Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best use of [early] analog polysynths in prog?

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Steve Roach to this day still uses his Matrix-12 and Xpander. When he played at NEARfest, he had the Xpander onstage.
    I’m still not convinced that show was entirely live.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    This is not to denigrate the sounds of, say, the Rhodes Chroma, the Roland Jupiter-8 or the various Oberheims (just remembering the Oberheim 8-Voice part on Supertramp’s “Fool’s Overture”: classic!), but there’s just something about the CS80.
    I love all those synths, but the Jupiter-8 is easily one of the best. Johannes Schmoelling used it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    No, the GX-1 was a production instrument, albeit a very expensive one (and I checked a couple websites, the price tag was more $60,000!). I believe I read that less than a hundred were made. John Paul Jones actually owned a GX-1, you can see him using it on the Knebworth footage on the Led Zeppelin DVD. He later sold his instrument to Emerson, who cannibalized it to repair his old, heavily customized GX-1, which had been attacked by a runaway tractor. Emerson said the repaired instrument worked fine for awhile, until one day he took break in the studio to make a sandwich, came back 10 minutes later, and the room was full of smoke.

Stevie Wonder had two, one of which was eventually loaned to Madame Tussaud's for a display. I heard a story that Stevie's keyboard tech told once about moving the GX-1. Apparently, Stevie decided to move a bunch of his gear out of his studio and into a warehouse where he kept stuff in storage. The way the tech told it, apparently the truck driver didn't realize that there was one more item going onto the truck, so when he came out with the GX-1 on the forklift, the truck was gone. Since the warehouse was just a few miles down the road, he decided to attempt to deliver the GX-1 on the forklift. He apparently got about 3 miles before a police car pulled him over and informed him that he was going to have to make other arrangements.

The PS3300 was the polyphonic modular synth, wasn't it? I remember Emerson later in the 80's appearing in ads for Korg.

Yeah, you're right about Crichton playing the Multimoog in the Don't Be Late video. But the way he told in the one interview, they didn't actually have an endorsement deal with Moog Music, mainly because they already owned just about everything Moog was making at the time.

Could be, they had been using PPG gear since 76, I think, so it makes sense that Herr Wolfgang would send whatever prototypes he working on over for Herr Edgar and Herr Christopher could road test/R&D it or whatever. But they used plenty of other synths too.

I'm not sure about Tangram specifically, since there's no instrument credits on that one, but judging from photos I've seen from the Palast Der Republik concert from January 1980 and the tours they did in 81/82, I'm guessing there might also be some Polymoog, Prophet-5, and Oberheim OB-X. I know Chris Franke said he used an Oberheim OB-1 through a fuzz for a bit on side two of Tangram, which he said a lot of people had mistaken for Edgar's guitar. Later, around the time of Logos, I believe there's concert footage showing Johannes Schmoelling playing a Jupiter-8 onstage.

I met Paul been to his studio in Meridian MS and his collection of Synths would blow your mind we talked keyboards. He owned the PS-3300 but didn’t use that on “I Go Crazy” I made a list a of instruments that Paul used in the studio time frame all these timeframes and dates were all told by the man his self. He used The Yamaha CS-80 extensively he owned two of the them Paul said he used his CS80 so much one of his CS80s are in a church. On “I Go Crazy “ Synths used opening to finish As stated by the man his self. YAMAHA CS80 with the (Funky 1& 2 setting) also a Polymoog with Vox Humana setting used on some of the leads and a Yamaha Electric Piano. From his album singer of songs Teller of Tales to Cool Night The CS80 was very present and vibrant.

Paul H

Quote Originally Posted by Pekka View Post
    Larry Fast on first two Peter Gabriel albums. Especially "White Shadow". Polymoog, maybe.

Anthony Phillips on "Smallcreep's Day". ARP Quadra?
    Fast was definitely using a Polymoog on Sequencer and Cords, so it stands to reason that he would be also playing it on PG’s albums. I’m pretty sure Ant was another CS80 user.

And shame on me for forgetting Pablo “El Enterrador”! There’s some luscious Oberheim OB-X (or OB-Xa) on that album!

Also: L’orient d’Ô, a very underrated Canadian band. Keyboardist Lorraine Blanchard plays both CS80 and polyphonic Oberheim:

Paul Davis’s Keyboard Equipment

1970-1971: Fender Rhodes electric piano, Yamaha grand piano, RMI Electra, Farfisa Organ, Hammond B-3 organ, Moog synthesizer, EMS Synth

1972-1974: Minimoog, ARP 2500, ARP 2600, ARP Odyssey Mark 1, Moog Opus 6, Hammond B-3 organ, Fender Rhodes, Yamaha grand piano, EMS VCS3 Synthi

1975-1976: Minimoog, ARP 2500, ARP 2600, ARP Odyssey Mark 1, Korg MiniPops drum machine, Polymoog, Fender Rhodes electric piano, Solina, EMS VCS3 Synthi

1977-1979: Minimoog, Polymoog, Yamaha CS-80, Korg MiniPops drum machine, EMS VCS3, EMS Vocoder 2000, ARP 2600, ARP Odyssey, Yamaha grand piano, Hammond B-3 organ. (After 1978: Sequential Circuits Prophet 5 & 10, Fairlight CMI, Fender Rhodes, Solina and ARP Rhodes Chroma synthesizer.)

1980-1982: Fairlight CMI, Oberheim 8-voice, OB-X, OB-8, Yamaha CS-80, Yamaha grand piano, Minimoog, Polymoog, Memorymoog, Moog Source, ARP 2600, EMS Vocoder 2000, NED (New England Digital) Synclavier, LINN (Roger Linn) drum machine, E-MU Emulator, Sequential Circuits Prophet 5 & 10, Roland Jupiter 8, TR-808 drum machine, Fender Rhodes electric piano, Hammond B-3 organ. He told me this months that before his passing enjoy!!

Reminded of another (Canadian!) CS80 user, Jeff Fisher of Harmonium. He for sure played one on the Fiori-Séguin album, Deux cents nuits à l’heure, along with a bunch of other cool analog boards (He used an early monophonic Roland...something. (I believe it was an SH-5. It was whichever one had the angled control panel). I believe it probably shows up on the En tournée album, alongside tons of Mellotron subbing for the absent orchestra.
    Last edited by Progbear; 04-13-2022 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Renaissance used a Yamaha CS80 on Azure d'or.
    I was actually reminded of that yesterday when I was listening to “Kalynda,” one of my favorite songs off of that album (along with “Forever Changing”).

I guess David Sancious used a lot of polysynths on his first couple of solo-albums, like Just As I Thought.