Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elbow?

Elbow?

Kind of curious what people here think of this band? I have been curious about them for a while and recently picked up their 2014 album (name escapes me at the moment). I can't figure if I like these guys or not. I mean.....I do like it, but I kind of have mixed feelings on it at the same time. Hard to describe......

Suspended
    Sounds like the right support band for Bent Knee.

Their two most recent were The Takeoff and Landing of Everything, and Build a Rocket, Boys!

Of the two, I really love Build a Rocket lots...some truly gorgeous stuff on there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NItwaz0nLJA

That said, I've never heard a single full album that blew me away...it's always a handful of tracks on each that really win me over, while the remainder kind of leave me neutral.

I'd love to see them live one of these days.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Sounds like the right support band for Bent Knee.
    Or Ween (US).

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Or Ween (US).
    or The Necks.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post

That said, I've never heard a single full album that blew me away...it's always a handful of tracks on each that really win me over, while the remainder kind of leave me neutral.

That is a pretty good description. There are some tracks on here that I really like and then others kind of leave me cold.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Macaroni?

Sorry, I thought we were playing Password.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    or The Necks.
    Or The Shins.

THIS: "That said, I've never heard a single full album that blew me away...it's always a handful of tracks on each that really win me over, while the remainder kind of leave me neutral."

I have the first one and "build a rocket boys" somewhere. The first one is nice(sort of a cross between PG era Genesis and Radiohead or maybe Coldplay).

I have all their albums, and I like them all. There's always something interesting going on, or just around the corner...

Their breakthrough album was the fourth one (The Seldom Seen Kid), which was huge in the UK at least and propelled them to arena status. However my favourites are the two that came before - Leaders of the Free World and especially Cast of Thousands, which is a tremendous album from start to finish. Saw them a couple of times before they became huge and they are great live - Guy Garvey's voice is quite something in a live setting.

Speaking of Guy Garvey, he's got a solo album out at the moment which I haven't heard, but I've heard the odd track on the radio and it sounds...well just like Elbow to be honest!

Really enjoying Courting the Squall. �� Seems a bit more consistently appealing to me than any of the Elbow releases, except for maybe Take Off... which I thought was great.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
    I have all their albums, and I like them all. There's always something interesting going on, or just around the corner...

Their breakthrough album was the fourth one (The Seldom Seen Kid), which was huge in the UK at least and propelled them to arena status. However my favourites are the two that came before - Leaders of the Free World and especially Cast of Thousands, which is a tremendous album from start to finish. Saw them a couple of times before they became huge and they are great live - Guy Garvey's voice is quite something in a live setting.

Speaking of Guy Garvey, he's got a solo album out at the moment which I haven't heard, but I've heard the odd track on the radio and it sounds...well just like Elbow to be honest!
    I also have all their albums and truly love them. Not all the songs are huge winners, but what band's catalogue doesn't have a few duds? As Stevie B says, "There's always something interesting going on, or just around the corner...". The music is subtle and incredibly well written. Guy Garvey has a very interesting way with words and writes beautiful lyrics.

While Stevie B mentions how huge they are, I've seen them three times and they are still playing little clubs here in Canada. Knowing how big they are in the UK, I am always so appreciate when they make the trek over here to tour. Their music can be a bit slow and low key on CD, but they really put on an outstanding live show. Guy Garvey is a fantastic front man and just looks like he's having so much fun on stage. Count me in as a huge fan.

I heard at first the band was going to be called Bowel.

Do they have a compilation album that's good? I so rarely ask that, but in this case, it might be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Do they have a compilation album that's good?
    Dead in the Boot is quite good. Of course it's a compilation of B-sides, so maybe that's not what you meant, but they're the kind of group whose leftovers are still on par with the things that properly fit on the albums.

I don't know of a comp from the studio albums, but Live at Jodrell Bank makes a pretty good overview (and benefits from Guy's warm stage manner as someone described above).

Brand new music from elbow:

I saw the Elbow at some joint.

It's gonna be hard to still play when they get older.

I love Guy Garvey's Peter Gabriel-esque vocals.

Build A Rocket, Boys is my favorite LP by this band.

Very cool stuff. Highly recommended.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Or The Shins.
    The Shins, Bent Knee, and Elbow would make good concert.

guy garvey, what a voice. the new king of wistful melancholia. fave track:

stunning performance on this track from MASSIVE ATTACK’s last one, “heligoland”:

Saw them at the Lucca Music Festival with New Order. Are they prog? Probably not, but they do what they do very well. They did a song from their next album ("won't be out for ages yet" said Garvey) which sounded good but nothing unexpected.

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    guy garvey, what a voice.

More than a touch of vintage Peter Gabriel there.

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot
    I love Guy Garvey's Peter Gabriel-esque vocals.
    PWNED