Page 137 of 402 FirstFirst ... 3787127133134135136137138139140141147187237 ... LastLast
Results 3,401 to 3,425 of 10029

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Wild (ahem) win over Minnesota tonight. Third period of epic proportions. Down 3-0, the boys get a 5 spot; Duclair's first career goal with under 4 minutes left ties it and Zuccarello's first of the season 37 seconds later wins it! The Wild had only given up 6 goals all season. Wild!!

http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/boxscore?id=2014020122
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Kinda wish the Oilers could switch to the Eastern Conference this year...currently they're 0-4-1 against the west, 4-0 versus the east.

I didn't see the game yesterday because it's started so late and I was watching MNF. Did the Habs look that bad or were the Oilers just opportunistic?

Habs never fare all that well on the west coast...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Habs had more shots but, overall, the Oilers really carried a good portion of the play and had better scoring chances until the third period when there was a solid push by Montreal. LOTS of blocked shots by the Oilers limited the quality scoring chances of the Habs.

Habs have had a habit of digging an early hole for themselves and then rallying back. This formula cannot work every game. I guess yesterday was proof of that.

Soooooooo, when was the last time the Islanders were atop their division??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

An entire weekend without a post?

Habs looking like their flaws are catching up with them. Too many penalties and too slow out of the gate in every game! I think we have a solid team but not strong enough to come back in every single game. Price can only do so much....

Saturday's Leafs game against the Blackhawks was a great game and just reinforced everything that I've been saying about James Reimer. He held off a barrage of pucks in the third period as the Hawks came on strong to try and tie up the game. They had way too many chances and the Leafs just couldn't seem to get the puck over the blue line. Reimer saved the day...as well as a whole lotta shots.

How are my Canadian friends here finding the Rogers coverage of the games. I'm still trying to get used to some of the changes, but I have to say that Stroumboulopoulos is doing a better job than I expected. I'm not sure yet that I like him on Hockey Central...but I don't hate him. He brings an energy that wasn't there before. There are also way more games available. On Saturday night at 7:00, I think I had my choice of four different games to watch. In the past we've had the HNIC game and that's all. Leafs TV is now defunct, but there's like four new TSN channels to watch!

I watch my hockey en français so I have not seen more than a few minutes of coverage on City or Rogers... Is the CBC still showing HNIC ? Is Cherry still doing his schtick in the first intermission?

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I watch my hockey en français so I have not seen more than a few minutes of coverage on City or Rogers... Is the CBC still showing HNIC ? Is Cherry still doing his schtick in the first intermission?
    Yes, HNIC is still on CBC on Saturday nights. That was part of the deal with Rogers. CBC got to keep HNIC...I'm not sure for how long though. Coaches' Corner with Cherry and MacLean is also still on. Again...not sure for how long. And I think they might have cut down the length, but I'm not sure about that.

MacLean made some statements at the start of the season that made it quite clear that he was not a happy camper.

Ron Maclean is the main reason I do NOT watch hockey in English... I loathe his Western bias... RDS has the best coverage of any hockey I have ever watched. They are still covering most of the Habs games but TVA Sports took over the Saturday night games and a few key match-ups during the season. They are very amateurish; to the point where I watch my Saturday night games with the TV sound off and the iPod shuffling music instead.

Rangers lost McDonagh for a few week with a separated shoulder. Not good as we're already down Klein and Boyle. Klein should be back soon. He's been great. Recalled McIlrath and Allen. I'd love to see McIlrath do well and stay up. We could use a big guy to clear the crease. Here's your chance to prove you were worth that #1 pick!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    Yes, HNIC is still on CBC on Saturday nights. That was part of the deal with Rogers. CBC got to keep HNIC...I'm not sure for how long though. Coaches' Corner with Cherry and MacLean is also still on. Again...not sure for how long. And I think they might have cut down the length, but I'm not sure about that.

MacLean made some statements at the start of the season that made it quite clear that he was not a happy camper.

CBC gets to show Rogers' produced hockey for 4 years.

MacLean was definitely one of the losers in this deal. He's been pretty much relegated to doing hockey roadshow episodes leading into Saturday night games.

I think Rogers is doing a reasonably good job of it. Some of their talking heads are brutal (Kyprios, Doug MacLean, Dreiger, a few others). TSN has a little better crop of analysts and we get a sampling of them on the regional Sens broadcasts.

WRT Strombo, I've always felt that he's just a little too cool for his own good. It may be a generational thing, but he doesn't exactly exude mucho, macho hockey vibes. At least Ron MacLean was a ref at some level. I would be surprised if Strombo even plays recreational hockey. He just doesn't strike me that way. One the other hand, MacLean's incessant run-on sentences, name dropping and horrible puns are not missed. So I can live with Strombo. In truth, I usually PVR the games and skip all the yakking in between periods anyway. I haven't heard Cherry rant for a few years. Having to watch those ridiculous clothes at 5 times fast forward speed are bad enough.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Thanks for that. I wasn't sure of the details and figured Yves could Google them as easily as I could if he cared to.

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    WRT Strombo, I've always felt that he's just a little too cool for his own good. It may be a generational thing, but he doesn't exactly exude mucho, macho hockey vibes. At least Ron MacLean was a ref at some level. I would be surprised if Strombo even plays recreational hockey. He just doesn't strike me that way.
    I think that you hit the nail on the head. He's not a sportscaster or hockey player. And maybe that why I don't love him in the role. On the other hand he's not a sportscaster or hockey player and that's probably why I don't hate him in the role. I'm not quite sure yet how he fits in...or IF he fits in. How real is his hockey banter and how much is fed through his monitor, or rehearsed beforehand? At least MacLean, love him or hate him, is a hockey guy and knows the game. Hockey is natural to him. I'm just not convinced yet that Stromo is a hockey guy. I mean, he's interviewed Margaret Atwood for god's sake!

So after 10 games, the Senators are 5-3-2 which belies the way they have played. They have been badly outshot in all but one of those games and if it weren't for top-notch goaltending, their record would be much worse. The most pleasant surprise so far besides the goaltending, has been the play of 19 year old, Curtis Lazar. He has only dressed for 8 games so far, so the Sens will have to decide what to do with him after his next game. He only has 2 assists so far, but has played a very solid two way game and has been out on the PK as well as the PP at times. He has been centring a line with Mark Stone and Mike Hoffman and they have been very exciting to watch. Hoffman is a speedster with a good release and decent hands and once he gets used to speed of the NHL, I think he will put up some decent numbers. He had 30 goals in the AHL last year in around 55 games. Stone doesn't skate all that well, but has great hands and should be a productive player as well. It's been a while since I've been as excited about the youth on the team, so that should keep my interest up when the inevitable losses start piling up.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Aside from Buffalo and maybe Florida, the Atlantic division will be a dog fight all season long. It may even produce both Eastern Conference Wild Cards this season...

The Habs season after 13 games:

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...."

Still early my friend!

Rangers despite being pummeled with injuries, aren't doing too bad. We get Stepan back soon which will be a big boost. Dan Boyle skating as well.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

The Flyers are playing surprisingly well, and are finally getting good play from Steve Mason in goal. Ray Emery seemed to get his game together sooner, but it's good to have the "#1" goalie playing well. Jake Voracek has been on fire.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Well that beats The Leafs, "It was the worst of times, it was the worst of times". LOL! After a great game against Chicago on Saturday night, I expected more from them last night. They usually have a great start to the season and then fall apart. I don't know if they're trying a reverse strategy this year, or if they really do just suck that badly (shut up Scott! ).

At this point, I'm just biding my time until Lacrosse season starts in January.

BTW, in case anyone hasn't seen this goal on the highlight reels, it's a beauty...

The Habs' weaknesses were apparent right from game 1. It took 10 games for them to become apparent to the opponents. Hopefully we can kick the lowly Sabres around tonight and feel good about ourselves again... Right now, nothing is working. They can't score, they can't stay out of the penalty box (most minor penalties in the league!) and they can't keep the puck out of their own net!

looks like fantasy's over for the Islanders as well.....
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

The difference being that the Habs will be in the mix by the end of the season. The Isles will be eyeing a top 5 draft pick!

The difference being that the Habs will be in the mix by the end of the season. The Isles will be eyeing a top 5 draft pick!
    the Isles have been collecting top draft picks for three decades and it got them nowhere...