Page 171 of 402 FirstFirst ... 71121161167168169170171172173174175181221271 ... LastLast
Results 4,251 to 4,275 of 10040

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

In every sport, teams that cannot draw quality coaches or free agents because of their consistent losing ways, need to overpay to generate interest in their franchise. Trying to right the Toronto Maple Leafs organization should be a challenge any respectable head coach would want to undertake. That city's just waiting for a saviour...And, as Scott already pointed out, you get that extra month off!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Well this changes everything!

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/t...es-head-coach/

Quote Originally Posted by Yves
    That city's just waiting for a saviour...And, as Scott already pointed out, you get that extra month off!
    LOL! Lord help him if the Leafs don't make the 2016 playoffs! He'll be burned at the stake.

5 minutes later... It's official, I just got a text from my Maple Leafs mobile app. HOLY CRAP!
    Last edited by ForeverAutumn; 05-20-2015 at 02:26 PM.

Hubby and I were just having a conversation and here's how we think the negotiations went down...

Shanahan: Mike, we’d really like you to coach the Leafs. Here’s our offer... (slides folded piece of paper across the table).
    Babcock: Gee Shanny, that’s real tempting. And you know I’d much rather come to Toronto than Buffalo. But this just isn’t enough when I look at some of the crazy player contracts that you’re holding.
    Shanahan: I understand Mike. Maybe we can do a bit better. (Writes down new number, slides it across the table).
    Babcock: Okay, here’s the deal Shanny, since subtlety doesn’t seem to be working. I refuse to accept anything less than you are paying that useless pylon Phaneuf!
    Shanahan: I see what you’re saying. How’s this? Dion’s getting 7 years and 49 million. We’ll give you one more of everything. 8 years and 50 million. How’s that sound?
    Babcock: (rubbing his hands together a la Mr. Burns, and chuckling softly) Yeah, I can live with that. We have a deal.

Hahaha! That's great!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Shanahan slipped a folder across the table. Inside it said:

_______ years

$ __________ USD

Signature: ________________

He said: fill in what you want and sign it.

I must say here in Michigan most of the people I have talked to are bummed out about this. Although Babcock has always had to live in the shadow of Scotty Bowman he has always been well respected among the fans and I think most of us are sad to see him go. Picking Toronto, which is geographically the closest team to Detroit, should be interesting. Babcock has seemed frustrated the last few years, so I don’t think it is a huge surprise to anyone, but it still kind of sucks.

Right now speculation here seems to be that the current Grand Rapids Griffins coach is the front runner to fill the vacancy. He led the Griffs to the Calder Cup in the past and they are still in the hunt this year. He also developed a lot of the guys who are currently on the Red Wings roster, so already has a relationship with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I thought I heard last night that it was a done deal for Buffalo.

Journalism is a lost art these days.

)
    No doubt. The Detroit Free Press first reported earlier to day that he was definitely going to Buffalo.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    No doubt. The Detroit Free Press first reported earlier to day that he was definitely going to Buffalo.
    It should be "free" with reporting like that!

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

So....Henrik Lundqvist...
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Andrew Hammond got 3 years for 4M one way. I'm a bit surprised they sprung for 3 years, but obviously, that's what a career minor-leaguer is looking for. In baseball, they always say you can't have enough pitching. I'm not so sure that it translates to hockey and goalies.

So now Ottawa has a ton of goalies. I'm sure we can work something out here with the Rangers.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

6 to go...
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Ducks get 3 in 37 tics. Wow. Less than a minute after Chicago took a 2 goal lead in the 3rd.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Ducks get 3 in 37 tics. Wow. Less than a minute after Chicago took a 2 goal lead in the 3rd.
    Seriously? I'm watching it with just under 6 left in the second. Wow, that must be a wild ending. It's 3-1 ANA right now so that should be interesting.

ETA: Oops, I didn't realize that was two days ago. Missed that one.

Ok, is it just me or have there been way more too many men on the ice penalties? Something I've rarely seen yet it seems to have happened a lot in these playoffs. There was one game where both teams did it. So whats up with that?
    Last edited by TheLoony; 05-26-2015 at 04:15 AM.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Rangers Last Stand?
    I'll borrow this one from myself...

5 spot 3rd. Another Game 7 @ The Garden.

5 to go...

5 spot 3rd. Another Game 7 @ The Garden.

5 to go...
    Will the real New York Rangers please stand up?

Or Tampa Bay Lightning for that matter. They seem to take a game off when they're in a position to end a series. Bishop better play the game of his life or The Bolts season is over.

Hopefully the Rangers can pull off a 60 min. game like they played in the 3rd period. If we take this on Fri., the Steven Wilson show on Sat. will be so much sweeter!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

You'll miss Game 7 of the Ducks-Hawks game...which will decide the Stanley Cup!

So... I gotta ask....

Rangers' Last Stand?

Flip a coin, seriously. Who knows which version of each team is going to show up tonight...

The goalies will be the difference. Both have been hot and cold in this series. The one that shows up tonight could steal it for his team.

But... as I stated a few posts above, Saturday's game is for the Cup imo...

5 to go...
    Fore!....
    Congrats Tampa Bay.

Never a huge hockey fan, but I watched the 3rd period for old times sake (originally a NYC boy).

Just here to give a shout out to my friend Klonky and my sarcasm-free condolences to him.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Every once in awhile, if there is a God, he does right a wrong.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!