Page 133 of 402 FirstFirst ... 3383123129130131132133134135136137143183233 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,325 of 10029

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    One more pre-season game then we drop the puck for real!!
    Four sleeps!

The Leafs smoked the Red Wings last night 5-1. Their pre-season is done with a finish of 5-2-1. Not a bad finish at all. I like some of the new talent that they've played in the pre-season. Most notably Brandon Kozun and William Nylander. Nylander is young, only 18, so he may not make the cut this year. I'd like to see Kozun make the roster.

All joking aside, I think that there's a lot of talent on the team. Unfortunately there are also a lot of injuries already, and the season hasn't even begun. If the Leafs can get through the season with a healthy team and some good direction from management and the coaching staff they might just do okay this year. I like the shape they're taking. As I said earlier, I don't think that the team will change overnight, but I see a much brighter future.

What a blast the Ranger/Blackhawk game was last night! Really put me in hockey mode.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Wow...nice moves by Islanders picking up Boychuk and Leddy. Dammit that just improved the shit out of their shit defense!

Yeah the Isles will be a different team to watch when they come to Raleigh next week. The Isles acquire Boychuk and Leddy, while the Canes . . . . . . . . . are feeding barbecue to their season ticket holders.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Absolutely. Tampa should be right up there. I still think Boston has it and will be the beast of the East.
    Tampa's stong. Stamkos back, great goaltending...

Thanks for reminding me about that terrible trade - Bishop for Conacher. Ugggh.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

The Habs and Sens played a preseaon game with a bit of a playoff feel to it yesterday. Paul "I Am The Walrus" Maclean sent Neil and some other goon to fight Subban and Pacioretty. He is easily the most classless coach in the NHL and I hope he realizes that when you send your goons after another team's elite players all you're doing is placing a target on the back of your own star player.

Habs ended up taking too many penalties in the game because it was obvious to me that the Sens couldn't skate with us in a 5-on-5 situation.

One more pre-season game then we drop the puck for real!!
    Yves, I didn't understand most of this post, but did the results on Saturday night change anything for you?

Ottawa is going back two years ago to the "pesky" way they played when all their best players were out with injuries and they still made the playoffs and stomped the Habs in the first round. I don't think they will make the playoffs this year unless David Legwand becomes the 40-goal scorer they once projected him to be. But they will be a bee in some teams bonnet all season long and I suspect the Habs are high on that list. And with all due respect, I think they can skate with most teams, including the Habs.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.

I know this is off-topic, but as fellow sports fans I felt like this should be shared...although most of you may already be aware of it since Football is a much bigger deal in the US than here in Canada. This, in my mind, is the definition of sportsmanship. A very classy move by an opposing team.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nf...041411028.html

P.S. Two more sleeps!

Yeah, that's a great story. So much about the reaction to Devon Stills' tragedy is a great story.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    Yves, I didn't understand most of this post, but did the results on Saturday night change anything for you?

Ottawa is going back two years ago to the "pesky" way they played when all their best players were out with injuries and they still made the playoffs and stomped the Habs in the first round. I don't think they will make the playoffs this year unless David Legwand becomes the 40-goal scorer they once projected him to be. But they will be a bee in some teams bonnet all season long and I suspect the Habs are high on that list. And with all due respect, I think they can skate with most teams, including the Habs.
    Stan I don't believe that you send your goons out headhunting in a pre-season game the way Maclean did on Friday. I believe that Therrien and the Habs made a mental note of it. I don't believe that the Saturday night game was the time to exact revenge though Prust did try to send a message.

I think Ottawa resorted to those tactics because while in 5-on-5 mode in that game, the Habs were controlling the play. I thought the Sens played better on Saturday and once again the Habs lost a game by not being able to stay out of the penalty box.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

ONE MORE SLEEP!!!!

And thanks to this photo of Joffrey Lupul I think I'll have some sweet, sweet dreams.

joffrey-lupul.jpg

Stan I don't believe that you send your goons out headhunting in a pre-season game the way Maclean did on Friday. I believe that Therrien and the Habs made a mental note of it. I don't believe that the Saturday night game was the time to exact revenge though Prust did try to send a message.

I think Ottawa resorted to those tactics because while in 5-on-5 mode in that game, the Habs were controlling the play. I thought the Sens played better on Saturday and once again the Habs lost a game by not being able to stay out of the penalty box.
    Look, I don't like the way Chris Neil plays the game. But I also don't consider him a goon. He's been in the league for a long time and he's always played the game the same way - always on the edge. He takes a ton of penalties - witness the double minors he got in that fracas - and has cost the team some games. So I didn't see it as MacLean sending over a goon to beat up one of Montreal's more skilled players. Neil gets a regular shift and that's why he was on the ice. Borowiecki has been up and down the past three years and he's now on a one-way contract, so he'll be around for the next few years. He's there because of the inconsistent play of Wiercoch, Gryba and Cowen last year. He plays the game hard and is another piece in that "pesky" style the Sens want to play again. I think he was captain of the Binghamton Senators the year they won the Calder Cup.

Ottawa had one goon on the roster last year - Matt Kassian - but he was not resigned. Interestingly, the Leafs let both of their fighters go yesterday - MacLaren and Orr. We've talked about the demise of the goon/enforcer type player in the NHL and I believe the day of having guys who can only fight are just about done. But there will always be guys in the league who can skate, hit and work hard on the boards and in front of the net. Chris Neil is one of those guys.

I agree that the Habs dominated play in the second period and the Sens power play was the difference, but I think they were able to keep up in the first and third periods. (I didn't see the OT, but I understand the winning goal was on the power play.)

So I guess the point of all this is, the Sens are going to play the way they did in those two games against the Habs all year. The emphasis is in being tenacious and "in-your-face" while hopefully staying out of the penalty box. Like I said in a previous post, it won't always make for entertaining hockey. The Habs look good this year.

Chris Neil is the perfect example of a hated player that you'd love if he was on your team. The guy is fearless and can chip in points here and there. I definitely don't consider him a goon though he does walk that fine line between dirty and clean. Players ALWAYS know when Neil is on the ice and if not, shame on them when he puts 'em though the boards.

GAME DAY!

Cheers to a fun season for everyone. Good luck to everyone's team. And GO LEAFS GO!!!

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Wow...nice moves by Islanders picking up Boychuk and Leddy. Dammit that just improved the shit out of their shit defense!
    Capuano is out of execuses (and the sh!t defense was a tres-valid excuse).
    Got tix for three games; will get tix for final home game at Nassau when they go on sale.

As for the start of the season:
    Oooh...the Isles and Canes have an 'exclusive' Friday night showcase with no other games on!
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

The eons are closing
    BTW: new thread for new season?
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    BTW: new thread for new season?
    I don't know. I kinda like this one. 133 pages and still going strong. Can we hit 200 this season? Will we blow up the site? Can we take the prize for longest thread, both in pages and time? This one's been going since Jan. 6, 2013.

Let the games begin!!!!

They began with a bang last night! Habs-Leafs had the flow and feel of a playoff game! Leafs are a lot faster than they were last season for sure. In the end a more seasoned team with a stronger goalie prevailed. I do think that once this Leaf team gels they will win their share of games and be in the mix come playoff time (so Esther, hold on to that explanation of the playoffs I posted here. You may need it).
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Not sure how many of you are DirecTV subscribers, but they are giving up free Center Ice through the 25th

I believe Dish and some cable providers may be as well?

Blues / StRangers tonight for me

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

They began with a bang last night! Habs-Leafs had the flow and feel of a playoff game! Leafs are a lot faster than they were last season for sure. In the end a more seasoned team with a stronger goalie prevailed. I do think that once this Leaf team gels they will win their share of games and be in the mix come playoff time (so Esther, hold on to that explanation of the playoffs I posted here. You may need it).
    Gee thanks. LOL!

Unfortunately, I was only able to watch about the last 12 minutes of the game. But our Thanksgiving dinner was moved from Saturday to Sunday this weekend, so I'll be able to watch them play the Penguins on Saturday night.

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    Kings got smoked but the pregame was sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Capuano is out of execuses (and the sh!t defense was a tres-valid excuse).
    Got tix for three games; will get tix for final home game at Nassau when they go on sale.

As for the start of the season:
    Oooh...the Isles and Canes have an 'exclusive' Friday night showcase with no other games on!

Capuano needs to do something about that Kajagoogoo hairdo. Hey by the way, you'd be proud to know that John Tavares was a #1 draft pick on one of my Fantasy teams. It was painful and I had to shower twice with gravel, but it had to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    Not sure how many of you are DirecTV subscribers, but they are giving up free Center Ice through the 25th

I believe Dish and some cable providers may be as well?

Blues / StRangers tonight for me

BG
    Thanks for the heads up. I have Rangers-Blues, Devils-Flyers, Caps-Habs, Bruins-RWings and Fla-TB available now; a few west coasters later. Have Caps/Habs ot on now with the Rangers 3rd period beginning about the time this one should end. Hockey's back & I love it!! (Time Warner Cable)
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

I had the same observation watching the Blackhawks/Stars, lots of free flowing open ice rushes. Also, the rink put in new glass and boards, and the puck was bouncing around everywhere. The game is about speed.

http://blackoutdallas.com/2014/10/07...ys-stars-news/

"The way the new boards are designed, they are livelier than the old ones as well."

“The way they designed the bottom of the dashers, there is not a dead spot. They are hot. The pucks are going to fly and motor around there,” said Bateman. “It’s rocket fire. With our speedy team, I thought it was the best thing to do.”