Page 180 of 403 FirstFirst ... 80130170176177178179180181182183184190230280 ... LastLast
Results 4,476 to 4,500 of 10054

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Former Blues, Habs, Ducks, Sharks tough guy Todd Ewen checked himself out over the weekend. RIP. Sad.

http://www.sportsbreak.com/nhl/forme...utm_medium=cpc
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Yeah I read about that. A shame. I remember him knocking out the mighty Probert once.

Other than that sad news, It's so nice to be watching hockey again.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Get Your Poutine in Sunny Florida

Now available at Lightning games at Amalie Arena ! Poutine !
    The classic delicacy from Quebec is being served at Smoke's Poutinerie on the terrace level.
    http://www.tbo.com/news/education/li...tine-20150923/
    "We guarantee that it's under 20,000 calories. There's a diet version called 'Share it with a friend' , and the second fork is free." I believe this is going to be a big success, eh ?

Only problem is, I've never had a decent poutine outside Québec!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    The poutine at Tom Reid's Hockey City Pub in downtown St Paul is pretty damn good!

I'm surprised that poutine caught on outside Quebec. I never had one until the early 80s because I grew up in Ontario and it was a Quebec delicacy. The only true poutine involves fresh fries (not that frozen crap like at Mickie Ds), cheese curds so fresh they squeak when you chew them, and a BBQ gravy. Best served in a plate or a bowl, not a Styrofoam container. Adding pulled pork or whatnot isn't real poutine either. It's what I call "Tourist Poutine".

Now...back to hockey!

Mmmmmm. Poutine.

I agree with Yves, poutine MUST have cheese curds. Otherwise its just fries with cheese and gravy.

The best ones are made in rural Quebec, at roadside diners...If you're driving along a secondary highway in Quebec and spot a trailer converted into a kitchen, with a few picnic tables in front of it, pull your car over and go eat some of the best fast food you'll ever have! Independently owned, family-run places where you see the lady behind the grill literally making your burger patty by hand before throwing it on the flat top...

Anybody else hungry?

I have never eaten poutine.

My local here in Wichita hired a chef who lived in Canada for many years and he introduced poutine on the menu. GREAT fries (this place is known for them), cheese curds, and a rich brown gravy served in a deep bowl. We've had a few Canadians (other than myself...and I'm a transplant anyway) say that it is some of the best poutine they've ever had. Personally I think it's excellent.

The poutine was such a big hit that they've introduced a poutine burger--a half pound patty of Creekstone Farms ground beef cooked to order, served open faced on Texas toast, and covered in poutine. Freakin' incredible. It takes a few days off of your life when you eat this dish but it's OK--those would probably be really shitty days anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I have never eaten poutine.
    Me neither.

But now I have a craving for it.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I ate so many as a teenager ( ) that I rarely crave them these days.

Brian. it sounds to me like your man was French Canadian. English Canada just discovered the poutine about a decade ago, but they were invented in Victoriaville QC (debatable... and it's a huge debate here..) in the 1950s.

The eons are closing
    A hearty hello to my hockey brothers and sisters; and Klonk. :-)

BTW, watching Islander hockey at the Barclays Arena on TV sucks goatnads.
    As soon as the revamped Nassau Coliseum is done, I know the Isles will break the lease and go back. Only gotta wait 5 more years....<sigh>.

- Thomas
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Thomas!

Will the Isles be competitive this season?

The eons are closing
    IMO: the Isles will make the playoffs, maybe even a top 4 seed. But the Metropolitan is too tough; and as such, I don't think they will win the division.

The real issue is another "Matt Moulson" scenario with Kyle Okposo. As Kyle will be a UFA at the end of the year; and the Isles are still cheap, I think he will be traded real soon.
    And it will break my son's heart as Kyle is his fave player (jersey, poster, etc.)

- T
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    A hearty hello to my hockey brothers and sisters; and Klonk. :-)
    welcome back

I watched exactly 2 minutes of the Habs preseason game yesterday. They were tied 2-2 after 1 period, but outshot 15-3 ! Whatever... I have no use for pre-season of any sport.

I like preseason hockey. The young kids all competing for spots and seeing who may have futures in the NHL is fun for me.

But how many spots are there? The Habs might have 2 or 3 spots available...maybe.... I figure there is so much hockey to watch between the regular season + playoffs that I give my girlfriend a break and don't watch pre-season. I'll just watch the sports news the next day and get a 2-minute version of what transpired. Yesterday, Habs lost 4-3 in a shootout and Fleishmann, a prospect, scored the first goal. There. I'm up to date until tonight's game.

Ummm, there is no shootout anymore. They're using 3 on 3 in OT instead in the pre-season. See what you're missing???
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

If nobody scores on the 3 on 3 there's a shootout.

Glad you bring that up by the way. The 3 on 3 is a lot of fun! So far for me at least. All that open ice is great.

Ottawa beat Buffalo earlier this week 5-2 in regulation, but they still played 3 on 3 for up to 5 minutes. Ottawa scored on Buff within about 30 seconds. I think it's going to be another long season for the Sabres.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Yeah, the preseason games are fun, though I'm much more likely to *only* pay attention to the Oilers games rather than follow things league wide during the regular season. Like Scott said, I like getting a chance to see the prospects play, especially those that will have a chance to get called up to Edmonton during the season.

Brian, have you had the chance to check out any 3-3 yet? I like it! Yeah it's still a bit gimmicky, but at least they're playing against each other. So much open ice to show off skills. Poor goalies though

So Klonk started this thread on January 6, 2013 and it's now 180 pages long. We'll certainly hit 200+ pages this season. That's pretty cool. Let's keep this going until we break PE!