Page 166 of 402 FirstFirst ... 66116156162163164165166167168169170176216266 ... LastLast
Results 4,126 to 4,150 of 10029

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

No, I predict that we jump back up to 4-3 !
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

THANK FUCKING GOD KEVIN LOWE IS NO LONGER MAKING HOCKEY DECISIONS IN EDMONTON!!!

http://www.tsn.ca/chiarelli-the-new-...onton-1.265198

I'm a big fan of Peter Chiarelli (not just because he's from a very prominent Ottawa family). I think he will do a good job in Oil town.

First things first - clean house, big time. Replace everyone from the old regime and start anew.

Job #2, trade some forwards for a legit #1 goalie and/or #1 and #2 defencemen.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Stan, let me be the first person to congratulate the Sens on their history-making 4 game comeback in this series. Good luck in the next round!

Habs are DONE!

In other news, I'm sick of hearing how Price is the best goalie in the NHL when he's not even the best goalie in this series!

How does it work now for the next round? Is it by division or by conference ranking? Is it a forgone conclusion that the Rangers will play the winner of the Caps-Isles series while the winner of the Bolts-Wings will play the Sens?
    Last edited by Yves; 04-25-2015 at 07:24 AM.

Blues coaster hits a new low, I'm ready to cut the chord on Hitchcock

I made the mistake of switching into a Blues jersey after the Cardinals win, (watched both on DVR), only to have the early AM ruined after a great Friday night party

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Stan, let me be the first person to congratulate the Sens on their history-making 4 game comeback in this series. Good luck in the next round!

Habs are DONE!

In other news, I'm sick of hearing how Price is the best goalie in the NHL when he's not even the best goalie in this series!

How does it work now for the next round? Is it by division or by conference ranking? Is it a forgone conclusion that the Rangers will play the winner of the Caps-Isles series while the winner of the Bolts-Wings will play the Sens?
    Hey, the Habs still only have to win one of two. I called the Sens in 7, but I didn't figure they'd lose the first three. I do like their chances of taking it to a game 7, but then it's a coin flip.

Price definitely looked beatable last night and Anderson was, well Anderson. He's either supernova or not so good. Montreal came out like a house on fire and had some good scoring chances early, but Anderson stoned them. He stopped another breakaway and there was a great chance by Galchenyuk from in close. I thought the Sens did a good job of jamming the front of the net again, because that's the only way to beat Price. Ottawa has been doing a little better job of clearing the front of the net than the Habs in the past two games.

Wasn't fussy on the spear by Prust, but it was into Anderson's chest protector so no harm done.

Clark MacArthur left the game with a lower body injury. That would be a big loss as he is on the top line and has scored a couple so far. None of the backups have his offensive skill. I'm guessing it would be David Legwand drawing back in if Mac can't play.

After the Rangers won their game, the announcers indicated that the Rangers were now waiting for the winner of the Isles/Caps series. So I believe you are correct that round 2 is divisional. Wikipedia confirms this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Stanley_Cup_playoffs
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.

Yes. Rangers play winner of Isles/Caps.

Penguins played their balls off, especially Fleury. The guy was incredible in net. Series was 4-1, but felt like 4-3. Regardless, good to get some much needed days off to rest up some banged up bodies and hopefully see the return of Kevin Kline. That will be HUGE.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I don't usually like to gloat, but as a Rangers fan who hates the Penguins, it makes me happy to see stats like this:

Crosby 5 games 2 goals 2 asst 4 points +1
    Malkin 5 games 0 goals 0 asst 0 points -1

I know their defense was depleted, but your stars have got to step up at crunch time and these guys just didn't/couldn't.

And why is Maxim Lapierre not in Philly? A prototypical Flyer if there ever was one.

Anderson played into Prust's tactics there. Prust was outside his crease but in his face (where the Habs should have a guy permanently). Anderson jabbed him, Prust jabbed back. It should have ended there but Anderson jabbed a second time and Prust kinda lost his head a little after. I get the feeling that the next game will be a chippy affair because the Habs are squarely feeling the pressure now. Unless the Habs can get an early lead and force the Sens to play a little catch up, the Sens will prevail. They just want it more. They're playing inspired hockey and I hope the Habs will steal a page from their book for game 6.

...Sens will prevail. They just want it more. They're playing inspired hockey and I hope the Habs will steal a page from their book for game 6.
    I have to get this off my chest. I've been a fan of the Sens since they rejoined the league in 1992. There were some pretty dark days at the beginning, and some missteps in coming up from the bottom (Dagle, Bonk, etc.). They made the playoffs for the first time in 1997 and became an elite team with the blossoming of players like Alfredsson and later Spezza and briefly, Heatley. They won the President's Trophy one year and made it to the Cup Finals in 2007.

But even when they had very talented teams and were winning playoff series, they never had that intangible inner strength. There were those horrible losses to the less talented but more determined Leafs teams and screwups against teams like the Sabres.

This year's team isn't as talented as some of those previous teams. They are second lowest in salary in the league. They have 6 rookies and 9 players 25 and under. Their oldest and most experienced players are hurt or watching from the press box. But this year's team has more of that inner strength - that unwillingness to give in - that I've never seen in Ottawa before. They have done well and if they should lose to the Habs it will be no disgrace (a little prog reference, heh!). It's been an incredible run since mid-February. I admit that I had written them off before they went on that amazing run with Hammond in the nets. So they have made an otherwise shitty winter, what with the weather and having been out of work since last summer (starting a new contract on Monday!) a little easier to bear.

Enjoy the playoffs, everyone. It's when you get to see what's really inside the players.

12 to go...

Missed the first 3 periods due to being at the great U.K. concert. But, after leaving the venue checked my phone and saw we just started O.T. There happened to be some great looking bar a block or two east of the venue I stumbled upon. Watched through the window outside on a barstool set up with direct view of their massive (120"?) screen and caught the winning goal alongside another 20 or so folks, mostly from the concert too. Good times!
    NEXT!
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

I am starting to believe that the Red Wings can actually win this series.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I am starting to believe that the Red Wings can actually win this series.
    And to the people who jumped all over Babcock for not starting Jimmy Howard.........
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by gryphs also View Post
    And to the people who jumped all over Babcock for not starting Jimmy Howard.........
    Marazek is the future. He won his very first professional game in the U.S. while playing for the Toledo Walleye in the ECHL against our own Kalamazoo Wings. He then played in Grand Rapids (just north of me) in the AHL and led them to the Calder Cup. He is the real deal, but of course does not have the experience of Howard. It was a risk to start him, but it looks like it is paying off.

PE Member since 7/14/2001 rushfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    Blues coaster hits a new low, I'm ready to cut the chord on Hitchcock

I made the mistake of switching into a Blues jersey after the Cardinals win, (watched both on DVR), only to have the early AM ruined after a great Friday night party

BG
    I've been thinking about this too, but I also think many of the players are to blame as well. The only Blue who seemed to make a difference in this series was Tarasenko. Compare that to seasons past and it seemed like the same players seem to come up empty.

Habs are DONE!

Anderson played into Prust's tactics there. Prust was outside his crease but in his face (where the Habs should have a guy permanently). Anderson jabbed him, Prust jabbed back. It should have ended there but Anderson jabbed a second time and Prust kinda lost his head a little after. I get the feeling that the next game will be a chippy affair because the Habs are squarely feeling the pressure now. Unless the Habs can get an early lead and force the Sens to play a little catch up, the Sens will prevail. They just want it more. They're playing inspired hockey and I hope the Habs will steal a page from their book for game 6.
    you man of so little (and bad) faith....

I don't know if you're superstitious, but you've been dissing the Habs all seasons, saying just how flukey they are and they didn't deserve themselves

I'd have expected the Jets to give the ucks a better fight, though.

Too bad for the Canucks as well
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Hugues, I live in Montréal. All you hear about is the Habs 12 months out of the year. I watched at least 75 of their games before the playoffs this season. There is even a reality TV show called 24 CH which follows the team for the entire season. I know what I am talking about concerning this team. I report what I see. The Habs cannot score. Last night they grinded it out, holding on to a one goal lead for 2 and a half periods. You cannot make it to the finals playing that style. If Detroit prevails the Habs have a shot. If the Lightning prevails, it will be very difficult for Montreal to prevail because Tampa Bay can counter Montreal's speed and they have better goal scorers.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

I'd have expected the Jets to give the ucks a better fight, though.
    With the exception of game four I would argue they gave them a helluva fight.

Hugues, I live in Montréal. All you hear about is the Habs 12 months out of the year. I watched at least 75 of their games before the playoffs this season. There is even a reality TV show called 24 CH which follows the team for the entire season. I know what I am talking about concerning this team. I report what I see. The Habs cannot score. Last night they grinded it out, holding on to a one goal lead for 2 and a half periods. You cannot make it to the finals playing that style. If Detroit prevails the Habs have a shot. If the Lightning prevails, it will be very difficult for Montreal to prevail because Tampa Bay can counter Montreal's speed and they have better goal scorers.
    The Sens were robbed of a goal by a ref's whistle that should not have been blown. It was a bad call and everyone knew it. But such is the game of hockey. Would that goal have changed the outcome of the game? The series? We'll never know.

In the long run, I suspect it won't matter much as I don't see the Habs or the Sens walking away with the cup.

Yeah, that was a fast whistle for sure. It probably would have pushed the game into OT where anything could have happened.

Here's the video for anyone who missed it. It was a heartbreaker for Ottawa fans I'm sure. But as I said earlier, I think it just sped up the inevitable.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...235701377.html

I'd agree that their +32 goal diff is not among the best for their second rank in the Eastern conference (and whole league) and in terms of goal scored, they're midway through the ranking, but they've got the best defence - one of only two teams to be under 200 goals taken... I mean, the Habs didn't get to #2 during the seasons by being lucky, right?? oK, we'll see how they handle the win or die pressure, but I'd say the same for all the other teams still in the running.

So I'm not putting your science in doubt (mine is relatively weak and diluted, since I only see weekly reviews -when I don't forget to watch it - of the NHL from across the ocean), but you seem so defeatist (in your writing, at least) instead of being 100% overly optimist.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    you seem so defeatist (in your writing, at least)
    In other words Yves, "you sound like a Leafs fan".

I'm a little bummed out, but that's hockey. Ottawa didn't play well enough to win in Game 6 and the Habs did. So congrats to them (and their fans). To be honest, I can't see any of the other remaining teams getting past the Rangers. I think they are the class of the East.