Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Non-British 'Canterbury'

^^

It was of course to German journalists to discover that Rick Astley was actually Geilie Kylie played on 33 instead of 45!

^ Well, that's the genius of Stock-Aitken-Waterman right there!

This is why it's called "crossover prog"; you cross over between paces, from 45 to 33. Astley's alibi!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    It's a CD, just not a legit one...
    I purchased this CD and I am very curious whether it is a pirate or not. Following Tom Hayes' ABC of pirated albums (no barcode, no liner notes, no digital remaster, no bonus tracks), I was initially excited about it being a legit release (the CD does have a barcode, does have liner notes and it is said to be Digitally Remastered). I was trying to find anything on the Paisley Press label, but not much is available, so it may be true that it is a bootleg.

^
    Awright, but tossing that aside - what's the actual sound like? Is it a needledrop or a digital extraction or what?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^
    Awright, but tossing that aside - what's the actual sound like? Is it a needledrop or a digital extraction or what?
    I would say that the sound is pretty good and clear. I tried to see if I could hear the pops that come with releases cut from used LPs and I can't. If it is a boot, it is a very well made bootleg.

Quote Originally Posted by aarongoldich View Post
    Hi Prog Ears friends!
    There are some really cool things posted here that I have never heard. Thanks for starting this thread!

My band Ampledeed has been referred to as being of a Canterbury style (funny enough, we hadn't even heard the term before that actually!)
    Our 2nd album doesn't come out until New Years day, but I thought I'd post a couple songs in case one or two of you might enjoy them. I'd say the first one is more proggy than the second.

Ampledeed - BYOB sneaky peaky
    Track 3
    Track 6

Ampledeed - BYOB
    Attachment 6454

This is not an ad!! just a happy message to my fellow prog-head friends. Hope you all have a fantastic New Year.
    Hi Aaron! I just discovered your band, via Prog Univers, in the UK. Great stuff!!!!

This webshop has it (and is somehow connected to many pirates)

http://www.numusi.de/abraxis/abraxis/jazzrock/5232/de/
    I don't think the Paisley Press Abraxis CD reissue is illegitimate: it's widely distributed (got mine from Amazon) and obviously not a needle drop transfer, though the sound is dull and lack dynamics and high end just like my original vinyl copy. I guess it's the way it was recorded then, with limited ressources time and equipment. Doesn't sound "remastered" to me (which could be a good or bad thing). A very nice album but I can't feel much Canterbury-vibes in it, much more soft jazz-fusion predominantly flute-based. Top notch musicians, especially Charles Loos.

Lots of HC/Art Bears inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Lots of HC/Art Bears inspiration
    I could - at times - be fooled into thinking it was Daggie.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

i get a fair bit of canterbury vibe when listening to ECHOLYN.
    sweden’s own BRiGHTEYE BRiSON.

happy new, healthy and prosperous new year, all!

Canada's Et Cetera expresses a tad bit of that C vibe, dont cha think?

Last edited by MJBrady; 01-02-2017 at 05:33 PM.

^^

It was of course to German journalists to discover that Rick Astley was actually Geilie Kylie played on 33 instead of 45!

…which is why many germans should not be DJs: they can't distinguish between 33 and 45 :dgtest

Hi dear friends!

My band The Worm Ouroboros, sometimes referred to as being of Canterbury-styled prog (at least we're inspired by many of Canterbury bands, like National Health and Hatfields) just released new album "Endless Way From You" on Lizard Records in Italy.

You may listen to it at thewormouroboros.bandcamp.com. Hope you will enjoy it!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Vladimir; 01-04-2020 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir View Post
    Hi dear friends!

My band The Worm Ouroboros, sometimes referred to as being of Canterbury-styled prog (at least we inspired by many of Canterbury bands, like National Health and Hatfields) just released new album "Endless Way From You" on Lizard Records in Italy.

Hi Vladimir,

I am certainly enjoying it! Great fresh sounding retro prog with sometimes a canterbury vibe. Very well done.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Was listening to it just the other day, well done, good stuff.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Wow, this stuff is stunning!

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir View Post
    Hi dear friends!

My band The Worm Ouroboros, sometimes referred to as being of Canterbury-styled prog (at least we're inspired by many of Canterbury bands, like National Health and Hatfields) just released new album "Endless Way From You" on Lizard Records in Italy.

Thanks for the heads up, Vladimir!

I've already got Of Things That Never Were by The Worm Ouroboros, and it's really good. "Shelieth" is a beautiful song. I enjoy that CD a lot, so this new one is high on my list of things to get next.

^ You better be quick. I'm not sure if they pressed less or what, but they're hard to find if you want the CD. I got the last one on Discogs, and there weren't any on ebay, Musicstack or the vendors I checked.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ You better be quick. I'm not sure if they pressed less or what, but they're hard to find if you want the CD. I got the last one on Discogs, and there weren't any on ebay, Musicstack or the vendors I checked.
    Do not Panic, I think it was released just on Friday. They are on Lizard Records a great Italian lable,
    so the Album should not be hard to find (ist e.g. on www.btf.it etc.)

^ Ah, OK. I hadn't considered that possibility because no copies were available on the Bandcamp page.

Thank you guys for your kind words! Disks will be available via our bandcamp page (thewormouroboros.bandcamp.com) as soon as they arrive to us.. - they hadn't yet since the album was released just recently. You also may get it from Lizard Records distributors (www.btf.it) especially if you are from the EU.

Moleslope

https://moleslopemusic.bandcamp.com/album/slope

First full-length release by Japanese instrumental band moleslope. The band uniquely blends elements of Canterbury rock, post-rock, and jazz, creating a multifaceted crossover sound.
    moleslope is a twin keyboard driven instrumental band that consists of an eclectic ensemble of 7 experienced musicians. Their multifaceted soundscape uniquely blends elements of post-rock, Canterbury rock, jazz, and minimal music.
    The band’s name was created combining the words “mole” from Matching Mole and “slope” from the beautiful slopes of Canterbury, England. Their first full-length release was titled “SLOPE” which was taken from the band name. The album features a soundscape that journeys down a slope of swiftly transitioning chronological sequences that were formed absorbing scattered essences of various ages in music and is a collection of tracks that is sure to appeal to fans of Canterbury rock, crossover jazz, Krautrock, as well as post-rock bands including Stereolab and mouse on the keys.