Page 213 of 402 FirstFirst ... 113163203209210211212213214215216217223263313 ... LastLast
Results 5,301 to 5,325 of 10029

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    LOL
    When its almost a generation since visiting the conference finals even, ya gotta get yer jollies from somewhere! x) lol

TBH, it is really more like a habit or tradition. My 'modern' venom is really for the Pens and Caps.
    By the way man, there are plans to open another brewery in Pearl River a little up the street from Defiant. I believe it will be called Gentle Giant oddly enough I will let you know when it happens if you're interested. You would pass Defiant on your right on Central and make the left at street light on Main St. It'll be right on the left side next to karate joint.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

is this not the first time that none of the Canadian teams fail to make the play-offs??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    is this not the first time that none of the Canadian teams fail to make the play-offs??
    The last time no Canadian teams were in the playoffs was 1970, but there were only two Canadian teams back then.

(And Montreal actually finished 5th overall in the 12-team league that year, but missed the playoffs because they were also only 5th in their division.)

Detroit at Boston tonight... our first playoff game?
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    By the way man, there are plans to open another brewery in Pearl River a little up the street from Defiant. I believe it will be called Gentle Giant oddly enough I will let you know when it happens if you're interested. You would pass Defiant on your right on Central and make the left at street light on Main St. It'll be right on the left side next to karate joint.
    I know where you are there....let me know for sure!
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Two playoffs spots. Three teams. One with two games left. It's gonna be a fun weekend race.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    Two playoffs spots. Three teams. One with two games left. It's gonna be a fun weekend race.
    Red Wings win and they are in. Shootout, tie or loss, then it is up in the air. This season has not ended up as I thought it would back in the first half of the season, but we need to keep the playoff string alive.

Red Wings 25 straight!

I'm very interested to see how long Claude Julien will remain coach of the Bruins if they fail to qualify for the playoffs. They dumped Peter Chiarelli after missing the playoffs last season, so it's gotta be the coach's fault this year. I will be fascinated to see whether Neely and Sweeney both survive next year, should they miss again.

Needless to say, I'm not a big Bruins fan these days.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

After losing 6-1 in a game that they had to win, everyone involved should be fired. That's a disgrace.

(This, coming from a fan of a team who lost to the Leafs while trying to make the playoffs).
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Flyers are in!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

FWIW, here's my take on the Bruins this year... they was never going anywhere. Anybody who really knows this team knew it would wind up being a tight call whether they'd make the playoffs, and it was a tight call. They overachieved for a while after the trade deadline, but they don't have the horses defensively to compete in playoff hockey. Had they made it, they'd have been one and done. So not making it is really no big deal if you look at it in the big picture.

As frustrating as it seems to lose 6-1 in a "must win" game, I don't think they should panic and can everybody. Sweeny is in his first year, and he was dealt a really difficult hand by Chiarealli. He could wind up being a really good GM, but he'll need more time to really tell. I'm OK letting Claude go if they have a plan for who they want to bring in. I think they need someone who's willing to work with the younger players. This teak is actually in rebuild mode, but certain long-term contracts make it hard to really just cut bait wholesale, so they don't look like a rebuild team. Chiarelli also gutted the farm system, so that is in rebuild mode as well. This is a multi-year process, and this was year one, perhaps two, of that process.

So, as a Bruins fan, I'm really not in a panic over this, and I don't think the team or the fanbase should be either. It may cost Claude his job, but Claude may not be the right coach to get this team to the next stage.

Bill

Habs finished the year pretty well. I think Therrien will be safe for another season. Pacioretty and Galchenyuk both scored a pair apiece yesterday to reach the 30-goal plateau. That was a nice thing to see in a season I have already forgotten.

So, do the Islanders lose on purpose today?

Win and they go up against red-hot Pittsburgh in round 1 and the winner of Washington/NY Rangers in the second round, if they advance.

A loss puts them in the much easier playoff bracket with Florida, Tampa, and Detroit.

I honestly believe that the players on the ice will play to the best of their abilities regardless of the outcome. If management makes the decision to throw the game, they can start the backup goalie, and rest guys like Tavares and Okposo, Leddy and Boychuk.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.

Well, the NHL season is over for me. Leafs finished in last place (perhaps not a bad thing) but the last month gave a lot of up and coming players some very important NHL experience.

Our AHL team, the Toronto Marlies, has secured a first place finish with 108 points and 51 wins with 4 regular season games still to go. They have set franchise records for most wins and most goals in a season and will go into the Calder Cup with home ice advantage for as long as they play.

All of this bodes very well for the future of the Leafs. I expect to see some major changes in the off season as seasoned players come back from injuries and surgeries, and younger players prove that they're ready to make the jump from AHL to NHL. Even though the team finished last, the last part of the season showed some excellent hockey, played with heart, as the young'uns tried to prove themselves. As one of the comentators said, "every game is a job interview". I expect the 2016/17 season to look very different.

So, Leafs out. Toronto Rock out. GO BLUE JAYS!

In the East I don't think FLA is getting the respect they deserve. Yes, PITT is hot as hell right now, but FLA is a solid team. Maybe you can argue their lack of playoff experience, but they are no easy win! That said...I hope the Isles play to win today

Not to mention, a series between NYI and PITT would be seriously fun to watch! Playoff games are so much more delightful when there's deep hatred!

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Playoff games are so much more delightful when there's deep hatred!
    +1

I will be watching the playoffs to see that kind of hockey - hard, tough play with no fights. Let's just say the regular season here in Ottawa didn't have a lot of highlights, except for watching the best defenseman in the world play 30 minutes a night and score a point a game.

Bring on PITT!! <gulp>

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    +1

Let's just say the regular season here in Ottawa didn't have a lot of highlights, except for watching the best defenseman in the world play 30 minutes a night and score a point a game.
    Phaneuf did that well in Ottawa?

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    I honestly believe that the players on the ice will play to the best of their abilities regardless of the outcome. If management makes the decision to throw the game, they can start the backup goalie, and rest guys like Tavares and Okposo, Leddy and Boychuk.
    That's pretty much how it went. None of those four guys dressed, and Thomas Greiss was pulled after one period (with the score tied 2-2) and replaced by some rookie named Chris Gibson playing his fourth career game.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Phaneuf did that well in Ottawa?
    Ottawa had to shut him down, so they didn't climb too high in the standings at the end. Looking forward to winning the lottery and drafting Matthews.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad to the Bone View Post
    That's pretty much how it went. None of those four guys dressed, and Thomas Greiss was pulled after one period (with the score tied 2-2) and replaced by some rookie named Chris Gibson playing his fourth career game.
    Why the hell didn't Bryan Murray return my calls? I would have made a great successor to him as Ottawa's GM.

In all seriousness, good luck to Bryan Murray who is doing remarkably well batting Stage 4 colon cancer. The new guy, Pierre Dorion, Jr., is a career hockey man that has some tough choices to make. I personally wouldn't let Dave Cameron go for a couple of reasons: he's the guy that coached them to a miracle 23-2-3 finish last season to make the playoffs on the final day of the regular season; and if Ottawa keeps turning over coaches, no one who's got any kind of resume will want to come to a perceived coaches graveyard. OTOH, I would let a couple of the assistants go - specifically the PP/PK and defensemen coaches (Jason Smith and André Tourigny). I would keep Rick Walmsley as I think he has a done a good job with the goalies in the system, but I would put him on a diet. He's gotten pudgy since his playing days.

I guess the wild-card in the coaching decision is the status of Luke Richardson. While they like the way he works with young players, he hasn't done a lot of winning since he started coaching the baby-Sens. If they do let Cameron go and Claude Julien is available, I can see him being hired. Montreal may be in the market for Julien as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    Well, the NHL season is over for me. Leafs finished in last place (perhaps not a bad thing) but the last month gave a lot of up and coming players some very important NHL experience.

Our AHL team, the Toronto Marlies, has secured a first place finish with 108 points and 51 wins with 4 regular season games still to go. They have set franchise records for most wins and most goals in a season and will go into the Calder Cup with home ice advantage for as long as they play.

All of this bodes very well for the future of the Leafs. I expect to see some major changes in the off season as seasoned players come back from injuries and surgeries, and younger players prove that they're ready to make the jump from AHL to NHL. Even though the team finished last, the last part of the season showed some excellent hockey, played with heart, as the young'uns tried to prove themselves. As one of the comentators said, "every game is a job interview". I expect the 2016/17 season to look very different.

So, Leafs out. Toronto Rock out. GO BLUE JAYS!
    Yeah it was the perfect season for the Leafs...they finished 30th, got rid of Phaneuf and Kessel's contracts, the team played hard every night, and we got to see some glimpses of the future...those magic Nylander hands, can't wait for this kid to (hopefully) make it.

Interesting fact for those that might not be aware: Brooks Laich assisted on William Nylander's very first NHL goal. He's also on the books with an assist on his dad's Mikael's very last NHL goal. Only in sports do these amazing things come up.

The Leafs will find a way to lose the lottery...Actually, I'll rephrase that by stating that the Oilers will find a way to WIN the lottery!