Page 186 of 403 FirstFirst ... 86136176182183184185186187188189190196236286 ... LastLast
Results 4,626 to 4,650 of 10054

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Will the real Montreal Canadiens please stand up?
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I'm hoping the real Oilers (at least the team that showed up in the 3rd) have finally stood up, though I think those types of wins are still going to be few and far between for them.

I did not see beyond the 1st period due to the late start to the game. It was 3-0 and I thought the Habs were going to sail to an easy victory. When I saw that they lost, in regulation, my jaw hit the ground. That's 9 goals in 2 games against Price. habs to need find a way to win against a weak Calgary team tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by oilersfan View Post
    I'm hoping the real Oilers (at least the team that showed up in the 3rd) have finally stood up, though I think those types of wins are still going to be few and far between for them.
    I'm still baffled that the Oilers haven't won 3 Stanley Cups yet with all the #1 draft picks they've had!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

The Oilers make baffling decisions, like letting Petry go last year when they were in need of solid defensemen.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    The Oilers make baffling decisions, like letting Petry go last year when they were in need of solid defensemen.
    Who knows how the new management would have handled this but there was no way Petry was going to re-up in Edmonton once he became a free agent, a fact he made pretty clear prior to the trade deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I'm still baffled that the Oilers haven't won 3 Stanley Cups yet with all the #1 draft picks they've had!
    Stanley Cups? Hell I'd be happy with a playoff appearance...

habs to need find a way to win against a weak Calgary team tonight.
    Flames/Sens was quite possibly the worst-played hockey game I've seen in years. If you like the puck rimmed around the boards all night, you will be in heaven.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Habs don't play that style though... I'm hoping for a boring one-sided Montreal victory.

Y'know, I was watching that game Thursday night (plus I have a pretty heavy fantasy stake in the Habs ), and I came away with the impression that all the Oilers need to do is step on the freakin' gas. Maybe that's not the everyday reality, but there was indeed a marked difference between the first two periods and the last.

McDavid is a hell of a talent for sure.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Habs must have eaten their Snickers bars yesterday,

Sens continue to struggle at home. It was a weird home-and-home series with Detroit. On Friday, Ottawa started their backup goalie and they won in Detroit. Saturday, the opposite occurred. Looks like Ottawa will be a bubble team until they either get hot or cold.

On the plus side, it looks like Bobby Ryan is starting to regain his scoring touch. He and Zibanijad are taking some of the pressure off the Turris-Stone line.

On the minus side, knucklehead Chris Neil takes a brutal goalie interference penalty, Detroit scores on the PP and they never lose the lead. Sooner or later, management is going to have to realize that he is hurting the team more than he is helping.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.

I've been watching hockey for 50+ years and I can't wait for the day that talent-less boneheads like Neil & Rinaldo are no longer part of the NHL. If the department of player safety or whatever they call themselves showed any consistency and actually had some balls, they'd legislate these guys right out of the league. Fighting's part of the game, unfortunately. But these vicious head shots have no place and serve no purpose in today's game.

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    I've been watching hockey for 50+ years and I can't wait for the day that talent-less boneheads like Neil & Rinaldo are no longer part of the NHL. If the department of player safety or whatever they call themselves showed any consistency and actually had some balls, they'd legislate these guys right out of the league. Fighting's part of the game, unfortunately. But these vicious head shots have no place and serve no purpose in today's game.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Stats show that fighting is on the decline. Not too many brawls this season. Teams need a 4th line with speed and a certain offensive punch these days. I point to my Montreal Canadiens and the production they are getting out of their 4th line as an example.

Price out for the next couple of games with a lower body injury ( 1 of only 2 official injuries in hockey). Condon stepped up last night.

Did you guys catch that quote from a disgruntled Leaf fan on the weekend? It's an absolute classic:

"When I die I want the Leafs to be my pallbearers so that they can let me down one last time"

We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
    But only we are gifted with the eyes to see
    On days without FEAR, when our heads are clear
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

Disappointed that the league gave Mark Stone 2 games for a head shot. The collision was in open ice and Stone had moved to avoid a hit from Luke Glendinning. Stone basically turned in such a way as to make contact with Ferraro's chin. Anyway, I thought 2 games for a first time offender on a play in which his intent was not malicious was too severe. Stupid league.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
    Did you guys catch that quote from a disgruntled Leaf fan on the weekend? It's an absolute classic:

"When I die I want the Leafs to be my pallbearers so that they can let me down one last time"

An oldie but a goodie!

I'll be at tomorrow's Leafs game against the Jets. Can't wait to see who they put in net. The Leafs have two wins and Reimer was the goalie for both wins, but they continue to play Bernier for some reason. And the Leafs called up Antoine Bibeau from the Marlies today on "an emergency basis" but nobody is saying why. Injury? Trade? I guess we'll find out tomorrow when the announce the starting goalie. Bibeau, BTW, has a way better record than Bernier this season!

EDIT: I see now that Bernier is injured and is day-to-day. Hopefully that means that Reimer gets the start and another win. I like the kid and I think he wasn't getting a fair shake with previous management. Hopefully, Babcock sees his potential and can build his confidence.
    Last edited by ForeverAutumn; 11-03-2015 at 10:36 PM.

Sadness in Edmonton with McDavid's shoulder injury vs the Flyers.

It's really not any fun these days being a Philly sports fan.

Hope McDavid is okay - he hit those boards hard.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    I'll be at tomorrow's Leafs game against the Jets.
    And I will be at Thursday's Sens/Jets game. Soften 'em up for us, OK?

BTW, Ottawa played another great road game in Montreal last night and grabbed the extra point in OT, sending the Habs to their first home-ice loss. Lookout NHL, the Habs are very strong this year. It's amazing how spare parts on other teams like Weise, Petry and now Paul Byron can come in and play so well. All they're missing is one more elite scorer to cement their PP and give them that dominant first line. We'll see if Bergeron can identify the right guy and pull the trigger on a trade.

I thought it was a well played game by both teams. Ottawa got short-changed on a quick whistle in the 3rd or this game would not have made it to OT. Both goalies were hot, but Anderson was hotter. He always plays out of his mind against the Habs.

I thought it was a well played game by both teams. Ottawa got short-changed on a quick whistle in the 3rd or this game would not have made it to OT. Both goalies were hot, but Anderson was hotter. He always plays out of his mind against the Habs.
    Not the first time Ottawa has suffered from a quick whistle at the Bell Centre.

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    And I will be at Thursday's Sens/Jets game. Soften 'em up for us, OK?
    I'll see what I can do LOL! My boy Reimer is in net, so I'm hopeful that he can pull in our third win. He played a fantastic game against Dallas on Monday making 43 saves!

That sucks about McDavid. Not a good way to start his NHL career. Hopefully, he's a quick healer.

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    Not the first time Ottawa has suffered from a quick whistle at the Bell Centre.
    Well ,yeah the Habs organization obviously pays off the fully qualified NHL refs to sway the game in favor of the Canadiens
    We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
    But only we are gifted with the eyes to see
    On days without FEAR, when our heads are clear
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)