Page 147 of 403 FirstFirst ... 4797137143144145146147148149150151157197247 ... LastLast
Results 3,651 to 3,675 of 10059

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

^^^Agreed. I thought the Bruins looked dysfunctional when I watched them last week. I noted that Chara is not moving the way he used to. He is a big part of their team, but still, they have some skilled players that are supported by a lot of very solid guys. That they are outside the playoffs right now is shocking.

Speaking of former dominant players that are nearing the end ... Vincent Lecavalier fits that bill as well. I think he is on the fourth line these days and looks terrible if not disinterested. Maybe being on a buyout diminishes one's hunger?
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    but rarely if ever do I see a guy donning a Rangers cap or jersey walking down the street. They're probably the least popular Original Six team in Montreal.
    This makes me smile
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    They're the least popular team in my house too! ;-)
    Wow! You'd never know!

It's a head scratcher though Scott. New York is fairly close by. I see Giants fans and Yankees fans galore... Maybe it's because, of the Original Six, they are the least storied franchise. I loved those anniversary jerseys they put out a couple of years ago, but I don't even own a single article of Montreal Canadiens gear. Never liked the colour scheme or logo.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Regarding the Leafs. There's some buzz around about "uncoachable" players and inner turmoil. Who knows what is true or not, but it may be that more is goin on than we think.

Rangers finally back at it tonight on the West coast. We've been on fire, but have played a lot of teams that should be beaten. Curious to see how well they handle these 3 big boys
    HA! Good video. I hadn't seen that before.

My brother suggested that Carlyle asked to leave the Leafs. I don't know why he wouldn't just quit if that were the case, but it would be an interesting turn of events if that were true. Yeah, there's lots of talk going on right now. Shit's flying. Blame is being laid. Ron Wilson talks badly about the Leafs every chance he gets. There's a great video of a reporter blaming Kessel who, in turn, calls the reporter an idiot and walks away. Who knows what's true and what's not. I don't really care, I just hope this isn't proving to be too much of a distraction and that the team can stay focused.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves
    You'd think Montreal would be almost totally Hab fans, but there's plenty of people who hate on them.
    I remember going to Leafs/Sens game a couple of years ago and sitting beside a guy who was cheering really loud for the Sens the whole night. I finally asked him if he'd driven down from Ottawa for the game. He replied, "Nah. I live here but I hate the Leafs. I'll cheer for whoever they're playing".

It's a head scratcher though Scott. New York is fairly close by. I see Giants fans and Yankees fans galore... Maybe it's because, of the Original Six, they are the least storied franchise. I loved those anniversary jerseys they put out a couple of years ago, but I don't even own a single article of Montreal Canadiens gear. Never liked the colour scheme or logo.
    Could have something to do with the fact that we've won 1 cup in the last like 70 years Giants and Yankees have won more and people are front-runners. Makes sense.

People keep throwing Mike Babcock's name around with regards to possibly filling the vacancy on the bench in Toronto, but seems doubtful to me. Why would he WANT to? Talk about a thankless job, what's the lifespan of a Leafs coach these days anyway?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

The off-season rumour was that Mike Babcock would step in next season after leaving Detroit.
    The Leafs have named Peter Horachek, an assistant coach, as the Interim Head Coach for the remainder of this season. So there may be room for Babcock yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    People keep throwing Mike Babcock's name around with regards to possibly filling the vacancy on the bench in Toronto, but seems doubtful to me. Why would he WANT to? Talk about a thankless job, what's the lifespan of a Leafs coach these days anyway?
    http://www.thestar.com/sports/breaka..._are_you_.html

Skip to the last line... Why would he come? Money. The Leafs can outbit anyone. Ego/Challenge. He's won everything that can be won as a coach. But to be the guy who saves the Leafs? That would be something. That would be "checkmate."

Of course, there's always this...

10906254_785555618182983_6145735389354807860_n.jpg
    Last edited by ForeverAutumn; 01-07-2015 at 07:40 PM.

The eons are closing
    ^ lol @ torts....whatta jerk :-)

But seriously, the whole 'save the leafs' angle....Did it work for Bill Parcells in Miami or Dallas? No...just stains in his resume now.. Phil Jackson and the Knicks....that will end very very badly for sure. Some franchises are not redeemable that way.

It takes a player, not a coach, who has sold his soul (cough...messier...cough) or some other significant body part, that can through willpower change a franchise.

Of course I'm high now so what do I know lol!
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Of course I'm high now so what do I know lol!
    LMAO!

I love these Rangers TV spots:

The eons are closing
    Stuck in Pittsfield ma, and only NHL is Bruins v Cindy's with Mike (Joe Buck II) Emerick calling....ugh...total buzzkill, gonna need to recharge lol.

BTW Esther, no ESP here...front page had your bday in the stats along the bottom area :-)

The eons are closing
    Wow! You'd never know!
    Sorry I was not clear earlier :-)

So with the win tonight, Bs move ahead of Leafs now....maybe the firing was too late after all?

So with the win tonight, Bs move ahead of Leafs now....maybe the firing was too late after all?
    If you're basing the validity of the firing on the Leafs making or not making the playoffs, then the firing is about nine years too late!

Back-to-back Cali games for NYR. Rematch of last year's Cup Finals tonight. L.A. looked really strong early with 2 quickees. But Quick-ly (heh, heh) L.A. fell apart. 4 unanswered for us.
    Heading into the 3rd, Rangers up 4-2.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Blues stepping it up - two convincing W vs the Sharks in the past week

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Big, bad, tough, heavy California teams...pffft!

Rangers are now 12 out of their last 13. PP is the best its looked in ages and <knocks wood> man is this fun!

There does seem to be more parity between East and West this season. Habs used to lose all their games against the upper echelon West teams but have held their own this year. It used to be that a 3rd place team in a West division would be in first if in the East but look at the standings today.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Leafs win! 5-2. But more importantly, have you guys seen this?...

Leafs win! 5-2. But more importantly, have you guys seen this?...

LOL! Let's get physical!

wow

It looks like it may have come from the Blackhawks' ballot box stuffing department (located in Latvia)
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

So of the Leafs next 11 games, nine are on the road! I sure hope that they do better than their last road trip!

Rangers are now 12 out of their last 13. PP is the best its looked in ages and <knocks wood> man is this fun!
    13 of 14. Swept the road trip. The last 30 seconds of their last 2 games; (especially) LA & SJ were some of the best regular season hockey I've ever seen.
    Isles at The Garden tomorrow. That building's going to be loud!
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    13 of 14. Swept the road trip. The last 30 seconds of their last 2 games; (especially) LA & SJ were some of the best regular season hockey I've ever seen.
    Isles at The Garden tomorrow. That building's going to be loud!
    The game is Tuesday, but yeah man, it's going to be loud. These games are always loud, but this will be playoff decibel loud.