 11 or 12 years. I've lost count and I'm too embarrassed for the team to look it up. Sigh.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Habs did not release a single coach despite finishing lower than Ottawa in the standings. I'm not sure whose approach is better. Bergevin was getting a little testy at the press conference yesterday. The Montreal press love you when you're winning but in this town everyone's a hockey expert so you'd better be ready for some tough questions/comments when the team misses the playoffs. If the Habs fall flat on their faces to begin the next season, Molson made fire the lot of them!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    As anticipated, Ottawa's new GM fired the entire coaching staff this morning. Let's see that will be 8 coaches in the past 11 or 12 years. I've lost count and I'm too embarrassed for the team to look it up. Sigh.
    Since Bryan Murray coached them to the Final in 2007 they've gone through John Paddock, Craig Hartsburg, Cory Clouston, Paul Maclean, and Cameron.

(Yeah, I had to look it up and couldn't remember Paddock or Hartsburg, neither of whom lasted an entire season.)

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    Lots of speculation in Boston that if Julien gets fired, he lands in Ottawa. I don't think that would be such a bad fit, Ottawa has some pieces in place and might benefit from "The System." He'd at least provide some stability. Montreal may be another possibility, but I don't think that would be as good a fit as Ottawa. Just a different playing style in Montreal.

Obviously he's not gone yet, but I think the Bruins are going to get younger next year by necessity, and I think that will be their justification for letting Julien go. I think he's a good coach, but hasn't proven willing to play the younger players, come what may (and in many cases I think they could have been better with the younger players, or at least just as good).

Bill

He coached in Montreal back in 2003 to 2006. We'll retread our coaches one at a time thank you very much. Right now we still have some tread on Therrien. Or maybe we're waiting for Vigneault to become available again?

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Picks:

Washington in 6
    Pitt in 7
    Florida in 7
    Detroit in 7

Dallas in 6
    St. Louis in 7
    Anaheim in 6
    San Jose in 6

It seemed logical to pick all the favorites but this is hockey afterall....
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Washington in 7 (Presuming Philly gives them as much trouble as I think they can)
    Pitt over Rangers in a competitive 6 games (Sorry, Eric, I will root for the Blueshirts though)
    Isles over Panthers in 6 (Picking the upset I guess)
    Tampa over Detroit in 6 (I have few coworkers who are big Wingnuts and they're good buddies but I think they're gonna be disappointed)

Chicago in 7 over St. Louis (Just guessing, because the Blues have been hot, but Chicago knows this time of year very well)
    Dallas in 5 over Minnesota (The Canes should've been in the West because they almost have just as much right to be here as Minnesota)
    LA over San Jose in 7 (I'll pull for LA, I like the Sharks too, but you can almost set your watch by their annual playoff flameout)
    Anaheim over Nashville in 6 (The Ducks have closed out pretty strong so why not . . . . . . )

Overall I will be surprised if the Cup doesn't go back East this year. The Caps have had a hell of a year and oughta be hungry, but . . . . . . .
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Washington in 6
    Rangers in 6
    Florida in 7
    Detroit in 7

Dallas in 5
    Chicago in 6
    Anaheim in 7
    San Jose in 6
    We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
    But only we are gifted with the eyes to see
    On days without FEAR, when our heads are clear
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

Caps in 5
    Pens in 6
    Panthers in 7
    Red Wings in 6

Stars in 5
    Blackhawks in 6
    Ducks in 5
    LA in 7

Caps in 5
    Rangers in 6
    Isles in 7
    Wings in 5
    Hawks in 5
    Stars in 6
    Kings in 6
    Ducks in 5
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Dallas in 6
    St. Louis in 6
    Nashville in 7
    San Jose in 7 (will I ever learn?)

Florida in 5
    Tampa Bay in 6
    Washington in 5
    Pittsburgh in 6
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.

Those of you who picked Rangers in 6 now expect them to win 4 of the next 5 games?

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Those of you who picked Rangers in 6 now expect them to win 4 of the next 5 games?
    Yes.

I had the game on in the room behind me, I thought I was listening to a caged MMA match with a fight every fifteen seconds and fans throwing shit out on the ice.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Yes.
    I suppose it could still occur....

The Sens told Luke Richardson that he would not be considered for the head coaching job in Ottawa as they will only hire someone with NHL head coaching experience. So Luke is out and looking elsewhere. My money is on Mike Yeo (ex. Wild) who is coaching Canada at the Worlds this year.

Totally embarrassed by the behavior of a bunch of idiotic Flyers fans the other night. Angry & frustrated at the whole thing.

Yes, it can be upsetting when your team is playing so poorly, but it's a gift that they even made it this far. They're far ahead of schedule.

The whole thing is very disappointing, and upsetting to watch, as a fan.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Flyers giving it everything they have but the Caps are just on another level. I expect that series to be the first one to end.

The Flyers don't have the talent to compete at this level yet. And the Caps are on a mission to at least get out of the first round, for a change.

I was happy to see a suspension handed to Andrew Shaw. I read about this this morning and was hoping the league would step in. Slurs of any kind should not be tolerated.

NEW YORK -- Chicago Blackhawks forward Andrew Shaw has been suspended for one game for making a homophobic slur during Game 4 of the team's first-round Stanley Cup Playoff series with the St. Louis Blues in Chicago on Tuesday, April 19, the National Hockey League announced today. Shaw has also been fined $5,000 for directing an inappropriate gesture at the on-ice officials during the same game. Shaw will also be required to undergo sensitivity training.

Both incidents took place at 17:56 of the third period. Shaw will miss Game 5 of the series on Thursday, April 21, in St. Louis.

"While Mr. Shaw was apologetic and remorseful for both the offensive comments and the inappropriate gesture directed at the on-ice officials, he must be held accountable for his actions," said NHL Senior Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell. "The emotion of the moment cannot and will not be a mitigating factor for the conduct that is expected of an NHL player."

The money goes to the Players' Emergency Assistance Fund.
    https://www.nhl.com/news/andrew-shaw...?tid=280202816

The eons are closing
    So if Campbell says emotions of the moment cannot mitigate expected conduct; then the 'holiday' that Keith got, as a three time headshot loser, is even more of a joke.

Apparently Shaw's homophobic slur is considered worse than this by the NHL:

Stalberg lost three teeth. Play on.