Page 14 of 402 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Lino
    I knew the Isles would be really good this year Thomas. Toooo much young talent not to get better.

Leafs get a big win...Matt Frattin (called up after Lupol's injury) got his 4th goal over all, and second game winner in a row.
    Oppertunity knocked and he answered. I just hope he can keep it up. With some good antler spray, Lupol could be back sooner, then watch out! Leafs 4-3 record achieved without a single goal by Phil Kessel. Tho I have to admit, he's working his ass off and getting TONS of good chances. Noivert (sp) ROBBED him twice last night and he nailed a crossbar too. When the flood gates open, he's gonna tear it up.

The Islanders can score goals at will! It's just that usually the other team scores more Seriously... a good goalie and maybe one or two solid stay at home defense men, this team could be deadly.

I wish the friggin' Rangers would score goals. The boys are lookin' pretty bad this year so far. Hopefully they just still have to shake off cobwebs because I'm getting a little nervous! Last night they looked like they were skating in mud. And by the way, Sidney Crosby without a doubt, no question about it, has a vagina. Man, I'm not a conspiracy theorist by any stretch, but it's really sickening what this kid gets away with on the ice!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Lino
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    And by the way, Sidney Crosby without a doubt, no question about it, has a vagina.

Scott, I wouldn't worry. Rangers can play play-off style hockey. Some teams (coughLEAFScough) cannot. They got skill, size, goaltending and a fired up coach. These players tasted play-off success last year and when that happens, they tend to immediately start to kinda downplay the regular season in anticipation of another run. They'll be there when it counts.

Yeah, they said that about the NY Giants this year, too.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Lino
    hahahaha...not me....you can only dip in to that well so often. I could see the Giants were just not there no matter how many people told me daily "watch out for the Giants if they get in..." The hunger was gone for the two-time champs. Rangers haven't sipped from the cup yet...

The eons are closing
    Rangers haven't sipped from the cup yet...
    Hopefully never again in my lifetime either....

Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Lino
    Once a lifetime is enough eh??? I was 8 when the Leafs won. I still remember it: I was watching from the living room floor with the whole family. Fell asleep. My older brothers were harassing me to wake up. When I managed to...Davey Keon was accepting the Conn Smythe. So I caught the first period or so, and then the tail end of the on-ice celebrations.

Just incase there are people that don't know, I can guarantee you this: if and when the Leafs get good again...go on a deep play-off run...maybe win the cup... the fan madness will be unparalleled in sports history, I'm telling you. I just hope it happens in my life time.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Hopefully never again in my lifetime either....

Cheers!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post

Scott, I wouldn't worry. Rangers can play play-off style hockey. Some teams (coughLEAFScough) cannot. They got skill, size, goaltending and a fired up coach. These players tasted play-off success last year and when that happens, they tend to immediately start to kinda downplay the regular season in anticipation of another run. They'll be there when it counts.
    I hear ya buddy. I know they're a good team. It's taking a little longer than I hoped though when it comes to chemistry with new players. We lost some serious meat n potato guys to get Nash. No worries...yet. Just a little nervous.

Mudshark and scottbails can lick my raisins.

The eons are closing
    @ Prune Boy...err Klonker....
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Going to see my first Rangers game in a number of years on Sat nite in Tampa. There are always a good number of Rangers faithful in attendance. Should be a fun night & I'm looking forward to getting my first look at Nash in person. It looks like Henrik might be sitting this one out though, which is disappointing, but I'm just hoping for a good showing by the boys.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Mudshark and scottbails can lick my raisins.

Can't say I've ever heard that one!

Banned
    I don't normally follow Hockey but I was looking to going to a Flyers game next week, my first ever Hockey game - did I misread something when I saw the lowest face value of tickets is like $80+???

No, you probably didn't miss anything. Hockey tickets aren't a cheap venture - especially for a team that traditionally sells out every game.

If you have the money, I suggest you go. Live hockey is the best event in sports, IMO.

Banned
    damn- thought I'd be able to go there day-of-show, get a ticket at the box office for $20 or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
    Once a lifetime is enough eh??? I was 8 when the Leafs won. I still remember it: I was watching from the living room floor with the whole family. Fell asleep. My older brothers were harassing me to wake up. When I managed to...Davey Keon was accepting the Conn Smythe. So I caught the first period or so, and then the tail end of the on-ice celebrations.

Just incase there are people that don't know, I can guarantee you this: if and when the Leafs get good again...go on a deep play-off run...maybe win the cup... the fan madness will be unparalleled in sports history, I'm telling you. I just hope it happens in my life time.
    Since that win:

Montreal Canadiens:

1968, 1969, 1971, 1973, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1986, 1993

That's 10 Stanley Cups. Almost as many as the Leafs have won in their entire history. The Leafs are one colossal joke! Sorriest franchise in North American sports. So you can have a hate-on for the Habs all you like, but this is a class franchise. Last year they finished at their lowest, but look at the transformation already occurring. Because unlike in Toronto, hockey here isn't about the bottom line. The fans in Toronto get treated like shit by the Leafs organization. In Montreal, they'd have blow up the Bell Centre if the team ever slipped down to the level that the Leafs have wallowed in for 46 years. Fuck me! No Leaf fan under 50 can REMEMBER the last time the Leafs won the cup! That blows my fuckin mind!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Since that win:

Montreal Canadiens:

1968, 1969, 1971, 1973, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1986, 1993

That's 10 Stanley Cups. Almost as many as the Leafs have won in their entire history. The Leafs are one colossal joke! Sorriest franchise in North American sports. So you can have a hate-on for the Habs all you like, but this is a class franchise. Last year they finished at their lowest, but look at the transformation already occurring. Because unlike in Toronto, hockey here isn't about the bottom line. The fans in Toronto get treated like shit by the Leafs organization. In Montreal, they'd have blow up the Bell Centre if the team ever slipped down to the level that the Leafs have wallowed in for 46 years. Fuck me! No Leaf fan under 50 can REMEMBER the last time the Leafs won the cup! That blows my fuckin mind!
    I love to hate the Habs because it's a fun rivalry to play up. I have many friends who are Habs fans and it's become a game of it's own to outdo the other with good natured insults. We enjoy getting together to watch the two teams play each other. It's always a fun evenining no matter who wins. Do I really hate the Habs? Of course not. They're just a sports team. If they're good enough to win the cup, then they've likely worked hard for it and deserve it. Do I wish it were the Leafs? Fucking right I do!

I can't really disagree with anything that you say Yves. The ACC is sold out every game. Personally, I don't get it. When the Blue Jays started sucking after their World Series wins, they couldn't give tickets away. Now the club is building a team that has them set as a World Series favourite in Vegas. Yet Leaf fans show up day after losing day. So why should the team spend money and bite into the bottom line? Winning isn't going to increase their profit. They're probably already at the top of their ROI potential. It's a trend started with Harold Ballard and nobody's bothered to take the initiative to want to change it.

The best thing that could happen for the Leafs, I think, is for another team to be awarded to Ontario. If the new team were better, it would force the Leafs to change their ways or suffer a slow and painful death as allegiances changed.

Having said all of that...GO LEAFS GO!
    Last edited by ForeverAutumn; 02-02-2013 at 10:32 AM.

Since that win:

Sorriest franchise in North American sports.
    Not even close.

Ever hear of the Chicago Cubs?

Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    damn- thought I'd be able to go there day-of-show, get a ticket at the box office for $20 or something.
    That only works in Glendale, Sunrise, Columbus, Raleigh, ...

Here in Ottawa, they have a section in the top bowl, where you can 4 tickets, 4 hot dogs and 4 sodas for $100. OTOH, the best seats are around $150 - $175. $80 seems high for the cheapest seats, but come to think of it, I paid $75 or $80 each for just OK seats (lower bowl, but behind the net) in Phoenix last year. I think we will be seeing Phoenix and Edmonton in a few weeks in Glendale. Woo hoo!

Seriously, for $20, perhaps the Phantoms (AHL) might be a good choice.

No Leaf fan under 50 can REMEMBER the last time the Leafs won the cup! That blows my fuckin mind!
    No one under ~85 can remember the last time the Ottawa Senators won the Cup (1927, I think).

The Cubs were the only other team I could think of on the same level...

I grew up in Toronto. I wore my Borje Salming replica shirt with pride, and my Leafs pyjamas, toque, mittens.....Those were the Ballard years and the Leafs sucked! They got good for a short while in the early 90s, but there's no reason for a team residing in hockey's largest market to suck so bad every year. I don't even hate the Leafs because that would mean I respect the franchise. My mom is the biggest Leafs fan around and I hope they can win one before she passes on...

NHL Network has the Devils / Penguins at 1 EST today - should be good to watch with some prog on a Saturday afternoon

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Habs are playing the Sabres at 2:00PM today and the Sens tomorrow afternoon at 2:00PM. For some bizarre reason, it has become a SB weekend tradition for them to play 2 afternoon home games.

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    No one under ~85 can remember the last time the Ottawa Senators won the Cup (1927, I think).
    True, but the Sens had a 60 year break.