Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Neil Peart Done?

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    on the R40 DVD he is really struggling singing the newer material live. he sounds good in the studio, but live he was terrible. by the second half of the show he got alot better. they have a day or two rest between shows, and still having trouble.
    I thought the first set was better myself. He sounds a lot more convincing to me with the more recent stuff. Too bad they had an off night when the film crew was there.

I'm just watching R40. I'll save the last hour or so for later, but a few thoughts on Geddy Lee's current singing voice:

He still has power and mostly good pitch. I'm not really hearing bum notes. As with many older and not so old rock singers, Geddy will sometimes substitute low notes for certain higher notes that he sang on the recording. His range is still pretty much there. He can get close to all but the highest stuff he sang in the '70's.

What I do notice is, he cheats frequently on articulation. He will skip over the last syllables of words, or certain vowel sounds, or S and T sounds. Sometimes an entire word ends up just being the main pitch and syllable. I figure it's either an energy and voice saving strategy for touring, or it has something to do with modern day in ear monitoring.

Other than that, the band is still spot on and the show itself is great.

That lack of articulation has been really apparent the last couple tours.

Yeah, if you listen to Rush in Rio he's pretty strong. It was the live albums that came after where I noticed the deterioration. Last live show I saw they were so freaking loud I couldn't tell the difference but on the live CDs/DVDs it's real apparent.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart