Thread: Beveridge Speakers

Beveridge Speakers

Following on the audiophile thread, here's a question to the group: Has anyone here ever heard a pair of Beveridge loudspeakers?
    http://bevaudio.com/products.html
    I've been intrigued by the design since they came out in the early 1970s, but no local dealers have ever stocked them. I gather they're essentially hand-made in San Francisco. The company went dormant for a significant portion of the 1980s-1990s but now has been revived by the founder's son, as I understand it.

They're well out of my price range, but I'd love to know if they live up to the hype.

I did a quick check on the Hoffman forum and wow, not much recent talk about them at all. You'd think there would be more.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Banned
    Fascinating - I didn't know they were back, unfortunately I've never had the chance to hear them but would love to hear them or the B&W Nautilus, or the top of the line MBL speakers but alas they are all pipe dreams and would unleash the wrath of hell's demons from the wife even if I could...

The fave speakers I ever had were Allison 1's I listened too throughout the 80's and early 90's...

There is discussion on the Audiogon forum

Do you know what the cost is for the new ones? Can a mere mortal afford them, having a factory in Santa Barbara can't be cheap

https://forum.audiogon.com/search/in...uery=beveridge

Or maybe you can get lucky and put in a little elbow grease like this guy -

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/ind...estore.352331/

Quote Originally Posted by R_burke View Post
    Do you know what the cost is for the new ones?
    A mere pittance.
    The system, including two G3 woofer modules and a Bryston 10B line-level crossover, will initally sell for $50,000 but the price will increase to $84,000 after the the first five have been produced. (Two have already been sold.)

I heard the originals about 10 years ago.

They were extremely accurate and detailed.

But they were pretty problematic and would only play at about 85db. Not that I need rock concert levels, but 85 db is not even chamber music levels.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    A mere pittance.
    The system, including two G3 woofer modules and a Bryston 10B line-level crossover, will initally sell for $50,000 but the price will increase to $84,000 after the the first five have been produced. (Two have already been sold.)
    At $84K, they have stiff competition from the new Martin Logan Neoliths ($80K).

I've heard these for extended periods, and they are unbelievably good. Better than some of the dynamic ultra high end speakers for double the price.

p1142431007-3.jpg
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    Not that I need rock concert levels....
    Nice to have it when you want it though. The new models are supposed to be better, but this would still be a deal killer for me.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Nice to have it when you want it though. The new models are supposed to be better, but this would still be a deal killer for me.
    Glad for you that the price isn't a deal killer

Quote Originally Posted by R_burke View Post
    Glad for you that the price isn't a deal killer
    Hey, I have TWO kidneys. Or is that livers? I forget.