Page 199 of 403 FirstFirst ... 99149189195196197198199200201202203209249299 ... LastLast
Results 4,951 to 4,975 of 10059

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Rene Bourque is still in the NHL?
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

^^^There is life after Montreal, you know!
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Now there's a first... someone using a burning stick during a shootout attempt at the KHL All Star Game.

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    ^^^There is life after Montreal, you know!
    No doubt...Some would say life begins AFTER Montreal. I just don't recall seeing or hearing his name in a long while...

Nice UGLY win yesterday by Montreal last night.

Why the hell do the Rangers NEVER show up against the Senators?!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

^^^Except in the playoffs!

Only watched bits of the game (during the numerous commercials in the NFL broadcast). Looks like the Sens played a real shutdown game and had a lot of territorial advantage, even though the Rangers still were able to direct 35 shots on net. We'll take it!
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.

You give us too much credit with those 35 shots. Anderson could have turned around and made all those saves
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    You give us too much credit with those 35 shots. Anderson could have turned around and made all those saves
    No, that's Hammond that stops pucks with his butt.

The Cheeseburger could have shut out the Rangers on Sunday.

Habs lose 5-2 to CBJ... Nuff said! Time to make some changes on this line-up and possibly behind the bench. The natives are getting restless...

Some random thoughts I had when I was checking out the standings and reflecting on the season as we get ready to head into the all star break...

-If the playoffs were to begin today, Washington and Chicago would be the number one seeds and (to me) the clear favorites to reach the finals. Both teams have had moments of not-so greatness but those have been heavily outweighed by stretches where they've been lights out unstoppable. If this is indeed the final series we get this year I think it would be a helluva match-up.

-Is this season the low point for the NHL in Canada? Currently none of the seven franchises are in position to make the postseason and only three (Montreal, Ottawa, and Vancouver) appear to have a realistic shot of reversing their fortunes enough in the last 30 games or so to make the playoffs.

-To me the most intriguing teams heading into the break are Pittsburgh and Anaheim. Both teams have underachieved this season but would be the type of team that, if playing well, nobody would want to play in the postseason. If the Ducks, in particular, can score goals--ANY goals--they're the type of team that could make some noise after the break and into the playoffs.

-I would have included Nashville and Montreal in the list of 'most intriguing' but, to me, the fate of both teams this year is simple. For Nashville, Rinne has to step it up. I've seen him give up more soft goals this year than I can ever remember in all of his years of playing combined. Unless he gets better, and fast, Nashville is in real trouble. For the Habs, as has been mentioned many times here, they're simply a different team with Price in net. If he can come back healthy I think they can make a run and get into the playoffs. If not, I think the franchise may simply take a pass on this season and shut down Price for the year rather than have him return for a few meaningless games in late March and April.

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Habs lose 5-2 to CBJ... Nuff said! Time to make some changes on this line-up and possibly behind the bench. The natives are getting restless...
    It's hard to believe that this is the same Habs team that started the season with such strength.

You know what I find really interesting? Last season the Leafs sucked and Leafs fan were finally hitting the roof - throwing jerseys on the ice, games weren't selling out for the first time in decades, shit was hitting the fan. This year the Leafs are sitting in the basement and it doesn't look like they're getting out of it anytime soon, but the fans seem okay with that. I think that maybe everyone believes in the "rebuild".

When we were in this position last year, the fans were crying for someone's head to roll. I'm honestly surprised that the fans aren't crying for changes on the ice, if not behind the bench. I find the whole fan psychology very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    It's hard to believe that this is the same Habs team that started the season with such strength.

You know what I find really interesting? Last season the Leafs sucked and Leafs fan were finally hitting the roof - throwing jerseys on the ice, games weren't selling out for the first time in decades, shit was hitting the fan. This year the Leafs are sitting in the basement and it doesn't look like they're getting out of it anytime soon, but the fans seem okay with that. I think that maybe everyone believes in the "rebuild".

When we were in this position last year, the fans were crying for someone's head to roll. I'm honestly surprised that the fans aren't crying for changes on the ice, if not behind the bench. I find the whole fan psychology very interesting.
    Good post Esther. I think it's a matter of setting expectations and Shanahan has done a good job of that. Further, it's more than just saying we're going to rebuild. Going out and getting Babcock added a lot of strength to the party line. And when the fans can see that there's a plan and that it's starting to show in the product on the ice, they can live with the loses.

The Habs are weird. They win their first 9 in a row, Price gets hurt, they keep winning, then they start losing. Everyone's losing their minds to the point that Bergevin had to come out and say that Therrien's job is safe and it's all on him, if they they don't qualify for the playoffs. Mind you, expectations are always sky-high in Montreal.

Quote Originally Posted by Brave73 View Post
    Oh that is totally going on somebody's Facebook page! LMAO!

Last season was a strange one for the Leafs. The team had a winning record and was in a playoff position at the halfway point when the team just suddenly fired the coach for...no reason at all apparently. And then their second half record - pro-rated over a full season - would have ranked among the very worst seasons in league history. So I think it makes sense for some fan discontent there.

This year the team has made it clear they are committed to a patient, full rebuild, and already the team has won about twice as many games in a half season with Babcock as they did in the half season with Horachek last year.

The Habs will be joining the Leafs in the basement. They are probably playing the worse hockey of anyone in the East, or the entire league for that matter. I'm not even sure where to lay the blame. The forwards can't score, the defense is constantly coughing up the puck in their own end, and the goalies never seem to come up with the key saves in the critical moments.... Therrien will ultimately pay for this debacle. You could sense the fans discontent yesterday. Bergevin will start to feel the pressure and he'll be forced into action. This should be an interesting week in Montreal, with the Habs not scheduled to play until next Tuesday.

So who's the top goal scoring prospect available in next year's draft? I suddenly have an interest since the Habs will be part of the lottery this year...

So who's the top goal scoring prospect available in next year's draft? I suddenly have an interest since the Habs will be part of the lottery this year...
    Auston Matthews is considered the top prospect this year. He went to Switzerland this season to play professionally as a 17-year old rather than play a year of junior hockey and ranks among the Swiss league's leading scorers. Several scouts have speculated that he would have been chosen ahead of Jack Eichel if he was draft-eligible last year.

Finnish prospects Jesse Puljujarvi and Patrick Laine are generally considered the best of the rest. Puljujarvi, Laine, and Matthews finished first, third, and fourth in scoring at this year's world junior championship. (The second leading scorer was another Finn who is a year older and was already drafted last year.)

But don't get too excited; everybody knows Edmonton is going to win the lottery again!

Yeah, Matthews is going to go first overall, almost without question. As you can imagine, I'm pretty accustomed to following speculation regarding who the number one pick will be.

Nope. Wasn't intentional at all.

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

He surely didn't try to avoid him...

For the first time in years I think I'll actually watch the All-Star Game(s). Should be a fun format!

For the first time in years I think I'll actually watch the All-Star Game(s). Should be a fun format!
    They need a new format for the shooting accuracy competition to accommodate John Scott. Instead of requiring players to hit the four targets just require them to get four shots on goal!

I'll be curious to see who gets paired up with John Scott for the 3 on 3 games. He'll be representing the Habs. Who knows, maybe we have our sniper!

I'm curious to see if the Habs will be buyers or sellers at the trade deadline. Maybe they'll just stay put...