Page 12 of 403 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    ...and Subban stays in Montreal.
    He did what he had to do, imo... 2 years- 5.75 mil. Play well and sign the BIG CONTRACT at 25! Hopefully he won't fuck up the current team chemistry though!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Lino
    Rumours swirling in Toronto that Kessel is on the block. Any takers???

Now I get to hate him all over again when he decides to slew foot someone!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I just wanted to note that the trade of Nick Foligno to Columbus for Mark Méthot has been very positive for Ottawa. Méthot has the unenviable role of playing with Erik Karlsson, whose defence can be a bit spotty at times. Méthot has been unbelievably steady in the first 5 games of the season and his numbers are pretty good. He plays physically, but not to the point where it puts him out of position or in the penalty box.

I didn't know a thing about the guy when he was toiling in obscurity in Columbus, but Ottawa's management obviously saw something in the guy that Columbus didn't, or couldn't bring out.

Exciting Rangers/Flyers game both teams skating really well. Del Zotto step-in up big again...but It could have come with a big expense Callahan left in the 3rd with an undisclosed injury

The eons are closing
    Good dominating win by the Isles v Pens last night.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator1634 View Post
    Exciting Rangers/Flyers game both teams skating really well. Del Zotto step-in up big again...but It could have come with a big expense Callahan left in the 3rd with an undisclosed injury
    It's nice to see Del Zotto finally having some success. You could tell when he first came up that he had the ability, but sometimes it takes a couple of years for guys to put it all together.

The way he went off the ice, I would guess that Callahan has a separated shoulder. That might put him out for the rest of the season, which would would be a big blow to the Rangers, given their heavy reliance on their top line. Calling Keith Kreider (sp)!

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Good dominating win by the Isles v Pens last night.
    I saw the highlights and the Isles were flying!

I do not know what it is about this year but hockey just cannot grab my attention. Maybe because of short season, maybe because the fact that some players opted out and the league does not have all top players any more, I am not sure. I really tried. Last night I watched Devils - Bruins but after 5 minutes I driffted elswehere. I just do not care any more. I guess NHL needs some superstar or contraversy to get their fans excited.

Well if I can assume that I would represent a typical hockey fan, then I think NHL got themselves into a real funk and it may take some time for them to recover..

One more comment about P.K. Subban. There was an article in the paper this morning in which one of the Montreal beat-writers was asking individual Habs for their comments about P.K. returning to the team. To a man, no one had anything "nice" to say. It was all like "well, we're happy that's over with and we don't have to answer any more of your stupid questions about his holdout". But no one actually said anything like they were happy he was back on the team. Apparently, the only guys who tweeted him were guys who where new to the team this season! Yikes!!

Here's the article:

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/...ut-p-k-subban/
    Last edited by rottersclub; 01-30-2013 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    maybe because the fact that some players opted out and the league does not have all top players any more,
    The only guy I can think of is Tim Thomas who seemed to be in some kind of downward spiral emotionally the past year or two. I mean, who skips going to the White House for the big media event where the sitting president hangs with the Stanley Cup winners. I think he went or is going through some kind of fundamentalist awakening, so who knows if he'll ever return.

What other players of importance have opted out?

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    The only guy I can think of is Tim Thomas who seemed to be in some kind of downward spiral emotionally the past year or two. I mean, who skips going to the White House for the big media event where the sitting president hangs with the Stanley Cup winners. I think he went or is going through some kind of fundamentalist awakening, so who knows if he'll ever return.
    I thought he skipped that as some sort of political protest?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

What other players of importance have opted out?
    You maybe right there. I just do not recognize so many names

The eons are closing
    I saw the highlights and the Isles were flying!
    Flat out the most complete hockey game the Isles have played under Capuano.

I was surprised at the lack of fisticuffs during the game given the rather turbulent recent history between the teams.
    With the Isles total domination last night; I am sure next week's game v Pens will be slightly more 'physical' and not in the Olivia Newton-John sense either...

The only guy I can think of is Tim Thomas who seemed to be in some kind of downward spiral emotionally the past year or two. I mean, who skips going to the White House for the big media event where the sitting president hangs with the Stanley Cup winners. I think he went or is going through some kind of fundamentalist awakening, so who knows if he'll ever return. What other players of importance have opted out?
    Michael Jordan did the same when the Bulls won an NBA championship. I recall president Bush stating some positive lines about Jordan's charitable efforts, local media questioned where he was, but the story fizzled quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    You maybe right there. I just do not recognize so many names
    I think one factor is that some of the "journeymen" UFAs are not being picked up as in the past. So even though a guy like Mike Knuble signed recently, there are still some familiar names sitting at home or have announced their retirement. That means that more young guys are coming up to take their places. It's not even a $ issue, as these RFAs could only expect a one year deal for < $1M, but teams seem to be determined to go with younger guys in this shorter, compressed season.

I admit that the calibre of play so far has been a bit shakey, but remember, there was no pre-season to work things out, so I expect that the quality will pick up in the next week or two.

Sorry you're not enjoying the game. You can always come back for the playoffs!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Michael Jordan did the same when the Bulls won an NBA championship. I recall president Bush stating some positive lines about Jordan's charitable efforts, local media questioned where he was, but the story fizzled quickly.
    Well in the hockey world, it was a pretty big story because Thomas was quite explicit about why he wasn't attending. Sure, the story went away pretty quickly, but then Thomas was back in the news shortly thereafter announcing that he was taking a "sabbatical".

Lino
    Tim Thomas is spending his sabbatical hanging with Ted Nugent and planning their fight to the death against the marxist-lenninist take over of the USA by Dictator Obama, and his trusted advisor Spike Lee.

His loss. When he's older he may regret missing that cherished time with his teammates as they celebrated the Stanley Cup Champs' White House tradition...no matter who is in office. I lost repect for him after that move, because it was selfish. He thought about his hate of the president more than his love of teammates who he shared something very special with. I would say the exact same thing if a player boycotted that party because they hated Bush, Clinton or any other president/politician. I'm very sure that he let his teammates down tremendously, and lost their respect too. You win as a team and you lose as a team.

Too bad, he really had a tremendous run and played sensationally, was the toast of the NHL...and now he's just another forgotten guy.

I hate to say this but...beating the Sabres is starting to taste better than beating the Habs.

Thomas is an odd fella. I read that whole white house situation caused a big stir in Bruins locker room.

As far as the overall NHL product is going this year so far, players are definitely starting to now work out the kinks after an understandably sloppy first few games. You can slowly start to see more of a flow. I'm lovin' every minute of it though. One thing is for sure, if you're a fan of the fights, there have been many.

Rangers losing Callahan is a huge blow. It did look like a separated shoulder. If so, he's gone for probably the rest of the season. Sucks, but it gives someone the opportunity to step up. Kreider has been disappointing and isn't even close to being the multi-dimensional player Callahan is. So we'll have to see...

Thomas is an odd fella. I read that whole white house situation caused a big stir in Bruins locker room.
    I can imagine that it would, which makes it even more egregious, IMO.

As far as the overall NHL product is going this year so far, players are definitely starting to now work out the kinks after an understandably sloppy first few games. You can slowly start to see more of a flow. I'm lovin' every minute of it though. One thing is for sure, if you're a fan of the fights, there have been many.

Agreed. Some rust was to be expected. Sure, many of these guys played in the KHL and elsewhere, but they didn't play together, and had a short amount of time to get their NHL timing back, etc. I expect the quality of play to only get better.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Lino

Rangers losing Callahan is a huge blow. It did look like a separated shoulder. If so, he's gone for probably the rest of the season. Sucks, but it gives someone the opportunity to step up. Kreider has been disappointing and isn't even close to being the multi-dimensional player Callahan is. So we'll have to see...
    Yeah, the Leafs don't have near the depth or talent that the Rangers have, so you can imagine how much losing Lupol hurts us. yet... Matt Frattin got the call up and scored 2 goals last night, including the game winner with 1.5 seconds left in OT. frattin has shown flashes before, but never able to keep it up consistantly. Now he gets another chance to do it day in and day out.

Re: the play in general - it hasn't been inspiring, but we all know it will get better. You just have to feel lucky to get some games against the Pens and Flyers out of the way now, while they are finding their legs lol.

Re: fighting - Leafs have been on top of that game! Carlysle put Colton Orr back in the lineup and he fought two great fights. Mike Brown is always looking, but it seems not too many want to take him on. That little cunt Patrick Caletta almost shit his pants when Brown came on to him in the first Sabres Leafs game. Caletta acted tough when Kessel very accidentally bumped in to Miller when only the back of ONE of Miller's skates was still in the crease. Caletta landed on top of him and started wailing punches at the back of kessel's head as he turtled. What a fuckin asshole. Then when Brown came on to him during a face-off, Caletta looked like he was shakin in his boots. Mr. Tough guy pounding on the biggest pussy in the NHL...Phil Kessel. I hope somebody cleans that guy's clock soon.

The eons are closing
    Lino: I am surprised you don't like Kessel.... it's old german for "pot"

lol

Lino
    hahahaha I like his offensive talent. But he's far from a tough guy, he's not physical at all, and most certainly not a guy that looks to interfere with goalies because he knows he'd have to pay the price. That's why caletta is such an embarrasment. I'd like to see him try that shit with somebody just a little tougher... like Betty White.

I'm with you on Kaleta, Lino. He's a punk and deserves every boarding he receives Speaking of Mike Brown, he got the best of Asham in our match-up the other night. That's no small feat because Asham's as tough as they come in that weight class. And I can't believe Orr dropped big John Scott! Orr is entertaining as hell but he's going to get KO'd again. I only say this because he just goes in for the kill without any thought of defense. Fun to watch though!

Lino
    Damn, I missed the Rangers game for a concert that night. Of course, in a way I'm glad cause we got smoked. LOL Sorry to miss a good fight though. Interesting with Brown...he's American...his dad owns a Harley dealership in Wisconsin iirc. Now he has that biker 'stache goin'.