Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Neil Peart Done?

Yup. Farewell Neil.

“Done” has an unnecessarily negative connotation. Have you any idea how insanely taxing Rush music is to a drummer? If he wants to bow out in grace, more power to him. Neil Peart has contributed so much music, if he had retired after Moving Pictures, he’d still be a hero (to me anyway).
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    “Done” has an unnecessarily negative connotation. Have you any idea how insanely taxing Rush music is to a drummer? If he wants to bow out in grace, more power to him. Neil Peart has contributed so much music, if he had retired after Moving Pictures, he’d still be a hero (to me anyway).
    Me too. Of all the music I love and listen to - Rush will always be my most cherished band. As a kid Neil was my first real drumming hero.

Yeah, good for him. He's made his contribution and it was a massive one. No need for him to keep parading around until his strength fails.

I watched the documentary Rush: Beyond The Lighted Stage , and really ended up liking those guys, especially Peart.

He came, he conquered, it's time ,I understand,

Same with Broof.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

It's been a great career. Lifeson mentioned he wanted the R40 to continue a little longer, and Lee is now talking about a 2nd solo album, so I see those guys continuing musical things.

Hopefully this means another Lifeson solo album, Victor kicks ass...

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    Hopefully this means another Lifeson solo album, Victor kicks ass...
    In latest Prog magazine Lifeson told that he is considering new soloalbum.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

^^^Autobuy. I think he's criminally under rated as a guitarist outside Rush fandom.

I guess Rush is done, then. As a fan, it feels pretty bad, and it hasn't even really sunk in yet.

I've never known a time in my life when Rush didn't exist.

I've not much cared for the Geddy or Alex solo albums, but I'll give any of their new albums a chance, if they make more.

I really hope that they don't get another drummer and carry on as Rush, but I don't think that is a realistic worry.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I really hope that they don't get another drummer and carry on as Rush, but I don't think that is a realistic worry.
    Geddy was quite emphatic in the movie that this would never occur. When they thought Neil was done after the tragedies that befell him, they were seriously envisioning the end of RUSH.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I haven't read the entire interview in Drumhead but if this is indeed 'the' retirement announcement it comes across as a little odd. Not surprising, mind you, but just different then I thought it would be handled. Personally I'm going to wait until we have an official word from the band before believing that Neil is completely done playing music.

With all that said, if he is indeed done, good for him.

Neil has gone in for a long overdue retirement. I'm thrilled that he allowed me, along with countless thousands, to be part of both his fascinating musical as well as his touching and moving personal journey to get to where he's at today. He will always be "the Professor" and I wish him much joy and happiness with his retirement.
    Last edited by StevegSr; 12-07-2015 at 03:27 PM.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Sad that I missed Rush's tour this year as I only ever saw them once (Test for Echo tour). I never saw Bruford perform.
    Last edited by ProgArtist; 12-07-2015 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Sad.
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

Bring back Rusty

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Bring back Rusty
    Are you referring to John Rutsey? He died in 2008 or 2009.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Yeah, good for him. He's made his contribution and it was a massive one. No need for him to keep parading around until his strength fails.
    This.

Was it me or did his voice sound bad in that video.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Was it me or did his voice sound bad in that video.
    He was singing like someone who couldn't hear himself.

Or maybe the real reason Peart is quitting is, he's heard Lee's singing recently.
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 12-07-2015 at 06:01 PM.

Too bad. I thought that Rush had entered a new era of songwriting and that they were just hitting their groove. From the way Alex and Geddy were talking in the interview on Serius Radio, that they were certainly not ready to hang it up. They both still loved playing out. Man it seems a shame to have so much left in the tank and to have one guy make the decision. I almost wish they would do like Kansas is trying, and keep replacing members to keep the music alive - Of course they have also lost their lyricist.

I wonder how things will play out. I certainly though that they would have one more album with no tour.

I wonder what it would be like to go to a show with just Geddy and a band, or Just Alex and a band. I would think it would definitely be a let down - Rush had once of the best live shows around. To be just shut down like this. I wonder if Ged and Alex were surprised by Neils announcement. They sure seemed like they were hoping time might repair some of the feelings of being worn out on the road. Once Neil's daughter hits 14, he may find that kids dont always see their parents through the rose colored glasses, and he may wish he could recant. There probably wont be any one-off shows either, because he's not going to want to play at anything but his absolute best. Today I am sad. Not only for me, but for Geddy and Alex too. I think they like me, still are in love with Rush. Walking away from that brand they fought so hard for... Ouch. For Neil, it was a job, for them it was a love affair with Music.

I wonder if we'll be seeing any books or poetry from Neil in the future or if he truly will "retire" from everything. I know he has many passions beyond music. Hey maybe a travel show. Of course it cant involve people he doesnt already know..

While I understand his desire to retire from drumming, and he has every right to make that decision and have it respected, I wonder if he might still write lyrics/poetry?

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

The dancer slows her frantic pace
    In pain and desperation
    Her aching limbs and downcast face
    Aglow with perspiration

Stiff as wire, her lungs on fire
    With just the briefest pause
    The flooding through her memory
    The echoes of old applause

She limps across the floor
    And closes her bedroom door
    The writer stares with glassy eyes

Defies the empty page
    His beard is white, his face is lined
    And streaked with tears of rage

Thirty years ago, how the words would flow
    With passion and precision
    But now his mind is dark and dulled
    By sickness and indecision
    And he stares out the kitchen door
    Where the sun will rise no more

Some are born to move the world
    To live their fantasies
    But most of us just dream about
    The things we'd like to be

Sadder still to watch it die
    Than never to have known it
    For you -- the blind who once could see
    The bell tolls for thee

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Bring back Rusty
    It's not funny but I guffawed just now.

Yeah Rush is over. Clockwork Angels was ok. Not a bad way to call it a day. I'd be interested in hearing what Rush could do with a new drummer.

I could see something like a new album in a couple years with a very few, very well selected, festival shows with one being streamed worldwide live.

But I don't think even that will happen. Re-reading Roadshow and his recent entries about this tour makes me certain he will never tour on even that small a scale again.

Yet, they have surprised us all over the years with one decision or another what the fuck do I know? I do tend to believe him but only time will tell.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000