Page 154 of 402 FirstFirst ... 54104144150151152153154155156157158164204254 ... LastLast
Results 3,826 to 3,850 of 10029

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Wow...that's a big one! Toronto is most certainly going to blow things up soon too.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Ottawa will try to unload some of their veteran players before the trade deadline, but there isn't much interest in any of them except Chris Neil and he has said that he doesn't want to leave. He's only getting around 5 minutes ice time per game, so the Sens are trying to motivate him to agree to a trade. Others that are available and are all under contract next year include: Chris Phillips, David Legwand and Colin Greening. In the maybe category are: Zack Smith (currently injured), Milan Michalek, and Erik Condra.

The one interesting piece is Marc Methot. He has played well since missing the first half of the season with back issues. He is a UFA this year and wants Brooks Orpik type money ($5.5M/year for 5 - 7 years). Ottawa doesn't like the money or the term so they may have to trade him off as a rental to a playoff bound team.

So even though a thorough blowing up is in order, I doubt there will be many changes this season.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

So who's got the advantage in that deal? I'm thinking Winnipeg unloaded a problem for them and got a lot of compensation for him. Buffalo is hoping he'll change his 'tude? Losing 2 out of every 3 games will not give one a better attitude.

I'm looking forward to the trade deadline because the Habs are a team that will be on the hunt, not being fleeced. As always, we need some goal scoring punch.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

If Kane straightens up I think the Sabres clearly get the better of that deal. Kane undeniably has talent and Bogosian has become a 20+ minute blueliner and is clearly having his best NHL season. It also probably helps that Kane is out for 4-6 months, to be honest, to let a little of the circus that has surrounded him die down a bit. The Jets get a couple of decent players too but there's more upside for the Sabres in that trade IMO.

The Sabres made another deal today, shipping Jhonas Enroth to Dallas for Anders Lindback and a pick...

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/bu...roth-to-stars/

I like the Sabres end of the deal, I think it will be a wake up call for Kane

The Note on NBC Sports tonight vs the Lightning, looking forward

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

I think the Jets won the deal if only because they were able to get a ton in return for a guy who could never play in Winnipeg again. They even got Buffalo to pick up half of Drew Stafford's salary! When Dany Heatley demanded a trade from Ottawa a few years ago and after he killed a deal that would have brought 3 decent players over from Edmonton, the best they could get from San Jose was Milan Michalek, Jonathan Cheechoo and a second rounder. This was for one of the top scoring wingers in the game at the time. Other teams usually recognize that they are in a position of strength when a team has a problem player that must be moved. I'm afraid that Tim Murray over-paid.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.

Cheechoo ...talk about a one hit wonder!

I think both teams made out well. If I had to give an edge I may side with Buffalo only because of the disappointing Tyler Meyers.

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    When Dany Heatley demanded a trade from Ottawa a few years ago and after he killed
    Using Heatly and "killed" in the same sentence probably isn't the best choice!

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Cheechoo ...talk about a one hit wonder!
    Quite possibly the worst skater I've seen in the NHL in the past 40 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post

BG
    Heh

I read that and had the same thought.

There's an interesting article in today's Globe and Mail about rebuilding the Leafs. If this is all true then I'm hopeful for the future of the team. I think that Shanahan just might be the guy to pull it off, if anyone can. But then again...we've heard it all before. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle22938348/

Good lord...Not even five minutes in and the Leafs are down 2-0. Why do they even bother getting on the ice any more? It's golf season somewhere.

Habs drop another to a bottom feeder team. I think we are now 0-5 vs the Oilers and Sabres combined. Tokarski is not the answer as our back-up goalie. He played a couple of good games in last year's playoffs and the Habs jettisoned Budaj. I hope we have another back-up coming up the pipes because we all know that come playoff time opponents(couchcoughRangerscoughcough) will charge the net to take Price out.

What you meant to say, Yves, was that you hope you have another back-up up the pipes because you all know that come playoff time Alexei Emelin will (as usual) get toasted and resort to tripping that player who toasted him into his own goalie, taking him out.

if tyler myers can take the final step and become chara like then jets win for sure. i know hes 25 but you never know big guys develop slower maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    What you meant to say, Yves, was that you hope you have another back-up up the pipes because you all know that come playoff time Alexei Emelin will (as usual) get toasted and resort to tripping that player who toasted him into his own goalie, taking him out.
    Don't get me started on Emelin! THE player on the Habs that I loathe! We're supposed to be so deep on D, why is he still in our starting 6?

Prob has a lot to do with him being the most physical presence on the blue line?

He's physical in a "cheap shot" kind of way.. He's careless with the puck and takes the stupidest penalties at the worse times. I think that certain guys like Tinordi are not up to where the Habs thought they would be or else Emelin would be gone. On the plus side, he knows how to get Lucic riled up!

Happy Hockey Day In Canada to my fellow hockey-loving Canucks today! 13.5 hours of hockey stuff on TV today. This is why Canada needs another hockey team. To even out the numbers so that we don't have to pull in an American team for all the Canadian teams to play today.

It's been an interesting broadcast so far, including some discussion on the origins of hockey, lots of little vignettes about famous hockey players, and of course highlighting some kids in hockey across the country. And some things that I'll never be able to unsee...like Theo Fluery singing in a band. LOL! I look forward Hockey Day in Canada each year. It's always a well-done celebration of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Globe and Mail
    Hockey-mad Canadians will celebrate their true love on Saturday, February 14 as one of the year's most anticipated televised events returns, "Hockey Day in Canada". Canada’s unofficial hockey holiday is headlined by a 13.5-hour national broadcast featuring all seven Canadian NHL teams in action. It all begins at 2 pm ET with the Edmonton Oilers in Ottawa to take on the Senators. That is followed at 7 pm ET when one of the longest running Original Six rivalries is renewed as the Montreal Canadiens play host to the Toronto Maple Leafs. The Winnipeg Jets are in Detroit to face the Red Wings. The day concludes with the Calgary Flames hosting the Vancouver Canucks at 10 pm ET.
    Sadly, I'll have to miss the Leafs/Habs game tonight as we have lacrosse tickets and game time is 7:00 for both games. But unlike the Leafs, the Rock have a chance of winning. It's a home and home weekend against the Minnesota Swarm, who they killed 16-4 in Minnesota last night, setting a Rock club record for least goals scored against in any one game. Outstanding!

In the US it looks like satellite and cable systems are giving up free center ice for the next 5 days

Oilers / Sens @ 2PM EST before a valentines night date, hopefully followed by more hockey

BG

In the US it looks like satellite and cable systems are giving up free center ice for the next 5 days.
    Thanks for the heads up! I'll be home in a few; Rangers not on till 8. Hopefully catch something before and maybe a West Coaster afterward.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Man, it must really suck for Olli Jokinen to be traded from the first place Predators to the Leafs. I actually feel bad for the guy. I don't think he's planning on getting too comfortable in Toronto...rumour is that he'll be traded again before the deadline.

Nice move for Franson and Santorelli though, from the Leafs up to the Predators. I'll bet they were doing a happy dance. I wasn't surprised to see Franson go since he refused to sign a new contract with the Leafs unless they agreed to his higher salary demands.

Also, it pains me to say this, but I may jump on the Habs bandwagon early this year. I'll watch the Leafs trade and rebuild with interest, but I've given up on them for the season. I have tickets for the Feb. 26th game against Philly. Good thing I bought them back in October because I likely wouldn't be paying for them today.

On the bright side, the Toronto Rock are at the top of the standings with a 6-1 record so far this season, after a home and home sweep against Minnesota this past weekend.

Just an update on the sorry state of things in Ottawa these days. Knuckles Neil broke his thumb on some guy's face on the weekend, so he's not going anywhere. Chris Phillips has a bad back so he's not going anywhere. Craig Anderson hurt his thumb a few weeks ago and still can't hold onto his stick, so he's not going anywhere. Marc Methot settled for just under $5M/year for 4 years, so he's not going anywhere. So much for the big blow up.

With Methot signed and 8 defencemen under contract, it looks like the odd men out are Patrick Weircioch and/or Jared Cowen. Neither has progressed much in the past year or two. Perhaps a change of scenery will do them good.