Page 149 of 402 FirstFirst ... 4999139145146147148149150151152153159199249 ... LastLast
Results 3,701 to 3,725 of 10029

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

The eons are closing
    I know. As I mentioned earlier this season, just raising the goalie/D quality to a B(-) would be enough to get the isles in.
    Its awesome, but we have not won a playoff series since '93 so yeah...I am a little gunshy.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I guess I can understand the negativity, but dude, your team is damn good...this is no fluke. I said it earlier in the year, the acquiring of Boychuk and Leddy were gonna be huge. And then with Halak I remember saying, "UH OH" Isles have had no probs offensively the last few years. It was all defense and goaltending...props to Garth for getting it right.

I love it, man...this is so great for NY hockey

Rangers hopefully got back on track with a win in Colombus tonight.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

So we have the Hockey Night in Canada feed

Apparently there is a show on your TV called "Shitz Creek"?

Wow

: )

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

It's a Canadian sitcom from Eugene Levy and his son and co-stars Catherine O'Hara. We can say the F-word on TV here too.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    It's a Canadian sitcom from Eugene Levy and his son and co-stars Catherine O'Hara. We can say the F-word on TV here too.
    Outstanding!

They are, only words, after all

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Highly entertaining game between the Habs and Isles last night. 10 goals! (6-4 Habs...yay!). These teams kind of mirror each other and this would make a great playoff confrontation.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

As unimpressive as a 3-0 W could possibly be for the Note

Leafs outshot us bigtime in period one and had more opportunities but couldn't convert

We were lucky, could have been a different game if they'd scored first

BG

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    could have been a different game if they'd scored first

BG
    Or scored at all.

26 seconds in, Nash scores. Smart move for Pitt not to start their #1 line against ours.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Oh Captain, My Captain

One of the things that I don't like in the NHL is the way some teams name their captains. I first noticed it when Washington named Ovechkin captain when in my mind, he was the worst possible choice. I would have selected a guy like Brooks Laich over OV in a heartbeat. I guess you can go back further to when the Pens named Crosby their captain when he was was 20 or 21 years old. Here in Ottawa, the two most recent captains have been the two most skilled players on the team. But neither was a good choice and I think teams are more likely to succeed if the captain is 1) a heart and soul kind of player, not the highest scorer; and 2) a guy who can communicate with his teammates, coaches, management, the media and the fans.

Here is the current list from Wikipedia:

Team
    Captain
    Captain Since
    Alternate Captains

Anaheim Ducks
    Ryan Getzlaf 2010 - Francois Beauchemin/Corey Perry

Arizona Coyotes
    Shane Doan 2003 - Martin Hanzal/Keith Yandle

Boston Bruins
    Zdeno Chara 2006 - Patrice Bergeron/Chris Kelly/David Krejci

Buffalo Sabres
    Brian Gionta 2014 - Josh Gorges/Matt Moulson

Calgary Flames
    Mark Giordano 2013 - Curtis Glencross/Kris Russell

Carolina Hurricanes
    Eric Staal 2010 - Jordan Staal/Rotating

Chicago Blackhawks
    Jonathan Toews 2008 - Duncan Keith/Patrick Sharp

Colorado Avalanche
    Gabriel Landeskog 2012 - Jarome Iginla/Cody McLeod

Columbus Blue Jackets
    Vacant N/A - Jared Boll/Brandon Dubinsky/Jack Johnson
    Mark Letestua

Dallas Stars
    Jamie Benn 2013 - Trevor Daley/Vernon Fiddler

Detroit Red Wings
    Henrik Zetterberg 2013 - Pavel Datsyuk/Niklas Kronwall

Edmonton Oilers
    Andrew Ference 2013 - Jordan Eberle/Taylor Hall

Florida Panthers
    Willie Mitchell 2014 - Dave Bolland/Brian Campbell/Derek MacKenzie/Scottie Upshall

Los Angeles Kings
    Dustin Brown 2008 - Matt Greene/Anze Kopitar

Minnesota Wild
    Mikko Koivu 2009 - Zach Parise/Ryan Suter

Montreal Canadiens
    Vacant N/A - Andrei Markov/Max Pacioretty/Tomas Plekanec/P. K. Subban

Nashville Predators
    Shea Weber 2010 - Mike Fisher/James Neal

New Jersey Devils
    Bryce Salvador 2013 - Patrik Elias/Andy Greene/Travis Zajac

New York Islanders
    John Tavares 2013 - Frans Nielsen/Kyle Okposo

New York Rangers
    Ryan McDonagh 2014 - Daniel Girardi/Martin St. Louis/Marc Staal/Derek Stepan

Ottawa Senators
    Erik Karlsson 2014 - Chris Neil/Chris Phillips

Philadelphia Flyers
    Claude Giroux 2013 - Wayne Simmonds/Mark Streit

Pittsburgh Penguins
    Sidney Crosby 2007 - Chris Kunitz/Evgeni Malkin

St. Louis Blues
    David Backes 2011 - Barret Jackman/T. J. Oshie/Alex Pietrangelo/Alexander Steen

San Jose Sharks
    Vacant N/A - Patrick Marleau/Joe Pavelski/Joe Thornton/Marc-Edouard Vlasic

Tampa Bay Lightning
    Steven Stamkos 2014 - Rotating

Toronto Maple Leafs
    Dion Phaneuf 2010 - Joffrey Lupul/Stephane Robidas

Vancouver Canucks
    Henrik Sedin 2010 - Kevin Bieksa/Daniel Sedin

Washington Capitals
    Alexander Ovechkin 2010 - Nicklas Backstrom/Brooks Orpik

Winnipeg Jets
    Andrew Ladd 2010 - Mark Stuart/Blake Wheeler

In some cases, the best player on the team is also an excellent choice for captain (Getzlaf, Toews). In some cases, they waited for their best player to grow into the role before appointing him (Tavares, Stamkos). And in others, they don't have an ideal candidate, so they are vacant (Habs, Sharks).

Here are my least favourite captains at the moment:

Ovechkin - Washington
    Karlsson - Ottawa
    Landeskog - Colorado (I think he was 19 years old when they made him captain. WTF?)
    Phaneuf - Toronto
    H. Sedin - Vancouver

Thoughts?
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

The Preds in town tonight! Last game before the All-Star break for the Habs.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    The Preds in town tonight! Last game before the All-Star break for the Habs.
    Hook me up Yves, they are currently ahead of us in the conference standings

Workmanlike W for the Blues last night, going into the break

BG

We'll see what we can do, man! They're ahead of us in the standings as well.

Funny line on the Leafs pre-game show last night. There are four sportscasters at the table, none of which are former NHL players. One of them says, "well between all four of us, we only have one less NHL goal than the Leafs have scored in their last four games".

Pathetic.

Oh yeah, and there's this...

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto Star
    Three fans were charged Monday night following the latest round of jersey tossing at the Air Canada Centre during a Maple Leafs loss.

Toronto police said Tuesday that the three men have also been banned from all events at the ACC for a year.

All three were trespassing and charged with a provincial offence (ticket) for Engage in Prohibited Activity (non-criminal charges), police said.

Their names will not be released, police added.

At least three jerseys were tossed onto the ice following Toronto’s 4-1 loss to last-place Carolina, a result that marked the team’s fifth consecutive setback, and 13th in its last 16 games.

Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment had warned of arrests for jersey tossing, and a lifetime ban from the ACC, following a rash of jersey tossing incidents earlier this season.
    Full article here, http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/...ed-on-ice.html

That's crazy! If fans throw their jerseys on the ice, they'll eventually feel guilty about it and buy others...

MLSE claims that it's because tossing stuff on the ice during play is a danger to the players on both teams. And it is. But really I think that they are just a bunch of sucks who can't stand that they are playing so bad the fans are actually rebelling!

How bad is it? Even other teams in the city are dissing them... https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...174846641.html

The eons are closing
    @rotters: great post, need to reflect on it...good ASG break fodder.

Saw Isles Phlyers with my son and wife. 1st game this year, electric crowd. One of the most high energy 'non playoff' 'non rangers' game I have seen in person.

Watching phlyers cindys on nbcsn, and the gas bags were talking about how downie gives the Cindys an edge and I was WTF? Downie leads the league in PIM by 30% over the 2nd place offender and is not in the top 25 in hits. That means for barely 40 pts in a season, you get a douche who can't control, his temper.

Matt Martin leads the league in hits and is 20th in PIM, that's an agitator who wears out the opponent by taking the body and only mixes it up when needed, not needlessly putting his team on the kill. Will he get 40 pts? No...but 25 is a possibility.

Good thing too, as the Isles SUCK at the penalty kill.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I haven't been to a Habs game in about 7 years. Tickets are scarce and way too costly! Then the concession prices are outrageous. I'll just watch the games from home.

So the Leaf fans were throwing their shirts while the play was on? I thought it was at the end of the game or after giving up a goal. I still think that prosecuting them is ridiculous. The Leafs organization has taken its fanbase for granted for 50 years now...

BG- We tried to accommodate you last night but the Preds still managed to leave here with 1-point. they were robbed though as the Habs did not show up until late in the 2nd. It's a good thing Price DID show up for all 60 mins.

The Flyers suck, but at least they can still beat the Penguins.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

So the Leaf fans were throwing their shirts while the play was on? I thought it was at the end of the game or after giving up a goal. I still think that prosecuting them is ridiculous. The Leafs organization has taken its fanbase for granted for 50 years now...
    Yeah. Apparently, it's a "non-criminal charge". Like getting a parking a ticket. There were three guys who threw shirts and they've been banned from ALL events at the ACC for 12 months. I'm really not sure how that can even be enforced. But the ticketing has caused quite a stir in the city. It's all over the media. This whole thing has not gone over well and the message is that MLSE doesn't care that the team sucks and that the fans are pissed. They just look like a bunch of assholes.

One of two things will happen now. Either the shirt throwing will stop as fans get the message that it won't be tolerated, or the trend will get even worse as other pissed-off fans take a stand and throw stuff on the ice in support of these three guys. I expect that if the Leafs continue to lose the latter will happen.

The whole thing is rather silly IMO.

The wearing of Leafs shirts will be banned at all Leafs games. Only people wearing the opposing team's colours will be allowed entry.

BG- We tried to accommodate you last night but the Preds still managed to leave here with 1-point. they were robbed though as the Habs did not show up until late in the 2nd. It's a good thing Price DID show up for all 60 mins.
    We appreciate it - 3 pts back at the break although they have a game in hand

BG

Going back to the All-Star game....

They need to take that out of the fans hands. It's just a popularity contest. The Montreal Canadiens have 2 representatives:

Carey Price (yeah... makes sense)
    Jiri Sekac... say wha? who the fuck is he, asks the rest of the NHL. He's a guy from some small country in eastern Europe where the ENTIRE COUNTRY voted for him. Meanwhile a guy like Pacioretty, with 21 goals, stays at home.

The wearing of Leafs shirts will be banned at all Leafs games. Only people wearing the opposing team's colours will be allowed entry.
    Yeah. Just the opposite of the Senators who try to ban opposing team Jerseys. LOL!