Thread: Amazing House Hunting Find!

Amazing House Hunting Find!

Marty, my wife, & I were house hunting in Lakewood Washington. This home was vacant, but still had some of the owners things in the house. I was checking out the closets & such, when I came across an old beat up guitar case. I had to check it out. It's an old C.F. Martin parlor guitar. The bridge is in horrible shape.

I wonder if any of you guys can turn me on to someone who can tell me about this guitar. My realtor is trying to work it into the house deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know any shops in that area, I've never been out there. Googling around a bit, I found a place in Tacoma called Guitar Maniacs who seem to specialize in vintage. That's what you want, some people who can really appraise the instrument properly and what it might need in terms of work, not just a Guitar Center or whatever. I'm sure there are places up in Seattle too, but that's getting further afield.

Looks like a nice little 000 Parlor. It will obviously need some work, but if you can get it cheap with the house and want a project, it would probably be nice when it's fixed up.

Bill

Looks like some nice Brazilian rosewood on the back there. What a nice find.

Thanks guys!
    I thought the back looked like a rosewood.
    I spoke with my realtor today & he thinks we'll be able to get the guitar.
    I'll check out the Maniacs store when I get back to Wa..

About 10-20 grand 1911 Martin 0-42. Nice. If you have serial numbers post em!
    Last edited by Nijinsky Hind; 12-30-2015 at 01:27 PM.
    Still alive and well...

Wow, a Martin! What a find. it almost seems impossible that the owner would leave it there. I've never understood the reason for the value of Martins, I have played dozens, and never found them to be that incredible sounding, and definitely not that playable, but my Friends with Martins absolutely love them and treat them better than their wives.

If you do get to keep it, trade it in for a really nice Taylor. Now thats a guitar!

-Dont listen to me, I'm just saying what I would do with it - those who love Martins will stand up for them, but when it comes to enjoying playing a guitar its highly subjective and I dont think any of the line Taylors are anywhere near as highly prized as Martins - I just dont find them that playable for the money they are valued at. When I pick up a $5+k Talyor and play it, I feel instantly why the thing is so costly, I've never had that sensation about any of the Martins I have played.
    Last edited by Yodelgoat; 01-02-2016 at 12:13 PM.

The owner isn't interested in the guitar, it belonged to her husband, who passed away few years ago. Their children didn't want it either. The escrow should close by the end of the month.
    Yodelgoat, I'm a Taylor fan. I know what you mean about picking up a high end model, they really sing & feel comfortable right off.

Count me as another Taylor fan. I decided to get a new acoustic about a year and a half ago, and after trying Gibsons, Martins and a few other brands, I wound up with a used Taylor XXX anniversary model with a cedar top and mahogany back and sides. The guitar spoke to me like no other, and sounded and played totally different from the others I tried. I have nothing bad to say about the Martins, but I don't think I'd ever own one again after playing this Taylor.

Still, I'm itching to find out what this Martin find of yours gets appraised for, please keep us posted!

+1

Thats so cool that you may be given such an excellent bonus. I too am interested in how it works out and what the guitar is worth. You should take it to Pawn Stars!

Speaking of the comparison of high-end acoustics, back in the early '90's when I was ready to treat myself to a nice acoustic, I went shopping at Mandolin Bros in Staten Island, after several trips there to do side-by-side comparisons, I narrowed my choices down to 3: a Santa Cruz ($3000) a Lowden ($1300) and a Taylor ($900)...for my money and ears, the Santa Cruz didn't "sound" 3x better than the others (even though it cost 3x more)....long-story-short, I went with the Lowden....Point of the story is: The Production line Taylor stood head-to-head with the other HAND-MADE guitars I was trying out. (And yes, the Lowden was still being hand-made in Ireland at the time) I do not regret my choice as the Lowden has served me well and has aged beautifully.

For the record: I LOVE the sound of Martins but for me, the neck profile is too weird and I could never get comfortable playing one.

Yes! - Its not the sound of the Martin I find bad, They do sound very "clean" meaning they seem to have an even sound across the frequency spectrum. but its the neck that makes the playing difficult. With the Martins I've played, Its been the neck that was harder for me to play. Of course, I have stubby fingers, and perhaps thats the issue. I'm surprised there arent more people standing up for the Martins. They are really expensive for a reason.

So Boceephus.....what ever happened with the Martin/House deal?...............Inquiring GTR freaks want to know???