Page 17 of 402 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117 ... LastLast

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Lino
    Quote Originally Posted by Brave73 View Post
    I miss Jaroslav Halak...
    Pour quoi mon ami??? Kerry Price is the best goalie in the league right now. Most prognosticators are picking him to lead Team Canada in the Olympics next year. I know, Budaj wasn't great last night, but he'll only be giving Price a breather every once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
    Kessel gets off the shnide with a beautiful game winner last night in Winnipeg!
    Yep. Now he has half as many as Tom Sestito.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Yeah, Price has been great.

Rangers with a solid win against Wang's Wangs 19 year old JT Miller pots 2 and getting Callahan back was huge. We need Girardi back bad. That 3rd pair D is pretty scary and I'm worried all the minutes piling up on the top 2 pairs will burn 'em out.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Lino
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I'm worried all the minutes piling up on the top 2 pairs will burn 'em out.
    The Leafs top two have been gettin a shit-load of ice too. Wouldn't be so bad if it were Pronger and Lidstrom. But here's the funny thing...

This Toronto native kid Mike Kostka...who I don't ever remember hearing about even though I'm fairly familiar with the players' names on the farm team lol ... makes the team, at the age of 26, his first crack in the NHL, and he's playing great and leading the team in ice time, paired with cement-head Phaneuf. It's a great story. he's a funny guy, when he gets interviewed, he's not like your typical teenager rookie. He's one happy dude to be in the NHL, and seems totally relaxed and ready for it. I hope his bubble doesn't burst with teams getting to know his strengths and weaknesses...but man, waiting all these years to crack the NHL...and now he's logging 27 minutes sometimes! LOL

Lino
    correction: age 27

Quote Originally Posted by Brave73 View Post
    I miss Jaroslav Halak...
    Maybe in comparison to Budaj, but not compared to Price. Habs ultimately made the right decision, though I think they could have gotten more for Halak. Eller is more down than up.

I won't blame him for yesterday though. He held up his own despite the slew of penalties the Habs took and was 1.9 seconds away from the "W". Pin yesterday's loss on White; just like in Ottawa. Habs must have another guy they can plug into that 4th line that isn't such a fuckin' bonehead!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

What would hockey be without the meatheads?

The Blues appear to be returning to form....

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

...and the Lightning are returning to normality too, unfortunately.....

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
    Pour quoi mon ami??? Kerry Price is the best goalie in the league right now. Most prognosticators are picking him to lead Team Canada in the Olympics next year. I know, Budaj wasn't great last night, but he'll only be giving Price a breather every once in a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Maybe in comparison to Budaj, but not compared to Price. Habs ultimately made the right decision, though I think they could have gotten more for Halak. Eller is more down than up.
    Replying to both of you : my earlier comment about Halak had nothing to do whatsoever about the Habs (not rooting for that team, I'm a Blues guy! ), more about his injury forcing him to miss a week's worth of games with the Blues (and whom Brian Elliott, to which some fans appointed him the *true* #1 goalie for the team and the Blues' savior, has performed poorly the past two games... not the same show-stealer as he was last season.

I noticed that when Halak's on the bench, it pushed Elliott to play great and be a dominant player with the Blues. However, as was in evidence during the playoffs and the past few games, Elliott hasn't really been in top form...especially knowing the chances of being benched in favor of a rookie goalie who will be sent back to the AHL once Jaro is healed are quite slim.
    Last edited by Brave73; 02-08-2013 at 12:52 PM.

Brian Elliott has to be one of the most inconsistent goalies ever. It's not game-to-game, it's year-to-year or month-to-month. He had some unbelievable streaks when he was a Senator, but then he went cold and they let him walk. He had two pretty great seasons with the Blues, but if he's cold now, it could be a long time before he returns to his top form. Good luck! (BTW, I picked the Blues to win the Conference in our office pool, so believe me, I'm rooting for him!)

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    Brian Elliott has to be one of the most inconsistent goalies ever. It's not game-to-game, it's year-to-year or month-to-month. He had some unbelievable streaks when he was a Senator, but then he went cold and they let him walk. He had two pretty great seasons with the Blues, but if he's cold now, it could be a long time before he returns to his top form. Good luck! (BTW, I picked the Blues to win the Conference in our office pool, so believe me, I'm rooting for him!)
    You got me wondering wtf went wrong with recently traded ex-Bruin Tim Thomas.

http://bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/0...zfP/story.html

Thomas is on sabbatical. He's what? 38 years old? It's entirely possible that he won't play again, and if he does, it would only be in preparation for the Winter Olympics next year. The Islanders did the deal to get their cap to the floor, which was a bit of a problem given that Vishnusky (sp?) was still in Russia until yesterday. It's more of an accounting move than anything else. The CBA is weird in that he wasn't counting on Boston's cap because he was suspended. But with the trade, now he does count on the Islanders cap because he signed the contract when he was 35 years of age or older.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Goddamned shootouts just freakin' kill the Flyers!
    That's because they can't score for shit!! This is the worst Flyers team I've seen in 20 years. Night in and night out they display a lack of effort with zero sustained pressure in the offensive zone and crippling passing ability. Bryzgalov is the only highlight of the team and I wanted him gone before the season started. They need to trade for a scientist cause there's no chemistry in Philly.

Sincerely,

An Outraged Flyers Fan
    Get wise.........solarize !!

The eons are closing
    Laviolette tends to wear out the players with his personality. Might be entering that zone now
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Erogenous Zone View Post
    An Outraged Flyers Fan
    This will make you feel better: The Devils have only scored two goals more than the Flyers but have six more points and are three spots up in the standings.

So it's not just the fact that the Flyers aren't scoring; their defense sucks too!
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Best laugh I've had all day:

"Beantown Bruins have offered you a trade in the NHL Fantasy
    Hockey Teams: Ilya Bryzgalov for Tuukka Rask."
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

It's Hockey Day in Canada on CBC!

2:00pm - Edmonton Oilers vs. Detriot Red Wings (the odd team out because there are an odd number of Canadian teams).
    2:00pm - Winnipeg Jets vs. Ottawa Senators
    7:00pm - Montreal Canadiens vs. Toronto Maple Leafs
    10:00pm - Vancouver Canucks vs. Calgary Flames.

Plus lots of other stuff saluting the game. More info here, http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...id=DL|NHL|home

NHL Network has Penns / Devils @ 1

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Watching the Flyers/Carolina right now.

Caroline scored 17 secs into the game, and Flyers later tied it up.

Tied after 1st period.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

OUCH!

That was the worse game I've seen the Habs play in years! Just dreadful!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

OUCH!

Well, they did get 37 shots on net.

I am now owed four beers from the loudmouth Habs fan at work.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Mikail 'Chompy' Grabovski
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

OUCH!

Funny, I thought Ottawa's 1-0 loss to Winnipeg was their worst game in the past couple of years. Very sloppy play; pucks bouncing off sticks; missed passes; no cohesion in the attack or even the breakout.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    The (B)'s are off to their best start in franchise history.