Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Noisette

Well, I have looked up Noisette's outtakes and to these ears the edited out Facelift+ sounds mighty fine.

Facelift itself is boldly out and freeish compared to quite tame Third's collage version and the following vocal and instrumental solo improvisations (last 13 minutes) serve as a soothing outro. Harmonica solo is not as long and bad as suggested, while flute and "Eastern" chanting are peacefully blissful. Very good stuff that could easily make into a well-deserved Noisette's deluxe edition.

Will never happen? Steve, don't compromise because the music doesn't!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    Well, I have looked up Noisette's outtakes and to these ears the edited out Facelift+ sounds mighty fine.
    I like it. And the sound quality's not really any worse than what got released.

One problem; SONY owns Facelift, not us.

Facelift is edited out of Noisette, remember?

Please direct your requests to them.
    Last edited by Steve F.; 12-12-2015 at 10:29 PM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    One problem; SONY owns Facelift, not us.
    But you own the rest, so maybe there is a deal to be done. Archival live releases are all rage these days and there is a limited supply of seminal rock bands and their top-shelf recordings.

If I were Sony I would beg you night and day to set up a cooperation. You have curated one of the very best live vault series in rock music, for an iconic underexposed(!) rock band which also happens to be one of the best live acts of their time. And a very photogenic one.

If the majors do not come banging on your door yet I can only ask: why aare theeeeey sleeeeeeeeeping?
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 12-13-2015 at 07:38 AM.

You live in a happy fantasy world. Pat a unicorn for me.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

P.S. IMO

The fact that the harmonica solo is "not as bad as suggested" does not make it 'good'.

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

You live in a happy fantasy world. Pat a unicorn for me.
    Maybe. However if there is a market for a lavish 4CD box of Graham Bond's radio recordings (of rather varied quality), if each music store in my town (and there are many) displays a 4CD set of the Velvet Underground live tapes (half of which got already released a mere year before), I can dream of a unicorn bringing me an expanded edition of Noisette material with tasty extras in his mouth.

Dreaming is great.
    Enjoy your dreams.
    You don't even have to dream. You can hear it on YouTube, as posted!

If you think that Soft Machine enjoys the same renown and has the same sales potential as the Velvet Underground, please pat a rainbow colored unicorn for me.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

P.S. IMO

The fact that the harmonica solo is "not as bad as suggested" does not make it 'good'.
    Paul Butterfield's level it is not, but it is perfectly acceptable, just like, say, John Mayall's playing. A nice diversion from their usual proceedings. IMO.

Paul Butterfield's level it is not, but it is perfectly acceptable, just like, say, John Mayall's playing. A nice diversion from their usual proceedings. IMO.
    And you can listen to it whenever you want on YouTube!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

YouTube is great for hearing. A proper release would be great for listening.

If you think that Soft Machine enjoys the same renown and has the same sales potential as the Velvet Underground, please pat a rainbow colored unicorn for me.
    Of course it does not, but the four discs of the VU's live tapes are not exactly a blockbuster either, especially if priced in the range of 40-50€ in retail. However I do think that Soft Machine have potential to increase their sales potential significantly. They have everything: cool look, catchy songs, psychedelic freak-outs, jazzy blowing, minimalistic noodling. I think there is a growing audience for such music (and I am not talking about prog enclave), especially that is coming from the übercool vintage rock period.

Are they up to catch up with the VU? Probably not, but commercially speaking, they are surely ahead of Graham Bond already. Of course that is my European (non-prog) perspective. I have observed a significant change in music landscape in Europe in recent years. The proliferation of free music had one very positive effect here: a lot of people got suddenly exposed to music they had never thought it ever existed. And you can hear this change when you enter public spaces here: you are usually no longer tortured by typical mainstream pop or a fixed list of rock evergreens. The music ordinary folks listen to and play got really really democratised.

Whenever I enter a thread on Adele or Beyonce or Swift or Gaga or Miley and play some of this stuff, I just do not know most of their tunes. Something that was not possible a decade ago. And I think that even majors noticed this shift, because a mainstream release of a live Velvet Underground box (plus a string of multi-disc re-editions of their back catalogue) was unimaginable ten years ago.

And another thing I have observed is that people seem to get back to buying physical stuff again. After 15 years of unlimited downloading and streaming of every possible recording, people who are more into music have started to feel saturated and overwhelmed by overabundance and sensory overload. I have not seen such crowds in local music stores in LP and CD sections, such a good selection of titles in big retail chains, such a abundance of small joints selling LPs/CDs, such a dazzling array of great new releases since the 90s. And Europe has not fully recovered from the last crisis yet!

There is a visible shift in the music customer base too. Blockbuster pop titles are underexposed or simply missing (their fans have seemingly switched to streaming), but smaller albeit much healthier music fans community is hopefully starting to take root. A community with good eclectic music taste and not averse to spending a buck on vinyl or CD. The times they are a changin' and I am cautiously optimistic.
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 12-13-2015 at 03:50 PM.

Jay.Dee

I appreciate your optimism and enthusiasm. I really hate to be a wet blanket.

But we're not doing it. Licensing issues make it very difficult and there would not be enough money involved, no matter how much you wish to think that there would be, to pave over these difficulties.

Unarguable fact: Our sales for everything (even for the cool looking Soft Machine) have gone down drastically over the last decade. I am not able to spend time and money to make an increasingly small number of uber-fans happy.

The end.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

You live in a happy fantasy world.
    If for no other reason than he finds Soft Machine "photogenic".

Unarguable fact: Our sales for everything (even for the cool looking Soft Machine) have gone down drastically over the last decade.
    This tendency should rebound. I do hope for it. You deserve it like no other label.

There is one thing that begs attention: your releases are not available in local shops in Barcelona, bar one jazz store. And one can (more or less) easily find stuff from Repertoire, Esoteric, Burning Shed, Discipline Global Mobile, Hux, Sundazed, Cleopatra, Garden of Delights, Sunbeam, Real Gone, you name it. Generally no Cuneiform though.

Soft Machine CDs, studio or live, are omnipresent, but almost nothing from Cuneiform. And this fact may or may not have something to do with the subject.
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 12-13-2015 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    C'mon, their early photos are as vintage cool as bohemian flower power ever was. Of course, as they years went by the band was taken over by much less photogenic jazzmen, but at the beginning they were at the head of Swinging London...

Last edited by Jay.Dee; 12-13-2015 at 05:43 PM.

Dreaming is great.
    Enjoy your dreams.

I can draw you one, if you wish

And you can listen to it whenever you want on YouTube!
    Actually blocked in Belgium

yup, these guys were regular poster boys
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    yup, these guys were regular poster boys
    Poster boys or not, they knew how to position themselves on the market. Here is a recollection of Chris Spedding of his stint at Nucleus:

I like Elastic Rock album. But ... I just found Ian Carr a bit limited in his thinking. I thought it was part of this terrible jazz mentality in England which thinks if you get a bit of beer money that's fantastic. It reached a ridiculous situation where we'd be going out for about 75 pounds a night for the group, and people like Soft Machine who were getting ten times as much were coming to listen to us every night, and we were obviously in a higher league than Soft Machine at that particular time.

So I said there's something wrong with your basic thinking: why don't we hang about until we can get a gig for a thousand pounds. He said 'Oh no, we've got to play man, for our public.' I said cobblers, you're not doing yourself any favour at all, the band will just go down like that. Which is what happened, and it's been down there ever since.
    http://www.chrisspedding.com/bio/bio3.htm

This tendency should rebound. I do hope for it. You deserve it like no other label.

There is one thing that begs attention: your releases are not available in local shops in Barcelona, bar one jazz store. And one can (more or less) easily find stuff from Repertoire, Esoteric, Burning Shed, Discipline Global Mobile, Hux, Sundazed, Cleopatra, Garden of Delights, Sunbeam, Real Gone, you name it. Generally no Cuneiform though.

Soft Machine CDs, studio or live, are omnipresent, but almost nothing from Cuneiform. And this fact may or may not have something to do with the subject.
    That has to do with the stores not wanting to stock it, for whatever reason.

We have fabulous distribution in the EEC. Anyone who wants our stuff can EASILY source it...Maybe you should ASK these stores why they don't have them? My guess is that they'll complain that they are too expensive (they are imports into the EEC and there is customs duty and shipping costs stuck on top of the wholesale price and they sell for more than do domestic labels. If that's the case, there's nothing I can do about that).

Thanks for the kind wishes for sales to rebound. I appreciate the sentiment and am extremely skeptical about it happening.
    Last edited by Steve F.; 12-13-2015 at 05:56 PM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

We have fabulous distribution in the EEC. Anyone who wants our stuff can EASILY source it...Maybe you should ASK these stores why they don't have them?
    That may be a good idea, because just have a look. Here is the current Soft Machine stock of three stores which are normally well stocked with vintage rock CDs (there are more of them, but they are not online):

http://www.disco100.com/catalogsearc...achine&vinyl=0
    http://www.revolverrecords.es/buscar...y=Soft+Machine
    http://www.wah-wahsupersonic.com/html/shop.html (the full stock is in downloadable Excel file)

ONE Cuneiform release. And I cannot believe that these guys do not like your releases, because you have put out some the best material the SM ever recorded on tape. Something is clearly not working in the distribution chain.

Interestingly, the local jazz store has all the cream:

http://www.jazzmessengers.com/en/sea...&orderway=DESC

Ask them and let me know what they say. Private message is better if the answer is embarrassing!!!

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

1. One difference might be (and I'm not sure) is that most/all of those are European labels while Steve's is USA.
    2. You still have record shops? Lucky.

...please pat a rainbow colored unicorn for me.
    Never! Unicorns are godless killing machines, impaling just for fun.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

I like it. And the sound quality's not really any worse than what got released.
    I guess my bootleg ears make this all moot to me. I never had a problem with the sound. I think it enhances the whole album in a sick way actually. lol

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    A top notch release, IMO.

Virtually and Live At The Henie Art Center, would round out my top 3.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    A top notch release, IMO.

Virtually and Live At The Henie Art Center, would round out my top 3.
    I would add "Soft Machine and Heavy Friends" just for the septet tracks at the end - "Teeth" and "Pigling Bland" with the addition of Roy Babbington, Mark Charig, Paul Nieman and Ronnie Scott himself !

(Of course that would make it a Top 4 and your Top 4 may include this !!)
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos