Page 177 of 403 FirstFirst ... 77127167173174175176177178179180181187227277 ... LastLast
Results 4,401 to 4,425 of 10055

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

I'll be curious to see how that works out. Lamoriello is used to calling all his own shots.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Can't wait til Lou fires Babcock & names himself interim head coach with 12 assistants.

Seriously, I can't see Lou thriving with a boss between him and owner.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.

Lamoriello resigns from Devils, becomes Leafs GM
    Great news for Leafs fans! No team in the league has done a better job than the Devils in recent years when it comes to filling out the roster with expensive, aging, fading, past-their-prime 30-something veterans. Just what a rebuilding team needs!

Quote Originally Posted by Brad to the Bone View Post
    Great news for Leafs fans! No team in the league has done a better job than the Devils in recent years when it comes to filling out the roster with expensive, aging, fading, past-their-prime 30-something veterans. Just what a rebuilding team needs!
    LOL! My husband and I were discussing this last night. At 72-yrs-old, he's not in it for the long haul. Our guess was that this is more of a mentoring role that will last two to three years. Then an article that I read this morning seemed to confirm that...

Quote Originally Posted by The Toronto Star
    It’s not just that Lamoriello can help with here and now with signings and trades and relationships with other teams. It’s that he can mentor the entire front office — Shanahan included. The move also buys time for assistant GM Kyle Dubas, one of the brighter minds in hockey but at 28 is not ready for the GM’s chair just yet.

“He’s a young fellow who has tremendous ability,” Lamoriello said of Dubas. “If he doesn’t become a general manager here — I’m not going to be here for lifetime — it’s going to be his fault.”
    http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/...amoriello.html

I will say this...MLSE appears to finally be taking this team seriously. For a decade (at least) this team has sucked and MLSE has appeared to be entirely indifferent to the suckage because no matter how bad they were, the ACC still sold out every single game and the Leafs remained profitable. Last season was the first season in the history of the team playing at the ACC (16 years) that games did not sell out. Jerseys were thrown on the ice. The fans finally gave up and made it known that they weren't going to support the Leafs any more. And so, finally, MLSE has no choice but to take notice. They were being hit where it hurt...the bottom line. And now, it appears, that good things are being done to build a decent team. It started with Shanahan, continued with Kyle Dubas and a brand new philosophy, then Babcock, and now Lamoriello. This is a pretty damn good front office if egos don't get in the way. Now if they can get the right chemistry on the ice, this just might be team worth supporting again.

Hell, I'd be happy just to make the playoffs at this point!
    Last edited by ForeverAutumn; 07-24-2015 at 09:52 AM.

In other hockey news, it looks like the Coyotes may have deal to stay in Glendale (being voted on today). And Las Vegas and Quebec City may get franchises.

We were talking about the expansion at my Wednesday afternoon golf league and the consensus is that Bettman wasn't thrilled with the fact that there only two applicants and that they were who they were. Part of the rules this time round is that there is no timeframe on the League's part, so they might drag their feet until there is movement in the Pacific Northwest which is where they really want another team. In that case, they would add LV and either Seattle or Portland.

One of the guys in our league is the father of the 15'th overall pick in this year's draft - Zach Senyshyn - by the Bruins. He was obviously very proud of his son.

So the Habs ink Alex Semen() to a one-year deal. Great! The cup is ours!!
    We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
    But only we are gifted with the eyes to see
    On days without FEAR, when our heads are clear
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

Oh, forgot to say... FUCK BETTMAN, the fucking Pee Wee Herman of National Sports
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
    Your chuckle at Semen made me decide to post the following article here. I posted it on my FB page yesterday. It's a very badly written article which led me to LOL at the end.

http://www.letsgoleafs.com/2015/07/2...full-autonomy/

The Leafs shocked the hockey world yesterday when they he has it all. as the next general manager of the franchise.

For a team that had said publically they weren’t all that concerned about naming a GM to run the team, the move to hire the man who ran the New Jersey Devils for the past 28 years is a quantum leap of a departure from their original stance.

For the fans wondering what Lamoriello type of control he has in his new position, let’s just put it this way: he has it all.

Lamoriello confirmed that he only has to answer to one man on the job, team president Brendan Shanahan. All the other front office executives report to Lamoriello.

“I report to Brendan,” said Lamoriello. “And the other people report to me.”

Shanahan also confirmed that Lamoriello’s contract is for three-years, meaning this isn’t a one-and-done experiment if and ultimately when the team struggles in the near future.

Head coach Mike Babcock applauded the hire, and he’s excited to work with a general manager that has as much experience and hockey intelligence as Lamoriello has.

"Lou has been about winning," Babcock said. "Lou is a guy who has pushed himself to get better every single day.”

“I think a senior management guy joining our team, understanding what the vision and what the plan is, is a home run for all of us.”

So now that Lamoreillo’s in place, one has to wonder how if Lamoriello has the sudden urge to blow players like Dion Phaneuf, Joffrey Lupul and Tyler Bozak off the roster to construct the team in his image.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    Your chuckle at Semen made me decide to post the following article here. I posted it on my FB page yesterday. It's a very badly written article which led me to LOL at the end.

http://www.letsgoleafs.com/2015/07/2...full-autonomy/
    This should be a VERY interesting year for the Buds to say the least.
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    In other hockey news, it looks like the Coyotes may have deal to stay in Glendale (being voted on today). And Las Vegas and Quebec City may get franchises.
    They are bound and determined to shoot themselves in the foot with a team here in Vegas. I get they want to balance out the conferences but a team here will fly slightly less efficiently than a lead zeppelin.

It will get moved in five years, or less. Mark my words.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
    I am shocked that the Habs are willing to piss away $1M on this guy. I thought for sure he was going to be playing in the KHL next season.

Great article about the insanity of NHL blackouts and the new TV deal. It's Flyer-centric, but much of it applies to all fans.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Doesn't really apply to me. All 82 Habs games are available to me without pay-per-view. The NHL inked a huge deal for TV broadcasting in Canada that gives me more games than I ever care to watch, again without having to go the pay-per-view route.

Seems that Patrick Kane is in a heap o' trouble. A rape investigation??
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Seems that Patrick Kane is in a heap o' trouble. A rape investigation??
    Was just about to post-

http://www.aol.com/article/2015/08/0...d%3D1721282164
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

You'd never see Sid The Kid getting himself in sort of trouble...then again...I'm not sure he has a penis!

Yes, it's common knowledge that Sid owns a vagina.

Not good for Kane and the 'hawks! Pisses me off too mostly because its a source of pride that hockey players (not that they're angels) in general stay away from this kind of crap. Hope it's BS.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Not good for Kane and the 'hawks! Pisses me off too mostly because its a source of pride that hockey players (not that they're angels) in general stay away from this kind of crap. Hope it's BS.
    Good point

Hockey players, real ones, come from places like Flin Flon Manitoba, so there's no way they get involved in things like this because the sheep up there don't talk!

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Hockey players, real ones, come from places like Flin Flon Manitoba, so there's no way they get involved in things like this because the sheep up there don't talk!

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Exactly. Jamis Winston all over again?
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"