Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Non-British 'Canterbury'

Forgot to mention Jean Cohen-Solal second album - Captain Tartopome and Crium Delirium and Cheval fou (these two are more Gong-like)

Rascal Reporters

Dedalus

Caveman Shoestore

There was a great canterburesque project by one of the memebrs here which the name eludes me right now good stuff

This.

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Not sure where Mars Everywhere fits into this discussion.. they were one of those bands when I found the album (Industrial Sabotage) I simply took one look at the cover and said.. "This looks interesting".. Never have found that album in CD format...
    It simply exists only on original vinyl.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    This.

October Equus
    Nice pick
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I'm searching through my mental archives trying to remember if there were ever any properly Canterbury-inspired bands here in Norway, but I come up empty-handed. Panzerpappa and Jaga Jazzist both have Canterbury elements of course - JJ is especially Soft Machine-flavoured at times and Pp throw in the odd Canter-reference frequently. Then there was that band Circles End, which by their description sounded like it could be the deal, but on listening turned out to be rather boring jazz-noodling coupled with PT-like prog. Richard, help me out - did we ever have anything truly Canterburyesque here?

^ ^ ^ ^

Vanessa "Black & White" reminds me a bit of The Muffins, so I guess that that's Canterbury. And they were Norwegians.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Rascal Reporters

Dedalus

Caveman Shoestore

There was a great canterburesque project by one of the memebrs here which the name eludes me right now good stuff
    I was just about to mention Rascal Reporters myself 'Happy Accidents' is a great album with lots of Canterbury influence and their
    'Elegant Decay' release comes extremely close to Egg.

Quote Originally Posted by alanterrill View Post
    I was just about to mention Rascal Reporters myself 'Happy Accidents' is a great album with lots of Canterbury influence and their
    'Elegant Decay' release comes extremely close to Egg.
    Elegant Decay is kick ass. My jaw hit the floor when I read it was their high school band

Watch out.
    I have today heard the new album from Norwegian Needlepoint (of jazz origin).
    There is lots of Canterbury there. I'm not sure there is any intention, but lots of times I thought of SM, Hatfield and Gentle Giant.
    But its definetely something else.
    Its not yet in the stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Elegant Decay is kick ass. My jaw hit the floor when I read it was their high school band
    I'm glad that got a release recently -many years ago I wrote a review of their 'Happy Accidents' album and had some correspondance with them. We found we were both fans of Egg and Soft Machine and that we had both formed school bands - theirs was called 'Pigling Bland' (which they called themselves at the time of this school performance), and mine was called 'Pigling Gland'. Both of us had taken it from the Soft Machine track, not knowing at that time that Pigling Bland was a character in a children's story by Beatrix Potter. But whereas we did covers of Soft Machine and Pink Floyd, we could only do so as some of their music was available as sheet music that we could work from. We weren't good enough to be able to transcribe Egg from the records. The Rascal Reporters sent me several cassettes of unreleased material of which this school concert was a part. I was staggered, not only at their musical ability, but also that someone had actually recorded the gig and in good quality too.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Watch out.
    I have today heard the new album from Norwegian Needlepoint (of jazz origin).
    There is lots of Canterbury there. I'm not sure there is any intention, but lots of times I thought of SM, Hatfield and Gentle Giant.
    But its definetely something else.
    Its not yet in the stores.
    I've heard it too, and I can assure you it's very intentional - I'm writing the press release as we speak, and there are some prog stories to be told there. It's a fantastic album that will blow a lot of minds, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    ^ ^ ^ ^

Vanessa "Black & White" reminds me a bit of The Muffins, so I guess that that's Canterbury. And they were Norwegians.
    Yes, I keep forgetting about Vanessa. What a great album.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Both the Vanessa albums are very Soft Machine-influenced. City Lips is a little more funky, but both are worth checking out. And allow me some side-praise for the Compendium label; they released some fine stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Mr. Sirius - Barren Dream. 'All The Fallen People' is about the best Canterburyesque tracks not from the UK I've ever heard.
    I’m afraid I don’t hear any Canterbury in any Mr. Sirius, least of all this track. They were in that Japanese mega-symphonic sound that was all over back then. To be fair, they were far and away the best of the purveyors of that style; not just because of the quality of Hiroko Nagai’s vocals (she was in Pageant as well, and I didn’t like them quite as much) but the quality of the composing and arranging. They were just leagues ahead of their competition in terms of songwriting chops.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    There was never anything quite like Hatfield. IMO they were The Beatles of the Canterbury sound. They are one of the very, very few bands I ever heard that hit hard instantly and then just endured in head & heart. I'll never tire of them, and they never cease to amaze, surprise or teach me anew. The concept of "working on multiple levels" has attained such an aura of clichè about it, but with HatN this is the exact case.
    Indeed. Although they may not have been my favorite band in the 70s (although I quite liked them), for me they have grown into everything you describe.

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    OK I just remembered
    Bill Graham's ASCENDED MASTERS
    I remember loving their demos circa 2008
    Anyone remember ?

This is a great none British but very Canterbury feel Belgium Prog Band from the early 70's
    Bonfire - The Sage Of The Running Nose 1975

^

That Bonfire album is really good! Like the 'Canterconnection' between Finch and Focus.

The Pseudonym reissue of this was in my very first Wayside order back in '96, btw.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Holm-Lupo View Post
    Richard, help me out - did we ever have anything truly Canterburyesque here?
    Well, I've got both the Vanessas and actually contemplated posting that one short track off of Black & White, but (incidentally) that's the least Canterburian on the record. City Lips isn't all too Canter'ian, though. Sometimes I hear people mentioning Let Your Light Shine by Ruphus or even Transition by Moose Loose, but even though I enjoy both of those I hear preciously little Canterbury there.

Modern days? Yes, you touched upon the Pappzis and Jazzists, and there's the odd moment on that final Wibutee album, and the debut Tuna Laguna mini album. Jarle's tune for Pappzi, "Ugler i Moseboka" (one of the best things they've done, IMO), comes pretty darn close. Some Needlepoint, although it's very overtly "vintage" (espec the second album; really anticipating the upcoming one) in sound.

There are parts of the Alf Emil Eik record (Joy & Breath of Eternity, a rather dodgy affair) where you can hear the more Camelesque Canterism, and there are a couple of songs on the equally dubious Saluki record where they strive for it without actually succeeding.

Jacob, come to think of it, there's that Canterburian flux in "The Reach" on WWillow's Sacrament and - HEY! YOU wrote that!

Circles End suffered from the same sickness as some 75% of other "new" prog acts in Norway, in that the end result was always just so damn uneven and the standards incoherent. I suppose this is what sets some bands positively aside, like the aforementioned JJazzist, WWillow, Wobb and a few others.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Sonia_Mota View Post
    This is a great none British but very Canterbury feel Belgium Prog Band from the early 70's
    Remind me to tell you how precious you are next time I speak to you
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonia_Mota View Post
    I loved that -sort of Samlas crossed with Gilgamesh. Seems to sell at high prices, even the CD re-issue -does anyone know if its available as a download anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Not sure I would call Esperanto Canterbury
    I never implied that, Hugues - I simply noted that Abraxis had a member connection.

I'd say Esperanto were far more towards the Stoke sound. We should have a separate thread on that. Neo Stoke, for instance. Or Post-Stoke.

I never implied that, Hugues - I simply noted that Abraxis had a member connection.

I'd say Esperanto were far more towards the Stoke sound. We should have a separate thread on that. Neo Stoke, for instance. Or Post-Stoke.
    I'm all game for this, as I'm not aware of what the Stoke sound is.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

^

The early, more progressive stages of Rick Astley's stuff.

^

The early, more progressive stages of Rick Astley's stuff.
    who??

Isn't he some kind of 80's disco king??