Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Yes finishes second in Rock Hall of Fame voting

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Well Yesshows wasn't an "studio" album per seh.. but I'd still give Patrick the nod for his involvement with all the touring that went on during his time with the band.. notwithstanding he played on Relayer..
    Got no problem with that logic!!! Relayer is good enough to confirm Moraz' induction.
    The Prog Corner

Though I don't like much of anything since Drama, I still think ALL members should be included. It's what Squire would have wanted, after all. They all made their mark in some fashion, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Well Yesshows wasn't an "studio" album per seh.. but I'd still give Patrick the nod for his involvement with all the touring that went on during his time with the band.. notwithstanding he played on Relayer..
    Moraz would be about the last guy that would get in, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Chicago. And it will be interesting to see if they get in, since they don't seem to be well liked among the RRHOF higher-ups.
    Chicago is arguably the most deserving act on the list, based on sales and other accomplishments.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Sort of second. Chicago was far ahead of everyone else, and then there were four artists - Yes among them - who all came in at the same number. The difference between #2 and #5 was less than one half of a percentage point.

I don't think it matters that they came in second - they got a solid amount of support that's all that matters with the fan poll (unless you come in first, probably).

I hope that they never get in (because I love these threads) but I do think that they will get in this year.

It is somewhat unclear how the public vote is used. At first it appeared to be a publicity thing with little actual influence. However, the Hall did say, AIUI, that at least 3 out of the top 5 in the public poll will get inducted. Which leaves them room not to induct Yes and Chicago!

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

The voting was clearly rigged. There is no way you get an obvious front runner and then four bands essentially tied.

The "vote as often as you want" was an easy way for the Hall of Fame to just add votes to make it exciting whenever it felt like it. I then remembered Furminous_B showed on the other thread that Yes was getting far more votes once the system change and didn't pay much attention then. But it is easy to make the change when so many have voted, fans and Hall of Fame staff just going in and jacking up the vote to keep it close.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    No...Yoko,...no Yes.
    Huh?
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    The voting was clearly rigged. There is no way you get an obvious front runner and then four bands essentially tied.

The "vote as often as you want" was an easy way for the Hall of Fame to just add votes to make it exciting whenever it felt like it. I then remembered Furminous_B showed on the other thread that Yes was getting far more votes once the system change and didn't pay much attention then. But it is easy to make the change when so many have voted, fans and Hall of Fame staff just going in and jacking up the vote to keep it close.
    Yes are the Baltimore Ravens of the music world!

My prediction is that the current lineup will be there:

Billy Sherwood
    Jon Davison
    Alan White
    Geoff Downes
    Steve Howe

I don't see how anyone from the current line up could not be included.

Plus I expect to see these guys in attendance:

Jon Anderson
    Bill Bruford
    Rick Wakeman
    Trevor Rabin
    Tony Kaye

The audience who will have mostly no clue about YES will wonder why guys keep walking out to say something. They wont' get that this band had many members and many lineup changes so they will probably laugh at that without meaning any disrespect by it. Obviously YES are more of an enitity than a band. They are kind of like a brand. The ingredients might change but the essence remains the same.

I would not expect to see(although it's certainly possible)

Patrick Moraz
    Trevor Horn
    Benoit David

I think that's it. The others(CS & PB) are obviously no longer with us.

I think it's safe to say Igor Khoroshev(sp?)won't be there since he left the band(fired)on bad terms.

Where did Purple place?
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Not sure. I would like to see a run down of the order of the bands votes. I think the Cars were third. DP maybe have been fourth. Chicago obviously kicked everyone's asses.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Huh?
    I threw that in there as a joke. Or, perhaps a joko?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

IMO if Yes is inducted this time it will be as much due to pressure to honor Chris Squire as anything else.

Regarding who is recognized it's probably necessary to have the current lineup at least in attendance, but if Anderson and Wakeman are not part of the group allowed to get up on stage and accept the award I'd be shocked. We all know Bill should also be in that group but I'll bet the majority of voting members of the hall have no clue who he is.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    if Anderson and Wakeman are not part of the group allowed to get up on stage and accept the award I'd be shocked.
    That would just be unacceptable.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

One hopes any possible induction will not get into Mike Love or Hollies territory.

Interested to have read this from a recent Jon interview. Wonder when he saw the band (if it was recently with Sherwood in the band)? Think it takes a fair amount of openness to have seen them.

http://www.dailynews.com/arts-and-en...rgery-and-more

Anderson has seen Yes with its frontman of nearly four years, Jon Davison of Laguna Beach. Anderson pronounced him and the band “great ... really good.”

He still thinks of himself as part of the Yes family.

“I’m still Yes in my heart and I still very much believe in Yes’ music,” he said.

Quote Originally Posted by realprog View Post
    Interested to have read this from a recent Jon interview. Wonder when he saw the band (if it was recently with Sherwood in the band)? Think it takes a fair amount of openness to have seen them.

http://www.dailynews.com/arts-and-en...rgery-and-more

Anderson has seen Yes with its frontman of nearly four years, Jon Davison of Laguna Beach. Anderson pronounced him and the band “great ... really good.”

He still thinks of himself as part of the Yes family.

“I’m still Yes in my heart and I still very much believe in Yes’ music,” he said.
    Spot the mistake in the following excerpt from the article:

The album contains rearrangements of such Yes songs as “And You and I,” “Wondrous Stories” (the title song from the second LP), “Time and a Word,” as well as the biggies – “Roundabout,” and their only No. 1 on Billboard’s Hot 100, 1983’s “Owner of a Lonely Heart.” The album also has instrumentals from Ponty’s catalog that have been enhanced with new lyrics from Anderson.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I think that's it. The others(CS & PB) are obviously no longer with us..
    There is Oliver W-- I don't expect to see him, but maybe his dad does.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Plus I expect to see these guys in attendance:
    [...]
    Bill Bruford
    Why? What has Bruford done to suggest he would have much interest in going?

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    Where did Purple place?
    Chicago 23.41%
    Yes 16.20%
    The Cars 16.14%
    Deep Purple 15.87%
    Steve Miller 15.85%
    Janet Jackson 5.88%
    Cheap Trick 1.45%
    The Spinners 1.28%
    Chaka Khan 1.16%
    Chic 0.84%
    The J.B.'s 0.59%
    N.W.A. 0.42%
    Nine Inch Nails 0.35%
    The Smiths 0.30%
    Los Lobos 0.25%

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Am surprised at how poorly The Smiths fared in the poll. They did have some cult success in the US...many UK indie bands never did.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I threw that in there as a joke. Or, perhaps a joko?
    If they recruited Yoko for their next release, I'd actually consider buying it.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

If the RRHOF had its way, it would elect these below bands in reverse order:

Los Lobos (Hispanic Rock band), Smiths (cool UK alt band), NIN, and then Chic and Chaka Khan because they are the epitome of rock n roll. Throw in Janet J - I think she is releasing a new album soon, so good promo for her.

Chicago 23.41%
    Yes 16.20%
    The Cars 16.14%
    Deep Purple 15.87%
    Steve Miller 15.85%
    Janet Jackson 5.88%
    Cheap Trick 1.45%
    The Spinners 1.28%
    Chaka Khan 1.16%
    Chic 0.84%
    The J.B.'s 0.59%
    N.W.A. 0.42%
    Nine Inch Nails 0.35%
    The Smiths 0.30%
    Los Lobos 0.25%

Yes getting in to the RRHOF with Squire not longer here is sad, ridiculous and pointless. Same with DP without Jon Lord.

Rush got in before Yes. Strange. But so is the RRHoF.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    I only voted for Yes, The Smiths and NIN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

No votes for Galahad or Aardvark? Seriously?
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!