Page 168 of 404 FirstFirst ... 68118158164165166167168169170171172178218268 ... LastLast
Results 4,176 to 4,200 of 10077

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Okay, so my Maple Leafs might suck, but my Toronto Rock (NLL lacrosse) just clinched the top spot in the league for a first round bye and guaranteed home floor advantage for the duration of the playoffs.

I know nobody here cares, but it just made me extremely happy!

I've started a Gofundme account to raise funds to help buy Braden Holtby a helmet that actually fits. Apparently, his long, flowing Lundqvist-like mane is just too much for his regular lid to contain, so we're gonna try to get him one that will stay on his head. After that, we'll see about helping Backstrom get rid of that splinter.

Wish someone would start a gofundme account to get Ovechkin a private limo that takes him far away from D.C. the next 2 games...

11 to go.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

By the second round of the playoffs a team's weaknesses start to become apparent. The Habs' inability to score and their indiscipline are front and center after 2 games. Full marks to TB who just seem to have our number. I hope we avoid a sweep but hold out very little hope that we can pull this series off. It's as if our seasons were reversed from last year to this year.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    By the second round of the playoffs a team's weaknesses start to become apparent. The Habs' inability to score and their indiscipline are front and center after 2 games. Full marks to TB who just seem to have our number. I hope we avoid a sweep but hold out very little hope that we can pull this series off. It's as if our seasons were reversed from last year to this year.

Yup. We're done!
    We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
    But only we are gifted with the eyes to see
    On days without FEAR, when our heads are clear
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
    Yup. We're done!
    Habs fan Mike?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

So it's looking very much like there will be no Canadian teams in the 3rd round. Sigh.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

The eons are closing
    Well....

I could wax poetic about the Isles season but I am typing on a tablet. LOL
    Things were never the same for the Isles (or me) after that last Nassau game vs the blueshirts.
    Great f**king hockey game that was though.

Isles defence was already way too thin; but between injuries and Cap thuggery, we were a step away from hitting-up a random Timmy Hortons in Quebec to find a weekend player for the next game. Even then, the team was right there.

So I now root for the 'not-the-capitals' or 'not-the blueshirts' whichever team that ends up being :-) lol

All the best peeps!

- Thomas
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Either the Habs make a series of it tonight, or they can start preparing their golf clubs and reserve some tee times for the weekend!

your right about disipline, as subban killed them with that penalty right after montreal killed off 4 minutes of power play for tampa at the end of the first period. the late goal gave all the mo to tampa.

Man, I had no idea how frustratingly good the Caps are defensively...holy crap blockin' everything, deflecting everything and then there's Holtby who's been fantastic when we get opportunities. It's not over yet, but not lookin' good dammit. Bummer.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Which would be the bigger surprise: Bolts sweeping the Habs or Caps taking out the Blue Shirts in 5?! If the latter happens (or in 6, or in 7) it would make the rangers season a bigger disappointment than the Habs season.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Which would be the bigger surprise: Bolts sweeping the Habs or Caps taking out the Blue Shirts in 5?! If the latter happens (or in 6, or in 7) it would make the rangers season a bigger disappointment than the Habs season.
    I kinda of owe you an apology you contagious bad-faither!!!
    You were absolutely right in the Habs being crushed by that horrible Floridian (of all states.... fucking florida!!!! ) team...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Man, I had no idea how frustratingly good the Caps are defensively...holy crap blockin' everything, deflecting everything and then there's Holtby who's been fantastic when we get opportunities. It's not over yet, but not lookin' good dammit. Bummer.
    Two words: Barry Trotz. The Caps have bought into that style that the Preds used for years and they're executing that game plan to a T.

Quote Originally Posted by oilersfan View Post
    Two words: Barry Trotz. The Caps have bought into that style that the Preds used for years and they're executing that game plan to a T.
    You beat me to it. Trotz even has Ovechkin playing a little more responsibly this year. I think they always had some strong two way players but for whatever reason, never bought into whatever the coach was selling until this year. They've had a lot of coaching changes since OV got there, I am not pointing the finger squarely at him, but there was some badness in the dressing room until now. Mike Green is also a bit of a coach killer. Trotz has had him playing in the 3rd pair for much of this year.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.

What a tough ending to Game 3 last night. I got home late from golf and caught the last 3 minutes or so. The Bolts kept coming at them. And then a missed assignment in front of the net with 1 second left on the clock. So even though Stamkos isn't dominating, the diminutive Tyler Johnson is.

Habs have got a psychological wall in front of them and they just can't get over it. Last night's game was possibly their best effort of the entire playoffs but in the end, the Bolts capitalized on the few chances they had and put the game away. If Tampa scores first tonight, the Habs will fold up and start thinking about booking some tee times for the weekend. It will be a somewhat disappointing end to a great season, but it also brings into the forefront the team's glaring weaknesses.

Hmmmm, seems we're still stuck on 11 to go...
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Rangers badly miss Zuccarello. Funny how the absence of the smallest guy on the roster leaves the largest hole.

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    Funny how the absence of the smallest guy on the roster leaves the largest hole.
    Sort of like when Yanks passed away.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Sacre Bleu! It's 2-0 for the Habs!! Plenty of time left to BLOW IT!!!!!!!!!
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
    Sacre Bleu! It's 2-0 for the Habs!! Plenty of time left to BLOW IT!!!!!!!!!
    3-0 with plenty of time for Bolts to come back.

Fark!! Somebody slap me, it's 5-0!!
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

Holy crap. It was 3-0. I left the room for, like, 3 minutes and suddenly it was 5-1!

They're going to have to really out-suck themselves to lose this one. And they're off...
    5-1

Edit- 17 ticks into the 3rd and it's 5-2
    Last edited by Obscured; 05-07-2015 at 09:13 PM.