Page 161 of 402 FirstFirst ... 61111151157158159160161162163164165171211261 ... LastLast
Results 4,001 to 4,025 of 10029

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Loving that the Penguins may not make the playoffs.
    Indeed! It would be awesome to see BOTH the Penguins and Flyers out!!
    We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
    But only we are gifted with the eyes to see
    On days without FEAR, when our heads are clear
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

If I had to pick one team that I thought was going to win the cup as of this moment, I'd sadly have to say the Rangers.

FARK!
    We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
    But only we are gifted with the eyes to see
    On days without FEAR, when our heads are clear
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

Yeah, the Blue Shirts or the Ducks...

If the playoffs started now, the Habs would square off against the Pens. I like the match-up. Though if Pacioretty is out, we may have a tough time scoring goals...

As some of you know, I only came back to the hockey fold in 2008. Before that I spent 14 seasons where I did not watch the sport. I was not a Habs fan back then so I had never owned a single piece of Habs apparel. I changed that over the weekend by ordering a Brendan Gallagher home sweater, just in time for the playoffs! (Chinese knock off, of course... )
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
    Indeed! It would be awesome to see BOTH the Penguins and Flyers out!!
    HEY!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    (Chinese knock off, of course... )
    As Brian Griffin would say, that's the only way to go.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Congratulations, 2014-2015 NHL President's Trophy Winner!!!!
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Awesome comeback from an 0-3 deficit. Unfortunately, the Sens can't seal the deal in regulation, so the Pens get a precious point. Nothing is settled, but I think the Red Wings are in. Next up, the President's Trophy winners. Hopefully they will all be hung over on Thursday night.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

That point they allowed the Pens to hang on to may be the one that knocks the Sens out....

There are some interesting races going on in both conferences but as far as my team is concerned the playoffs couldn't begin soon enough...

There are some interesting races going on in both conferences ...
    Kings just about done after losing to the Oilers last night. The Flames and Jets can both clinch spots by winning one of their two remaining games. And they play each other on the last day of the season, so if either of them wins and clinches a spot in game 81 they could then deliberately throw game 82 to knock the Kings out.

I'd like to see as many Canadian cities represented in the playoffs as possible.

That point they allowed the Pens to hang on to may be the one that knocks the Sens out....
    Totally agree. You know you had a really shitty first half season when you go 18-1-2 down the stretch and your probability of making the playoffs is around 20%.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.

What doesn't help is the 3-point games. You become red hot while other teams fall to .500, but they manage to get garbage points now and again and you just can't pass them. They really need to change that! As I stated before, bring back the TIE!

What doesn't help is the 3-point games. You become red hot while other teams fall to .500, but they manage to get garbage points now and again and you just can't pass them. They really need to change that! As I stated before, bring back the TIE!
    F that. Forget points altogether and just track wins and losses. Why give anything for overtime? Is that some sort of accomplishment? If you get to overtime and lose, why is that rewarded?

It's a compensation for playing an extra 5 minutes + shoot out. I believe it's something the NHLPA lobbied at the time. They should have made it half a point for a tie and then the full 2nd point for the OT win.

They should have made it half a point for a tie and then the full 2nd point for the OT win.
    NOOOOO!!!!!!

If nobody wins in overtime, they should have the Capt. from each team compete in a Rock em Sock em Robot match. There is no better way as far as I'm concerned.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    If nobody wins in overtime, they should have the Capt. from each team compete in a Rock em Sock em Robot match. There is no better way as far as I'm concerned.
    That's fine. Just don't give the loser a point.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    F that. Forget points altogether and just track wins and losses. Why give anything for overtime? Is that some sort of accomplishment? If you get to overtime and lose, why is that rewarded?
    When 4-on-4 overtime and the "loser point" were introduced back in 1999 the stated purpose was to reduce the number of ties. The league believed that teams were playing an ultra-conservative defensive style in overtime (i.e. "playing not to lose") rather than taking chances on offense and "going for the win". The guaranteed point was supposed to encourage risk-taking in the overtime period.

Instead the exact opposite thing happened. Teams went into the tight defensive shell in the third period of tied games and the first few years of 4-on-4 overtime actually resulted in record numbers of ties. So then came the shootout in 2005. Therefore no more ties, and thus the sole stated purpose of the bonus point no longer exists. Except by that time the league had figured out that the loser point also helps bad teams remain in the playoff hunt longer, and allows teams with a 35-47 record to pretend they were still "a .500 team". At least when talking to fans who are bad at math.

So like you, I hate it, but don't see it ever going away. We're more likely to see 3 points for a regulation time win instead.

At least it all goes away for the playoffs, thank God.

Jimmy Fallon pokes fun at NHLer's photos:

So Brian, (assuming you're here), Keegan Lowe made the lineup for the Canes for the first time tonight vs Philly.

He celebrated by getting into two fights with Lecavalier.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

I was at that game.

Blech. What a mess.

So we will have a new Stanley Cup champion this year...the Kings are done.

Quote Originally Posted by Reginod View Post
    So Brian, (assuming you're here), Keegan Lowe made the lineup for the Canes for the first time tonight vs Philly.

He celebrated by getting into two fights with Lecavalier.

Thanks to the Rangers for well, you know, not trying too hard. I'm sure they would rather face the Sens than the Pens or the Bs in the first round. With Boston losing tonight, the Sens are in the driver's seat to take the final playoff berth in the East. If they beat the Flyers on Saturday, they're in.

I'd like to see as many Canadian cities represented in the playoffs as possible.
    hurray for the Jets... and indeed, the Sens are almost in... though I'm not sure I like it to be at the Bruins' expenses (choking heavily, uh!!)
    I'd prefer the Pens out of there >> which is still do-able despite the Pens having a game in hand

As for the debate of the 3-pts victory, it's now in force in all European football (soccer) leagues for at least 10 years... It certainly did not stop the ties/draws from happening. I always hated the overtime loss or overtime wins >> they should count for less than a regular time wins. But I really disapprove of the shootout wins/loss deal.

We'd have to see at a new pts deal , where a game is worth three points in all cases - or even better with four. imagine this:
    regular time win: 4pts
    OT Win: 3 pts
    tie/draw: 2 pts each
    OT Loss : 1 pt
    regular loss: 0 pt
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.