Page 135 of 402 FirstFirst ... 3585125131132133134135136137138139145185235 ... LastLast
Results 3,351 to 3,375 of 10044

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

It's going to be a looong season for my Flyboys. But, that's okay. Lots of good, young talent coming up in the next couple years. I can be patient.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I was right a few pages back. There was almost NO ONE at the Panthers game last night and the "paid" attendance was only 7,000+. I figured, just based on the history of Miami sports, that it was bad but had no idea it was that bad.

They screwed the pooch by putting a team there in the first place now they need to deal with it. I have no idea what they will do, maybe even nothing, but it's pretty sad for a NHL game to happen and no one is there to see it.

^ The lack of attendence at that game was actually a story on the Toronto news tonight.

EDIT: I just read an article that said one of the reasons for the lower attendance is that the previous owners used to give away a lot of free tickets to fill the stands. The new owners have stopped doing that because they feel it's not fair to the season ticket holders (which they apparently do have) and others who buy tickets.

So the previous numbers may have been artificially inflated and the attendance has always been this bad. Not a very good commentary on the current status of the team.
    Last edited by ForeverAutumn; 10-14-2014 at 09:25 PM.

The eons are closing
    If only the season could end today.... lol
    Perfect in every way! :-)
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    They screwed the pooch by putting a team there in the first place now they need to deal with it. I have no idea what they will do, maybe even nothing, but it's pretty sad for a NHL game to happen and no one is there to see it.
    Obviously, the team needs to be moved. But, y'know, Bettman.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Obviously, the team needs to be moved. But, y'know, Bettman.
    Bettman is but a mouthpiece for the collective group of owners. Ownership of any major league franchise depends on how much money you're willing to throw into the pit. Once nobody in S. FLA is willing to do so the team will be moved. Seattle is top of the list I believe, though Quebec is the sure fire location to ensure a full house. Somebody there just needs to step up to the plate. I keep expecting Quebec media mogul Quebecor to make a serious run at an NHL franchise in La Vieille Capitale. I know the city has concrete plans (pun intended) to build an NHL calibre hockey rink in Quebec.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Very interesting. Not counting my chickens yet though.

Whew, Rangers escape with the shootout win. Still no powerplay goals this season.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Habs are winning but....

11 goals against in 2 games? They can't keep that up and still win! They're 4-1 so far this season but I think they're at -4 in the +/- ... They also need to stay out of the penalty box because their PK is mediocre at best. Again yesterday they took an early penalty and gave up a PP goal, thus killing any early momentum the had. They prevailed because the Bruins were winded having played the previous night in Detroit. Also, Rask sucks against the Habs. It's in his head and he can't shake it off....

But I'll take the W !

I saw that Lucic is still being a meathead The love affair between he and Emelin still going strong.

Rangers managed to squeak one out through the heavy trap of Carolina. Frustrating game to watch but the W will hopefully get some confidence back. Losing Dan Boyle has been a huge blow. It definitely makes me appreciate how important a solid 7th DMan is because we don't have one!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Lucic cracks me up.

Marchand is the real agitator on that team though. He pestered Gallagher all night long with gloves to the face, etc.... But Gallagher still scored 2 goals in the game!

Those intimidation tactics just don't work on the Habs anymore. I don't know why the Bruins bother when they've got such a solid team!

Quote Originally Posted by oilersfan View Post
    Lucic cracks me up.
    Lucic was fined $5000 for his "performance" last night. I suspect if you're Milan Lucic it's probably viewed as money well spent. LOL!

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...162411333.html

Rangers had better get their heads out of their tails soon. Stepan's absence has really impacted the team, especially on faceoffs.
    Didn't see the Bruins/Habs game: Did Lou Cheech "f'ing kill" anybody?

I don't think Weiss was playing. Is he still on the team, Yves?

Yeah, he's still on the team. I'm trying to remember if he was even suited up for yesterday's game. Therrien does so much shuffling with his right wingers during a game that you eventually lose site of some players. Weiss may have played with Moen (surprisingly still a Hab...by default) and Prust on the 4th line.

I forgot it was to Weiss that he said that. I was thinking it was to Emelin (who popped him a good solid check in the 1st period). His schtick is getting old. You don't see Chara doing all that stupid shit, it's just Lucic and Marchand who can't let things go...

Well, my dire predictions regarding how bad the Senators would be this year have been pretty much dead wrong so far (thank goodness). They are 3-1 with wins over two very good teams (TB and COL) but they continue to play poorly in their own zone and experiment of using 4 forwards and one defenceman on the powerplay has been pretty ineffective to date. The bad penalties are down a bit and the goaltending has been very solid so far.

The big surprise so far is how complete a game 19 year old Curtis Lazar has brought to the NHL. When he made the team out of training camp, the thought was that he would get a 9 game taste of "the show", then go back to the Oil Kings and dominate in the WHL and play at the Worlds. But he has put a former Calder Cup winner in the press box (Colin Greening) and is showing no sign of not being able to play in the NHL. He almost scored his first career goal last night, but Smith tapped it in to ensure it got over the line.

It's funny - Yves commented that they couldn't skate with the Habs during the preseason and we've seen some stretches of play where they struggled to keep up. But when they establish their breakout, they are able to move the puck very smartly. So it's back to basics (again) to work on the simple stuff like getting it out of their own zone without coughing it up, like they did all last year. Sheesh.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

The eons are closing
    Can the season end now please? It hasn't been this good for me, hockey wise, in 30 years. Hell, Mike Bossy, my all time fave Isle, is doing occasional btwn period color now!

I always thought that the Isles didn't need a "A-grade" defense to get over the hump. Just upgrading from D- to B is enough.
    At the moment, their offense is tres formidable. Now their D isn't porous.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

The Leafs suck. They aren't supposed to start sucking until February.

I was surprised that Carlyle kept his job in the off-season. I was expecting sweeping changes from Shanahan...

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I was surprised that Carlyle kept his job in the off-season. I was expecting sweeping changes from Shanahan...
    It's not too late....yet.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Can the season end now please? It hasn't been this good for me, hockey wise, in 30 years. Hell, Mike Bossy, my all time fave Isle, is doing occasional btwn period color now!

I always thought that the Isles didn't need a "A-grade" defense to get over the hump. Just upgrading from D- to B is enough.
    At the moment, their offense is tres formidable. Now their D isn't porous.
    Not to mention a pretty damn solid goalie in Halak. I hate the Isles as much as you hate the Rangers, but I love that your boys are looking good. It's great for the game especially here in the East. The rivalry between our teams had faded a bit I think. Especially with younger fans who seem to hate Devils and Flyers more. Fuck that!! I hate 'em too, but the brunt of all Ranger hate should fall on the Islanders and it should be the same the other way around

Good stuff!

Kings defenseman Voynov suspended indefinitely

Monday, 10.20.2014 / 10:37 AM / News

NEW YORK – Los Angeles Kings defenseman Slava Voynov has been suspended indefinitely from all club activities pending a formal investigation by the National Hockey League of an arrest this morning on charges of domestic violence.

The suspension was imposed under Section 18-A.5 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, which provides that, during the pendency of a criminal investigation, "The League may suspend the Player pending the League's formal review and disposition of the matter where the failure to suspend the Player during this period would create a substantial risk of material harm to the legitimate interests and/or reputation of the League."

Voynov, who will continue to be paid during the pendency of the investigation, was arrested for California Penal Code section 273.5, Domestic Violence.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=735321

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    Kings defenseman Voynov suspended indefinitely
    Just read this and I am sorry to hear it. It will impact the Kings, but the more important issue is the domestic violence incident itself. Not really any details have emerged, but as a King's fan it is disappointing one of their players has chosen to act this way.
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.