Page 106 of 403 FirstFirst ... 65696102103104105106107108109110116156206 ... LastLast
Results 2,626 to 2,650 of 10053

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    All I know is that I would never want to play for Randy Carlyle. He seems to hold his entire team in contempt.
    That's one of the changes I was referring to.

The Sens are toast having lost 2-1 to the Islanders at home last night.

Unfortunately, nothing much will change over the summer. They will probably let Milan Michalek walk away and try to sign Ales Hemsky who truly seems to have some chemistry with the ever enigmatic Jason Spezza. I mentioned earlier in the thread that Bobby Ryan lost a step earlier in the year and never got it back. Hopefully, the sports hernia surgery he underwent will solve the problem. Defence is still the biggest problem and they will have to do a radical makeover to get any better. Signing Chris Phillips to a 2 year extension was unfortunately, a big mistake. I like the guy but he needed to be moved out to make room for an upgrade.

Coach MacLean will have a rough summer trying to figure out how to unteach all the bad habits the team displayed most of the season and go back to the better work ethic of the previous season.

Anyway, Go Sharks Go!
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

This is obviously from last season, but I think it's applicable for tonights game.

Leafs_Bruins.jpg

Well, at least the Wings beat the Big, Bad B's last night, so they should be nice and mad tonight. Oh, wait....

HOLY MACKINAW! The Leafs pull out an O/T win.

I honestly wasn't expecting that.

Just got back from the Stars at Canes game. Probably too little too late for the Canes but they looked good tonight.

Dallas is gonna have to tighten up if they're gonna get into the playoffs, though. Outside of a 10-minute-ish, 2nd-period push they didn't seem to be anywhere near their best. But the Canes deserve at least a little credit defensively, because they dominated the neutral zone and for the most part kept Dallas from getting too many good chances. Khudobin made several timely saves as well.

Dallas had to pull Lehtonen (Lettin' in) so it was cool to get to see Tim Thomas in action (in person) one more time.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

The Leafs.....still with a pulse.....just enough to encourage that dangerous thing known as hope....

neil

It's a good think that I love roller coasters.

To quote Dave Mustaine: "Clinging on to life, by the skin o' my teeth".

The Leafs run the table, get into the playoffs, then run the table in every round to win the Cup!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    The Leafs.....still with a pulse.....just enough to encourage that dangerous thing known as hope....

neil
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Haha, you guys are killing me! Hey, anyone can lock up a playoff spot, or be sitting pretty with a week to go, but it takes a real team to consistently need to run the table just to have a chance.

Philly vs. the Habs would be an awesome first round matchup. A war, I'd say.

neil

It can't happen Neil, not with the new playoff alignment vs the order of the teams. Habs and Philly both sitting in the top 3 in their divisions which means they will play the first round within their division. Not sure if they stick with the divisional seeding beyond the first round though...

Not sure if they stick with the divisional seeding beyond the first round though...
    They do. Montreal/Tampa winner will play Boston/wildcard winner and NYR/Philly winner will play Pittsburgh/wildcard winner. Fixed brackets, even if one or both wildcard teams advance.

Gotcha! So the wildcard team stays in the division he ends up in based on his wildcard position, even if he's from the other division.

Whoever plays who, these are going to be some great match-ups!

Rangers pick up another point, but it was painful to lose the extra point with only 50 secs left in the game. Colorado is a damn good team!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Oh, the NHL and their new playoff wildcard trickery.

Montreal vs Tampa. I actually like the Habs chances better in this matchup, since the Bolts aren't as bruising a team, as the Flyers. If they can keep Stamkos in check, I think that they have a good chance.

The Flyers will need the goaltending to stay solid to beat the Rangers, no doubt.

neil

Bolts out played the Habs earlier this week. If it wasn't for Price it would have been a runaway. Habs need to establish more offense in 5-on-5 situations. Let's see how they do in Ottawa tonight. With the Sens out of it, I'm expecting a rough game.

Philly/NY in the playoffs will be a bloodbath.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Bolts out played the Habs earlier this week. If it wasn't for Price it would have been a runaway. Habs need to establish more offense in 5-on-5 situations. Let's see how they do in Ottawa tonight. With the Sens out of it, I'm expecting a rough game.
    Please tell #68 to keep his head up in the neutral zone, OK?
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Philly/NY in the playoffs will be a bloodbath.
    Rangers just don't have those types of players. We can't match Philly physically so it's all about hangin' on to the puck/forecheck. Gotta keep those fuckers from crunching our D into oblivion! Actually if Philly goes out of their way to play physical against us, it could backfire. That's what I'm hoping at least
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Rangers just don't have those types of players. We can't match Philly physically so it's all about hangin' on to the puck/forecheck. Gotta keep those fuckers from crunching our D into oblivion! Actually if Philly goes out of their way to play physical against us, it could backfire. That's what I'm hoping at least
    Well, I don't mean like that. I'd like to think that the goon guys wouldn't even be on the roster during the post season - no time for that crap then.

I just mean that it would be a hard-fought series - "hard-fought" in the context of the play.

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    Please tell #68 to keep his head up in the neutral zone, OK?
    You've made reference to a #68 twice in this thread but the Habs don't have a #68. In the playoffs last year iirc it was Lars Eller who got knocked out. He wears # 81.

I gotta say that the look on Paul " I Am The Walrus" McClean's face yesterday, as the Habs spotted him 3 goals in the first 5:50 only to come storming back with 7 unanswered goals, was priceless! This guy just went from the Jack Adams to the minor leagues in 2 seasons! LOL!!

I only watched the first period of the Habs/Sens game last night and it looked like The Canadian Tire Centre was 75% Montreal fans. Just watching the highlights of Pacioretty's hat trick, I didn't see any hats being thrown on the ice. So, based on past discussions here, is that tradition really over? Or is it just not cap weather and people have nothing to throw?

Canadians have a reputation for being 'thrifty' here in Fla. ! Those hats cost real money, eh ?

(but seriously, to lose a tradition like that, we all lose. Pretty soon the octopus will be forgotten too ......)

Once again we continue to cheer for The Great Gretzky!
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973