Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Can't say that I am thrilled the Red Wings drew the Lightning in the first round. With the exception of their last game, the Lightning have had the Red Wings number this year.

I may be wrong, but I think that everyone in North America that's not in Pittsburgh will be cheering for the Rangers. I'm not comfortable with this .
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I may be wrong, but I think that everyone in North America that's not in Pittsburgh will be cheering for the Rangers. I'm not comfortable with this .
    I feel so dirty.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

So do I! I enjoy the hatred coming my way. Makes me feel more at ease.

Maybe not so much cheering as predicting a fast series. The Pens have got no D to stop the Rangers forwards. Probably the biggest no-brainer of the opening round. I predict a sweep! (How's that for jinxing ya?!)
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Oh no, dude, believe me, it's cheering. I know of nobody in all my circles of hockey outside off Pitt that pull for them. If we make it to the next round...different story. And I will be more in my comfort zone

You just better hope and pray one of your D doesn't trip a player into Price again.

What about my member? rottersclub's Avatar
    Here are my picks (not very confident about some, especially in the West):

OTT in 7
    TBL in 6
    NYR in 5
    WSH in 6

MIN in 7
    CHI in 6
    ANA in 6
    VAN in 7
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after hes smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Sad news - Sens' assistant coach Mark Reeds passed away today losing a two year battle with cancer.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after hes smashed it with a hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    You just better hope and pray one of your D doesn't trip a player into Price again.
    uhh... yeah... because we know when you get tripped from behind going forward your skates automatically end up in the air, in front of you, so you can plow into the goalie... We'll agree to disagree on that one!

Tokarski will not win a series for us, so going after Price should be Ottawa's strategy. This series scares me a little but it might be the wake-up the Habs need.

That settles it! I've GOT to visit Montreal!

http://mentalfloss.com/article/63114...now-bacon-form
    No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media, and our religious and charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful. - Kurt Vonnegut

Ron Hextall has a press conference today to announce that he's not firing Craig Berube. At least, not today.

I'll be in the corner, pulling my hair out, if you need me.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    That settles it! I've GOT to visit Montreal!

http://mentalfloss.com/article/63114...now-bacon-form
    LOL!

I don't know why Canadian bacon is called that as I don't know a single restaurant that serves it up here!

It starts tonight baby!

The playoffs? THE PLAYOFFS??!! Are you kidding me?! The playoffs?! Don't talk to me about the playoffs!

I can't believe Cam Neely fired Peter Chiarelli. What an asshole and what a shitty organization the Bruins are. Sorry but the guy won a Cup and had them in the finals two years ago? I'm sure the guy they get to replace him is going to fall far short.

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    Sad news - Sens' assistant coach Mark Reeds passed away today losing a two year battle with cancer.
    That sucks. Reed was the head coach of the minor league Kalamazoo Wings here in my hometown for several years and seemed to be very well liked by everyone. He led the team to a UHL championship in 2006, and made it to the finals the next year in 2007. I never personally met him, but he had a great reputation around town as a really talented coach and an all around nice guy.

I got the impression that Reeds was one of those guys who was maybe too nice (soft spoken) to be successful as a head coach in the NHL. But he was very popular in Ottawa as an assistant coach and I think the players enjoyed his kinder, gentler approach to hockey in contrast to bad, old Paul MacLean. He left the team for treatment in late February just as they were starting to go on that amazing roll that took them to the playoffs.

Maybe I was naive thinking the Habs/Sens series would be fairly tame. PK Subban must have OD'ed on Sudafed because he was mental tonight. He high-sticked Pageau and for some reason the linesman overruled the ref's initial call. Later, he took a pretty wicked two hander to Stone's wrist. He got 5 and a game and the league should take a look to determine if supplemental discipline is warranted. There was also a butt end to Zibanejad's clavical area, but there was no harm done.

Anyway, the Habs won 4-3 and were full value for it. Their fourth line was fantastic and as I feared, Ottawa's second line did not pull their weight. I still think the play of Zibanejad/Ryan/Michalek will determine the winner.
    Last edited by rottersclub; 04-16-2015 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Brain fart on second line players

Oh man, O.T., night one. Hockey Lords are good; and an exciting one in Nashville so far. B'Hawks swarming. Preds swarming. Loving this action.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Maybe I was naive thinking the Habs/Sens series would be fairly tame. PK Subban must have OD'ed on Sudafed because he was mental tonight. He high-sticked Pageau and for some reason the linesman overruled the ref's initial call. Later, he took a pretty wicked two hander to Stone's wrist. He got 5 and a game and the league should take a look to determine if supplemental discipline is warranted. There was also a butt end to Zibanejad's clavical area, but there was no harm done.

Anyway, the Habs won 4-3 and were full value for it. Their fourth line was fantastic and as I feared, Ottawa's second line did not pull their weight. I still think the play of Zibanejad/Ryan/Stone will determine the winner.
    The slash was definitely a penalty but I didn't think it warranted a major and a game misconduct. Stone (?) was back on the ice within a couple of shifts but when it happened he went down like he'd been shot. The officiating seemed one-sided throughout the game as Gallagher was being repeatedly mugged well beyond just clearing him from the front of the net, and guys were allowed to get away with it. Anywho..it was a crazy good game! Habs depth ended up being the difference. I also got the impression that the Sens might have been a little gassed by the 3rd period.

Yves, Stone isn't that kind of a player. There's absolutely no prior history of any embellishment. He may have come back but he could hardly hold on to his stick. I think he kept going back to get more freezing. I think it was a pretty bad slash and to do it for no apparent reason while you are already down a man? Beyond dumb. Habs definitely were the better team and Hammond let in a couple that he had been stopping during the regular season (the wraparound and Flynn's net charge).

So maybe it's a double-minor. Subban didn't aim to hit the guy in an exposed area, it's just one of those plays. Players get slashed in front of the net during a PP all the time. Had Subban laid him out with a check in the back, an elbow to the head, or slashed him in the face, or some other premeditated play with an intent to injure, the yes, give him a major and a game. But an unlucky slash during a PK? I thought it was beyond harsh. I have to wonder if he didn't shoot his mouth off too much after the play and that's what did him in. As for that high-stick that got called back, I think it was bcause he touched the puck first so the play was whistled dead. I didn't understand that one myself... I'll agree that he does have to tone it down because he was a hindrance to his team yesterday.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=7...d=nhl:topheads

Here it is in case some did not see it. I don't dispute that it's a punishable offense, merely the severity of the punishment. By the time Subban's stick connects with Stone, Subban isn't even looking at him, but rather up the ice. Maybe I'm just biased?

The Kalamazoo Wings posted this on their Facebook page today:

"During the playoffs, the Kalamazoo Wings will honor the memory of former head coach, Mark Reeds by wearing a red decal bearing his initials (MR) in white. Reeds, who passed away earlier this week, coached the K-Wings from 2003-2007. During that time he led the K-Wings to their last championship (2005-06)."

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=7...d=nhl:topheads

Here it is in case some did not see it. I don't dispute that it's a punishable offense, merely the severity of the punishment. By the time Subban's stick connects with Stone, Subban isn't even looking at him, but rather up the ice. Maybe I'm just biased?
    A Habs fan? Biased? Nah, couldn't be.

Yves, I have to laugh. Every time a Hab goes down, 20,000 people get their panties in a knot.

Subban won't be further punished.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/746854

Stone is questionable for the rest of the series. He has a microfracture of the wrist.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/746902

Red Wings stole one tonight, but a win is a win.