Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classical music: symphonies you enjoy.

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar

Classical music: symphonies you enjoy.

On the old PE there used to be some discussion about classical music, and I thought to revive that. The title has been chosen deliberately, for I do not only want to hear your favorite symphonies, but also symphonies that you've just discovered, that you think are underestimated, or series of symphonies that you've taken on as a challenge.

As for the last category, I've recently bought the Myaskovsky-box, containing all 27 (!) symphonies and some orchestral works with it. My experience so far is that none of them stands out, but all are at least interesting. It's a daunting task though, for each of the symphonies have Mahler-length. Also, Naxos started with a series of all the Weinberg-symphonies, also a great discovery. He has 22 symphonies, and 4 chamber-symphonies, some of which are in fact 'normal' symphonies. Coincidentally, Naxos also started a series for the Villa-Lobos symphonies, who are much better than I expected.

My all-time favorite symphony though is the mysterious 4th by Sibelius. Youtube has this stunning video of it, and the camera understands the mystery of it:

Other favorites of mine:

Brahms - 4th (especially the Kleiber-one)
    Vaughan Williams - 5th
    Shostakovich - 5th, closely followed by 8th, 10th and 4th
    Beethoven - 3rd, Eroica.

Underestimated:
    Shostakovich - 6th. A strange beast. Feels 'unfinished', but the first movement is so utterly brilliant.
    Dvorak - all the symphonies below 7. My current favorite: 3th. Hauntingly beautiful.
    Mahler - 3rd. Seldom mentioned as favorite, but I just like the themes and the children's choir.
    Borodin - 1st. I like it (a little bit) more than the (more familiar) 2nd. Both are essential though.
    Martinu - 3rd. But I could also pick another. I like the fact he always put a piano in his music (except for in his string quartets, duh).

given prog rock’s keyboard bias i am currently enjoying some french romantic organ symphonies. they fell out of flavour for some time due to an organ building movement back to “basics“ (so to speak), a rather pietist philosophy and a less megalomanic style of construction, composition and performance, but they are being gradually rediscovered and there is a lot of grand music to discover.

i am not too knowledgeable on the subject but jean marie widor’s symphonies #5 (with the famous toccata – “machine messiah”, anyone?) and #6 are a good starting point. camille saint-saens is another port of call. also, widor’s own students henri mulet, charles dubois, eugene gigout and leon boellmann have composed some breathtaking work.

I stick with the classics - Bach Beethoven Motzart my favorite by far being Rossini - Now that guy (not Motzart) knew how to put "too many notes" into a song.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    All 3 symphonies by Johan de Meij.
    Good call although I vastly prefer the original windband versions.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    Good call although I vastly prefer the original windband versions.
    I know the first one was originally written for windband, but alas it seems not to be available anymore
    The third one never was written for windband, according to the booklet. I don't know if there is a windband version of the second one.

Britten Cello Symphony
    Mahler 5th
    Brahms 4th
    Prokoffiev 1st
    Honegger 5th
    Vaughann-Williams 4th, 3d
    Lutoslawski 4th
    Ives 3d
    Beethoven 7th

Górecki - 2nd (Copernican) & 3rd (Sorrowful Songs)
    Most of the Shostakovich symphonies, notably 4, 5, 7, 10
    Berlioz - Symphonie Fantastique
    Mahler - 1st
    Messiaen - Turangalîla Symphony
    Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    french romantic organ symphonies.
    Dupré - Symphonie-Passion

Quote Originally Posted by Sunhillow View Post
    Shostakovich - 6th. A strange beast. Feels 'unfinished', but the first movement is so utterly brilliant.
    It most certainly is unbalanced as that first movement is longer than the remaining two combined. And what an absolutely devastating Largo that first movement is. Probably my favorite slow movement of all his symphonic works.

A short list of my favorite symphonies (I'm limiting myself to just one symphony per composer):

Joseph Haydn (1732 - 1809) - Symphony No. 39 in G minor

Joseph Martin Kraus (1756 - 1792) - Symphony in C minor

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756 - 1791) - Symphony No. 25 in G minor, K. 183/173dB
    The first movement of this is heard at the beginning of Miloš Forman's film Amadeus.

Ludwig van Beethoven (1770 - 1827) - Symphony No. 7 in A major, OP. 92 (Carlos Kleiber's my favorite recording)

Franz Schubert (1797 - 1828) - Symphony No. 8 in B minor "Unfinished", D.759 (Kleiber's my favorite recording)

Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897) - Symphony No. 2 in D major, Op. 73 (Bruno Walter & Columbia Symphony Orchestra)

Alexander Borodin (1833 - 1887) - Symphony No. 2 in B minor

Antonín Dvořák (1841 - 1904) - Symphony No. 9 in E Minor "From the New World", Op. 95 (Fritz Reiner & Chicago Symphony Orchestra)

César Franck (1822 - 1890) - Symphony in D minor (Montreux & Chicago Symphony Orchestra)

Jean Sibelius (1865 - 1957) - Symphony No. 3 in C major, Op. 52 (Järvi & Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra)
    I love the above mentioned Sibelius Symphony No. 4 in A minor, Op. 63, but I'm going to champion this unloved stepchild of Sibelius' symphonies.

Dmitri Shostakovich (1906 - 1975) - Symphony No. 11 in G minor "The Year 1905", Op. 103 (Stokowski & Houston Symphony Orchestra)
    This is a very "cinematic" (for want of a better word) symphony depicting the events of "Bloody Sunday", January 22nd, 1905 when 22 unarmed protesters were murdered by the Czar's guards in St. Petersburg. The cor anglais solo of the symphony's final movement, in particular, is like seeing red blood flowing on white snow...

Some that haven't been mentioned and a little on the obscure side.

Tüür: Symphony #4, "Magma" - composer from Estonia, very imaginative.
    Rautavaara: Symphony # 7 "Annunciations" - most prefer his other works Angel of Light or Cantus Articus.

Quote Originally Posted by helicase View Post
    Dupré - Symphonie-Passion
    found some excerpts on youtube. this is mindblowing. dank u wel!

Not big in symphonies (though I like a few, namely Dvorak's New World), given the extended orchestra

I'm more into chamber music (quartet or quintet)..

It's maybe my Fripposaurian side
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Symphonies 'sensu strictu' or just orchestral works?

Stravinsky - Le Sacre (well its a ballet)
    Stravinsky - Symphony of Psalms
    Stravinsky - Les Noces
    Stravinsky - Symphony in Three Movements
    Ravel - Daphnis et Chloé
    Debussy - La mer
    Debussy - Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune (too small to be a symphonie?)
    Dvorak - New world
    William Mathias - Lux eterna
    Bartok - Concerto for Orchestra
    Gustav Holst - the planets
    Gorécki - Symphony nr 3.
    Mahler's 2.

and many many others...Per Nørgaard, César Franck, Carl Nielsen, Martinu, Varese, Carl Orff ...
    Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 01-07-2013 at 12:35 PM.

Not much love for Bruckner, eh?
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

One of my favourite classical tune ever

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    found some excerpts on youtube. this is mindblowing. dank u wel!
    Glad you like it. Apparently most of Symphonie-Passion comes from an improvisation and Dupré only wrote it down afterwards. And according to some not until about three years later.

Bruckner
    Dvorak
    Beethoven
    Vaughan Williams
    Alwyn
    Schubert
    William Schuman
    Schostokovich
    Prokofiev
    Sibelius
    Robert Simpson
    Mahler
    and...
    Beethoven (yeah I mentioned him twice because he was the greatest composer of all time.)

I'm glad to see Shostakovich 11 getting a mention. It is very evocative and creepy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Symphonies 'sensu strictu' or just orchestral works?
    I was wondering that myself. But I'm going to assume the OP means orchestral works.

Stravinksky: The Firebird, The Rites of Spring, Petroushka
    Brahms: Fourth Symphony, German Requiem
    Debussy: La Mer, Suite Bergamasque, Afternoon of a Faun
    Ravel: Daphnes et Chloe, Valses Nobles et Sentimentales, Le Tombeau de Couperin, La Valse
    Respighi: The Pines of Rome
    Hindemith: Mathis der Mahler, Symphonic Metamorphises
    Dutilleux{ Symphony #2 (Le Double)
    Rachmaninoff: Piano Concertos # 1 and 2
    Rimsky Korsakoff: Scheherazade

I've grown rather fond of Henri Dutilleux Symphony No.2.It has some redolence of Ravel and Debussy but with Dutilleux's own unique touch.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    I've grown rather fond of Henri Dutilleux Symphony No.2.It has some redolence of Ravel and Debussy but with Dutilleux's own unique touch.
    Must be the French connection. But yeah, I think of him as a missing link between Impressionism and more modernistic classical sensibilities. I first discovered him through his one and only piano sonata, which I've always regarded as a fantastic piece. His earlier stuff was a bit more tonal and impressionistic; he got more "out" later.

Quote Originally Posted by LighthouseKeeper View Post
    Some that haven't been mentioned and a little on the obscure side.

Tüür: Symphony #4, "Magma" - composer from Estonia, very imaginative.
    Rautavaara: Symphony # 7 "Annunciations" - most prefer his other works Angel of Light or Cantus Articus.
    Hmm - I don't have this one. I only have Chrystallisatio and Flux (which contains Symphony #3), both of which I'd recommend. Forgive me if I'm stating an already known fact, but before becoming better known in classical music circles, Erkki-Sven Tüür led the progressive rock band In Spe, and released back in the late 70s/early 80s, and released an excellent (albeit short) self-titled CD, in addition to Typewriter Concerto.
    WK

Quote Originally Posted by WJK59 View Post
    Hmm - I don't have this one. I only have Chrystallisatio and Flux (which contains Symphony #3), both of which I'd recommend. Forgive me if I'm stating an already known fact, but before becoming better known in classical music circles, Erkki-Sven Tüür led the progressive rock band In Spe, and released back in the late 70s/early 80s, and released an excellent (albeit short) self-titled CD, in addition to Typewriter Concerto.
    WK
    I also have Flux and have heard others and I think Magma eclipses all, although I haven't heard Chrystallisatio. I think he is a very innovative composer who incorporates instrumentation of more modern music into the classical format.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_V4C1Gscw0

Gliere - Symphony no. 3 Ilya Muromets

I'm going to assume that the OP meant "symphonies," and not just orchestral pieces, since I've never encountered anyone who listens to a lot of classical music who interchangeably used the terms.

I'm not going with "best" or even "favorite," but simply my estimate of the ones I've played the most over the last 10 years.

They'd probably be:

Beethoven 6/7/8
    Ives 2/3
    Messiaen - Turangalila
    Shostakovich 5/10
    Mahler 6
    Haydn 100
    Schubert 8/9