Page 207 of 403 FirstFirst ... 107157197203204205206207208209210211217257307 ... LastLast
Results 5,151 to 5,175 of 10055

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

As usual, a somewhat slower than expected trade deadline day. The big trades occurred either earlier in the season or over the prior weekend.

I can't believe how silent the Leafs were. I was expecting a few trades today. Nothing. They made some big roster changes today though, pulling some guys up from the AHL and sending a few guys down. It's an interesting situation because the Leafs are in the basement, but the Marlies are at the top of their division. How do you give guys experience in the NHL without ruining the team's chances in the AHL?

As I was hoping, Sparks will be starting in goal for the Leafs tonight.

I'm actually surprised that the Leafs brought up Nylander and the others. I thought they said "The Plan" was for them to have big seasons and a long playoff run in the AHL them bring them up at the start of next season. I wonder what changed.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    I'm actually surprised that the Leafs brought up Nylander and the others. I thought they said "The Plan" was for them to have big seasons and a long playoff run in the AHL them bring them up at the start of next season. I wonder what changed.
    They're running out of players! Traded the captain. Traded the goalie. Three key players (van Riemsdyk, Bozak and Lupul) out for the rest of the season. Somebody's gotta be on the ice.

I thought the Habs would be busier but since it wasn't a fire sale they may have been asking for too much. The Price injury looms large over this team's head. I believe that they believe that they have a lot of pieces in place already and getting their no 1 goalie back will go a long way towards being a better team. I'm of the opinion that Price's injury exposed the team's weaknesses. Let's see what the off-season brings...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I see that the teams for the World Cup were announced... Habs have got 4 players selected, but on 4 different teams.. I'm a little surprised that Subban did not make the cut this year. I'm not too crazy about Price playing in this tournament. Should be a fun tournament. Go Canada!

Like I said earlier in the thread, Subban has some negatives that he will have to work hard to eliminate. This should be a message to him, if he aspires to be a truly world-class defenseman.

On another subject, the Sens have scraped the bottom of the barrel, and brought Scott Gomez up from the AHL, where apparently, he had regained his scoring touch. We'll see. This guy has been a chronic under-performer for many years.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.

Give him a calendar year and he'll score a goal...

Good to see the scars have healed, Yves

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I see that the teams for the World Cup were announced... Habs have got 4 players selected, but on 4 different teams.. I'm a little surprised that Subban did not make the cut this year.
    These aren't the full rosters. Canada still has to name three more defencemen and four more forwards in (I think) June.

Should be a fun tournament.
    We'll see. The last World Cup (on the eve of the 2004 lockout) was a big joke. Everyone knew the lockout was coming and the tournament was thrown together as a last-minute cash grab for the NHL and NHLPA. The players treated the games as glorified exhibitions and competed with the intensity of the NHL All-Star game, and the NHL showed how much it thought of the tournament by introducing a new piece of crap plastic trophy which looked like it came from Dollarama.

I'd like to believe the tournament can return to the legitimate "best-on-best" competition it was in 1996 and in the Canada Cups before that, but the introduction of the "Young Stars" and "Team Euro" have it looking like more like an exhibition/All-Star format again.

I heard some talk on the radio that the NHL has a vested interest in making this a competitive tournament because they would love to stop participating in the Olympics. If they could establish this as an alternative (featuring the truly best players in the world), then they could orchestrate the timing, location (no Asian timezones), rules (no shootout to decide the gold?), officiating and probably more $$$. But you're right, with a team EURO and team U23, this is hardly an alternative to the Olympics where the emblem on your sweater is supposed to be all the inspiration you should need to play your heart out.

The international face of every team in the league will diminish the ferocity of competition of yesteryear ('72 Summit Series makes up my oldest hockey memories. We watched some games in class. I was in the 2nd grade.). I still hope there will incentive enough for the players to put forth a solide effort throughout the tournament.

The eons are closing
    No Okposo; no MudShark
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Lightning steamrollering along nicely. A small possibility of winning tonite and setting a new team win record ! The last time it was on their Stanly Cup winning season.....
    Oh, and tell Rinaldo to have his head checked out before someone does it for him ...

The eons are closing
    Ahhhhh...the sweet taste of blueshirt tears.
    Goes very well with a side of Cindy Crosby fail.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Ahhhhh...the sweet taste of blueshirt tears.
    Goes very well with a side of Cindy Crosby fail.

I watched the Pitt/NY game during commercials of TV. They looked like two sandlot teams playing a pick up game after school. They were sloppier than a baby sucking on a boob. The night before I watched the Caps/Ducks during commercials. The Caps should have destroyed the Ducks instead of winning on a shootout. They look like a methodical machine with every pass perfect and none lost. They look like a team on a mission versus what I saw last night. I think the Ducks had won eight straight and eleven at home.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Wow. More bad news for the Habs. Subban taken off the ice on a stretcher last night. I hope he's okay.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...jury-1.3486630

Sens got thumped in Florida last night, pretty well putting an end to any hope they had of making the post-season.

I guess the Scott Gomez era will not go down as a bright light in the team's history.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    They looked like two sandlot teams playing a pick up game after school.
    meh.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Don't let Shadow get to you. He knows as much about hockey as my left testicle. He's only here because the Caps are dominating the game right now. He doesn't have enough hockey IQ to know that the Caps will fold come playoff time. They have to. It's the playoffs, and they're the Washington Capitals. I'm sure Goodell speaks to Bettman, and knowing that Shadow might be a Caps fan is enough for the NHL to mobilize and make sure the Caps don't make it past the second round of the playoffs!

Now...how do we get Flacco on skates....

The eons are closing
    I don't worry about Shadow at all.

I learned a long time ago that his hockey knowledge is only matched by his well known objectivity when talking about the Ravens.

lol

Now I better be right about the Caps or I'll be eating crow... Maybe this is the year they actually make it to the top of the mountain and Ovi gets his name on the Cup!

Now I better be right about the Caps or I'll be eating crow... Maybe this is the year they actually make it to the top of the mountain and Ovi gets his name on the Cup!
    They'll get screwed in the playoffs just like the past couple years. Let me know what happens cause I'll only be watching on commercial breaks during reruns of Castle or Bones.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Finally, watching Philthadelphia vs. the Panthers.

Here's a story that made me chuckle...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ight-1.3485399