Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Just like the Oilers...

Hockey is more than a plug-and-play sport. It's about a system and finding the players to implement your system, not unlike football. The teams that don't have an effective system wallow in mediocrity, despite the talent they have on paper.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Just like the Oilers...
    Indeed... the other big 80's team....
    but unlike the Istes, Edmonton is a very limited market, which doesn't offer much attractivity forthe players or even a possible great fan reservoir (in terms of number/population)...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from heroin-addicts to crazy ones

The Edmonton region is growing in leaps and bounds due to the tar sands industry. They also have the best ice surface in the NHL!

Islanders market is eaten up primarily by the Rangers and the Devils so I'm not sure just how big their market really is....

In other news... the Habs have got to be the shakiest 9-4-1 team ever! A lowly shootout win over the pathetic Sabres last night; in easily the dullest game I've seen all year...

Should have watched Rangers/Red Wings then. Awesome, wide open, back and forth game. Eventually won by Rangers in OT
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe

Saw the highlights this morning... Wigs have dropped 3 in a row now? Hard team to figure out...

I think they are still a good team. Getting' older though! Last night both teams had moments of total domination.

They have a lame duck coach too. That's gonna hurt them down the stretch.

The Edmonton region is growing in leaps and bounds due to the tar sands industry. They also have the best ice surface in the NHL!

Islanders market is eaten up primarily by the Rangers and the Devils so I'm not sure just how big their market really is....
    Woth oil price dropping heavily, Edmonton's tar sands may dry up in terms of jobs (just too expensive to be competitive at low oil prices)

As for the Isles, I don't think the Devils are competition for market share (between Long Island and Newark are the Rangers... And (Islanders) ate up the Ranger's market.. Devils did more of that a decade later after moving from Denver.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from heroin-addicts to crazy ones

What about my member? rottersclub's Avatar
    Round 1 of the Battle of Ontario goes to the Leafs. They came back a couple of times and ended up winning 5-3. I think Toronto got better goaltending last night. Reimer's record against Ottawa is sick - something like 10-2-1. Ottawa has some pieces that are misfiring right now and are a couple of players short of having a major league roster. Heaven knows they have the cap space to afford to bring in another big time defenceman and forward. A couple of the guys who got contracts (Greening and Cowen) have been pretty lame so far this year. Toronto seems to have some good assets in the minors that they can bring up as needed to fill the holes as needed. Ottawa keeps plugging in these guys with contracts to 1) save them from being claimed on waivers if they try to send them down, and 2) save face.

Up next is the brutal western Canada road trip that usually kills the Sens. They will probably be back to .500 when they return home.
    Last edited by rottersclub; 11-10-2014 at 01:56 PM.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after hes smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

The eons are closing
    Not likely this year.

Now if you said Top 2, I could understand lol!

The Isles can score with anyone in the league. The question has been and will continue to be: enough D and Goalie play.

Going into yesterdays games, the Isles had the 2nd fewest goals against in the Metro division. Sure a weak division, but finishing a road trip with a 3 game win streak, I will take 9 wins in first 15 games.

The difference being that the Habs will be in the mix by the end of the season. The Isles will be eyeing a top 5 draft pick!
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

The eons are closing
    When the failed Rockies came and invaded NJ as the Devils it totally ate into a chunk of Isles fan base. Guys who grew up Isles fans in NNJ who hated the Phlyers and blueshirts; had kids, took 'em to the Byrne Arena, regardless of the Devils mediocrity, and those kids became Devils fans. The Isles got no money from the Devils moving in; lost a portion of their NNJ fanbase through both the devils location convenience as well as being shunted to 3rd class TV status....and this was in the 80s! 5 cup finals in a row and I couldn't watch the Isles on TV in NNJ.

Sure I am slightly over simplifying , but there was damage from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Woth oil price dropping heavily, Edmonton's tar sands may dry up in terms of jobs (just too expensive to be competitive at low oil prices)

As for the Isles, I don't think the Devils are competition for market share (between Long Island and Newark are the Rangers... And (Islanders) ate up the Ranger's market.. Devils did more of that a decade later after moving from Denver.
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

I didn't think the Devils had any fans.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    When the failed Rockies came and invaded NJ as the Devils it totally ate into a chunk of Isles fan base. Guys who grew up Isles fans in NNJ who hated the Phlyers and blueshirts; had kids, took 'em to the Byrne Arena, regardless of the Devils mediocrity, and those kids became Devils fans. The Isles got no money from the Devils moving in; lost a portion of their NNJ fanbase through both the devils location convenience as well as being shunted to 3rd class TV status....and this was in the 80s! 5 cup finals in a row and I couldn't watch the Isles on TV in NNJ.

Sure I am slightly over simplifying , but there was damage from the start.
    Looking at where you're from, I won't discuss much, since you're likely to know much better than me... However, when the Rockies became the Devils, the Isles were in the middle of their dynasty... and remained good until the end of the 80's (until most of the Potvins, Trottier, etc.. either moved away or retired), if memory serves... While the Rangers hadn't won anything in decades when the Rockies/Devils moved in the area

My guess is that this course of event you describe was hardly immediate (as of 82 or 83) so I'd say that the NJD eating the NYI market must've happened during the 90's.

YMMV
    Last edited by Trane; 11-11-2014 at 11:30 AM.

Phil Kessel selfie. Is that you, Esther?

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Phil Kessel selfie. Is that you, Esther?
    LOL! She does look a bit like me...20 years ago.

I had my chance for a photo with Phil when we saw him at the airport last April. It was right as playoffs were starting though, and I was afraid that if I got too close I'd end up punching him.

Rangers getting a flurry of shots on Fleury whose been outstanding. Cindy & Co. down 4-0 midway through.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

No one scores against NY tonight; Rangers win 5-0, Isles win 6-0.
    Yay!
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Habs win 3-0 !

We just made a BLOCKBUSTER trade! Gonchar for Moen!

I didn't figure Moen would even start the season in Montreal so at least we got something for him. We also placed Bourque on waivers. He cleared them and has now reported to the Hamilton Bulldogs. He was acquired in the deal that sent Cammalleri to Calgary a few season back. Neither team made out all that well in that transaction, as Cammalleri has since moved on from Calgary..

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    My guess is that this course of event you describe was hardly immediate (as of 82 or 83) so I'd say that the NJD eating the NYI market must've happened during the 90's.
    It definitely didn't happen until the 90's. All the bandwagon fans latching on as they started to win while Lamorello/Lemaire sucked the fun and life out of the game with that choking trap. In the 80's as a hockey kid here in tri-state area, I can barely remember the Devils being mentioned. It was Rangers and Islanders...that's it. That rivalry is starting to come back to those nuclear levels too...love it!

By the way, speaking of Isles, this is a great piece on their defenseman, Travis Harmonic. Huge props to this kid. I love stories like these More proof of how down to earth and solid hockey players are...

Meanwhile...

Rangers lay a beatdown on the Pens last night. Much better showing than the egg they laid against Edm. the other night. John Moore back was a huge plus. Looked real good.

Holy cow! Leafs beat the Bruins 6-1!

This can only lead to disappointment on Friday night against the Penguins.

We get the Bruins tonight. Either you beat them into submission or they will take their revenge out on us!

I hope that we sufficiently tired them out for you.

I hate the Bruins more than I hate the Habs, so GO HABS!

They're my most hated team as well... followed by the Sens. The Leafs don't even figure on my list, unless we play them in the playoffs one day.

As far as hate goes...

Penguins <<<<<<< Rangers <<< Devils <<< Bruins.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    I hope that we sufficiently tired them out for you.

I hate the Bruins more than I hate the Habs, so GO HABS!

I'm curious as to why? I assumed in the womb Leaf fans begin their ultimate hatred for the Habs and vice versa.